Why become a member? ×

For those who want a wide spaced Stingray 5,

Darkstrike

EBMM said they'll do a run of them(and make it a standing option), if they can get 125 orders for one in the next two weeks.

Black finish, maple or rosewood fretboard.

[url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/poll-should-musicman-issue-5-strings-19mm-spacing-780290/"]http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/poll-shou...spacing-780290/[/url]

Check here starting at post 224.

[quote name='Darkstrike' post='1277849' date='Jun 21 2011, 10:29 PM']Supposedly you'll be able to buy them right from the site, here.[/quote]

Can't see that happening - EB block US dealers exporting a bass to Europe or anywhere else.

[quote name='Platypus' post='1277882' date='Jun 21 2011, 10:56 PM']Can't see that happening - EB block US dealers exporting a bass to Europe or anywhere else.[/quote]
You can order and buy direct from EBMM, ask musicman20. Not really something that bothers me anyway I'm happy for different basses to feel different, Jazz feels like a jazz, ray feels like a ray etc it's all part of the fun for me.

Edited by stingrayPete1977

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1277900' date='Jun 21 2011, 11:06 PM']You can order and buy direct from EBMM, ask musicman20. Not really something that bothers me anyway I'm happy for different basses to feel different, Jazz feels like a jazz, ray feels like a ray etc it's all part of the fun for me.[/quote]

I'll take your word for that - I was talking about ordering form US EB dealers

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1277900' date='Jun 21 2011, 11:06 PM']You can order and buy direct from EBMM, ask musicman20. Not really something that bothers me anyway I'm happy for different basses to feel different, Jazz feels like a jazz, ray feels like a ray etc it's all part of the fun for me.[/quote]

Personally I actually prefer medium spacing to wide, but it seems a lot of guys need that room.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1277937' date='Jun 21 2011, 11:38 PM']Or do they think they do because of threads telling them if they are moving from a four they must have exactly the same as there four string bass?[/quote]
Bit of both.

I know some people who it physically hurts to play too tight string spacing for any length of time.

I know some people who it physically hurts to play too wide string spacing for any length of time, too.

Some it's just a tech issue, like them double thumpy fellows.

Some I imagine like familiarity between their instruments.

Some may just want to be cool.

Some may just be following the pack, I suppose, I don't really know.

[quote name='Shockwave' post='1277962' date='Jun 21 2011, 11:52 PM']Any ideas on pricing? I am very tempted and I have the money![/quote]

Same as a standard SR5, but it could be at retail, I don't know.

EDIT, won't be long before it's up on that link, they said Tuesday, but I dunno if that's Tuesday today, or in a weeks time.

Edited by Darkstrike

[quote name='Darkstrike' post='1277967' date='Jun 21 2011, 11:57 PM']Same as a standard SR5, but it could be at retail, I don't know.

EDIT, won't be long before it's up on that link, they said Tuesday, but I dunno if that's Tuesday today, or in a weeks time.[/quote]

And how much would retail/standard SR5 cost? ha.

Might go for the single H meself.

[quote name='Shockwave' post='1277970' date='Jun 22 2011, 12:03 AM']And how much would retail/standard SR5 cost? ha.

Might go for the single H meself.[/quote]

1500 usd, for the US buyers, IIRC, I don't know how it'd work out for someone buying it here direct from them, weather they'd charge more, or just import tax and the usual from importing axes.

If they were that price I would have one too! I bet a single H would be £2000 with a uk warranty and stuff more if you add an extra H and although no one pays full hang tag price in the real world I bet you would have to pay full for these. All that if the first prototype batch even got out of the states past US buyers.

By the way, here's the quote from BP on the EBMM forums:

[quote]Big Harry has said it is no big deal to make this bass. Big Im sort of calling Harry and the rest out here with respect but here is the tooling alone for the 19mm bass

Bridge Tooling $5,000.00
Bobbin Tooling $9,500.00
Pick Up cover Tooling $4,000.00
compensated nut tooling $2,000.00
Total Tooling $20,000.00

Engineering time 100 hrs at $150.00 $15,000.00

Parts about $20,000.00
Total investment for 19mm bass $55,000.00

I have the purchasing department giving me the minimum quantities and our cost for the cost of the actual parts needed....Best guess $20,000.00 in inventory needed..But I will get back to you on this....

I will open this product up for order....For a two week window...You can buy it through shopatron on our site...it will be a single or double h sr5 19mm spacing Black only rosewood or maple fretboard...fretted only Same retail as the SR5.

Lets see who is right. If we sell 125 in a two week period I will make them and offer them ongoing basis and send everyone a signed certificate saying they were right.

If we cant sell 125 ...will you post an apology to us? Will you give us the benefit of doubt in the future? Will some start considering that there is more to bringing an easy product as some have said to market?

Figure it out I will not make a dime it will cost me money to make the 125 based on the tooling and inventory involved.

Scotty is setting up the shopatron...Understand that these are binding orders....unless the public fails to order 125...we will be charging your credit card a 50% deposit upon placement of the order. The deposit will only be refundable if the orders fail to meet the 125

Its a big world and we sell Music Man in about 75 countries....If there is a pent up demand we really should sell 500.[/quote]

The original can be seen [url="http://www.ernieball.com/forums/music-man-basses/50096-its-ignorance-like-really-upsets-me-5.html#post826037"]here[/url]

[quote name='Darkstrike' post='1277999' date='Jun 22 2011, 12:29 AM']You can have maple, rather than rosewood.[/quote]

Yeah I just re-read and realised that, damn you for quoting me before I deleted my post haha. :) I thought the quote from the original post would explain it better so I just removed my whole post.