Why become a member? ×

'81 G&L L-1000

A very rare opportunity. -> [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110705628271&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:GB:1123"]linky[/url]

The pics could be better but I'd say this was a mahogany body. The fact that it is near mint is a bonus and hints at his BIN being on the low side.

[quote name='gareth' post='1277573' date='Jun 21 2011, 07:39 PM']Looks like a maple neck to me???[/quote]
Yeah he's had a brain fart while writing up the auction...

... however it's setting alarm bells ringing now (rare bass, dodgy pics). Any potential buyers should do some proper checks with the seller before committing. It is Collection in Person though which is somewhat reassuring. The year of manufacture and the serial tie up ... but I guess you could simply pull that info off the net if you wanted.

I'm absolutely kicking myself about this. I have a USA L2000 and I've been looking for a passive version for ages. The L-1000 would be close to a dream bass for me.

I keep telling myself that there must have been something dodgy about the deal/the seller, if it looks too good to be true then it probably is, suspiciously cheap, sombody may well get scammed or ripped-off here (let's hope not), better off out of it, etc.

Didn't stop me from emailing the seller to say "If the deal falls through, let me know". *sigh* :)

Just in case the seller does get back to me, can the G&L experts out there offer their opinions on:

How does the tone of the L-1000 compare to the L-2000? I generally play the L-2000 on "combined pup" setting, occasionally front pup only setting.

What checks would you carry out to satisfy yourself the bass is genuine?

What would you be prepared to pay for it?

Steve

[quote name='solo4652' post='1289243' date='Jul 1 2011, 04:33 PM']Sold for £459!! I'm absolutely amazed. Staggered. I quite thought it would fetch over twice that. What's the story here?[/quote]

I won it and paid for it thru paypal

But the seller has refunded the money thru paypal and says he is not gonna sell it to me as its too cheap.

Oh well :)

[quote name='solo4652' post='1290241' date='Jul 2 2011, 04:32 PM']Oh good (for me). No, wait - that's bad (for Gareth). Once the bidding has started and it's allowed to run its course (and providing any reserve has been met), isn't the seller obliged to sell?[/quote]

Yes I suppose so - but how you gonna make the seller sell the bass?

I guess ebay will give him some grief but as he is a new ebay seller i doubt if it will get him to change his mind and realistically what can ebay do?

[quote name='solo4652' post='1289984' date='Jul 2 2011, 12:09 PM']Just in case the seller does get back to me, can the G&L experts out there offer their opinions on:

How does the tone of the L-1000 compare to the L-2000? I generally play the L-2000 on "combined pup" setting, occasionally front pup only setting.

Steve[/quote]

Aha! I've just received this email from the seller:

"I tried to cancel the auction but ebay wouldn't allow it ...would be nice to speak to a human intead of FAQ's and avatars. Anyway the winning bid has been refunded as I would only sell at a BUY IT NOW price in excess of £1100. Sorry for the confusion but as I said the ebay set up is new to me."

[quote name='solo4652' post='1289984' date='Jul 2 2011, 12:09 PM']Just in case the seller does get back to me, can the G&L experts out there offer their opinions on:

Steve[/quote]

The L-1000 has three modes on the switch - humbucking, single coil and OMG mode. The stock L-2000 lacks single and OMG modes in favour of series/parallel, but does have two pickups.

OMG mode is a weird thing where the humbucker is connected in series and a cap is applied to one of the coils. What should end up as less sounds like so much more, probably a trick of the ear because it makes no sense electronically to me.

I'm considering changing my Tribute L-2000 to be an all passive affair with a single/humbucking/OMG switch for each pickup and a selector switch. I never use the active options (active is just a line boost as far as I'm concerned and the treble boost just sounds nasty to me) and the EQ is passive cut only so I'd rather explore the deepest, darkest depths of the MFD pickup. I also think it would be interesting to hear the bridge pickup with OMG mode. A bridge pickup with some meat to the sound? I hope so.

Edited by neepheid