Why become a member? ×

Advice on using a Fender Bassman 135

Jigster

I have never used my Fender Bassman 135 in anger, so to speak, but contemplating using at an upcoming gig. It projects well in rehearsal through a 4x10 cab, but interested how people think its wattage will project in a small club atmos - guessing 100-200 capacity type place - it has Line Out facility, but no DI.

Any thoughts welcome.

[quote name='Jigster' post='1277487' date='Jun 21 2011, 06:48 PM']sure, for onstage sound do you mean? but as there's a band PA installed, I guess my question is would the basic wattage provide enough power though the Line Out and back through the pa to project amongst the mix?[/quote]

Ah.
I think I get what you're asking.

The line out socket is independant of the power amp and just sends a line level signal to the mixing desk.
It makes no difference if your amp is 20W or 1000W, that line out signal remains the same.

I had a Fender Bassman 135 & I'm confused by this post. I normally had to turn it down. They are LOUD heads and we were doing some decent sized clubs.

It did really well in smaller pubs too. Only sold it to fund my divorce :)

Edited by BurritoBass

[quote name='Jigster' post='1277549' date='Jun 21 2011, 08:30 PM']...i'm cautious of not carrying enough wattage :)[/quote]
Good evening, jigster...
You're carrying enough wattage. You have enough for playing outdoors (more especially as there's a FOH PA...). Is the guitar impinging on your frequency band, though..?

[quote name='Dad3353' post='1277580' date='Jun 21 2011, 07:44 PM']Good evening, jigster...
You're carrying enough wattage. You have enough for playing outdoors (more especially as there's a FOH PA...). Is the guitar impinging on your frequency band, though..?[/quote]

Hi Dad, I think there's always a possibility of that but i sort of eq for as much seperation as possible - the Bassman sounds punchy and woody and clear as a peach with the mids up nice and high - on both channels by the way, connected via a patch cable - so I think we're some way to dealing with it

after the worrying, this played and sounded fantastic - in combination with my 1980 Ibby Roadster with both channel 1 and 2 patched together, setting at 8.5 master vol, mids on both channels on 8, bass at 6, trebs at 6, through a TC 4x10 it produced a really sweetly driven JJ/Stranglers type sound that made playing a pleasure.

Happy.

That's good to hear. I often think it a mistake to go chasing the volume of the gtrs... and a Bassman should be plenty loud enough..if it isn't..then the problem is in the gtr..so he should turn down or soak it.

I guess it depends what the gtrs use..most of the guys we use round here have between 12 and 40 watts. They might run 2 mini cabs though..!!!!