Why become a member? ×

Death of my DB

BASainty

Literally happened 20 mins ago I was playing finger style on my DB when I heard a huge crack and the bridge flew across my room where I found out the tail piece have ripped off the bottom of the bass.
the strings are now also ruined and since I only payed £445 for it i dont think its even worth repairing.

To be honest im not sure what to do can anyone help?

Pictures to follow...

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' post='1274143' date='Jun 18 2011, 09:26 PM']Is it just the tailpiece cable that's snapped, or is there other damage? If it's just the cable, that should be an easy and cheap repair. As long as the soundpost is still in place, you may not even need to visit a luthier.[/quote]

The sound post has moved with closer inspection.
Is it worth spending the money on? coz I do have a fear that i will spend money on getting it sorted and something else going wrong with it like you know?

[quote name='Mr Bassman' post='1274202' date='Jun 18 2011, 10:23 PM']Well we'd better give them some publicity![/quote]

Sounds like a plan lol.
Now I just got to find out how much its gona cost for a set of new strings and to get the sound post reset.

[quote name='4StringFortress' post='1274200' date='Jun 18 2011, 10:20 PM']Gear 4 Music thats who I bought it from.[/quote]
Im not an expert, but my opinion is that they're trying it on - your statutory rights are that it should be free from defects. It should last a reasonable length of time - usually six years is considered fair for most items. This is not wear & tear, neither is it accidental damage, this is an essential piece of the instrument flying off which appears not to have been put together properly. Any guarantee provided is extra to your rights under the Sale of Goods Act so their "one year guarantee" does not permit them to weasel out of your statutory rights.

Find your local authority leaflet pdf at [url="http://www.tradingstandards.gov.uk/advice/problemswithgoods-sum19.cfm"]http://www.tradingstandards.gov.uk/advice/...goods-sum19.cfm[/url]
"Under the Sale of Goods Act you are allowed a reasonable length of time to check that the goods comply with the above requirements. This is a very short period of time. If the goods do not comply, you are entitled to reject them and claim a full refund. Once this acceptance period has passed, [b]you may still be able to claim damages for any defects that appear during use up to a period of six years[/b], dependant on the type of goods. Damages will normally amount to the cost of repairs and any other losses which arise directly from the fault"

You may have to fight them, but I think you should be able to get them to pay for the repair.

When the battery on my MacBook started expanding, causing the laptop to rock on the desk, I took it into the Apple Store and even though it was well over three years old and I didn't have Applecare, they cheerfully swapped out the battery for a new one at no charge to me without me even having to suggest that this would be my preferred course of action. Unfortunately most retailers are unaware (or do they pretend to be unaware) of statutory rights

Edited by Jean-Luc Pickguard

[quote name='4StringFortress' post='1274213' date='Jun 18 2011, 10:34 PM']Thanks for the advice Monday morning im going to be back on to them and see what I can do.
Thanks again.[/quote]
There should be someone you can speak to at your local authority trading standards who'll know a lot more than I do - it'll be good to be armed with a bit of info with recommendations from an expert for the next steps you may need to consider to get this resolved. Probably best to do this before getting back to the retailer.

It could be that the person answering the phone at the retailer had little knowledge of policies or no authority to make a decision in your favour. As you've already been fobbed off once, when you call, ask straight away to speak to the General Manager or a director - they might have a better grasp of their responsibilities.

Read the last paragraph here: [url="http://www.gear4music.com/content/index?int_content_item_id=5"]http://www.gear4music.com/content/index?in...ntent_item_id=5[/url] - looks like they're aware of the regulations but it seems to imply that they might try to make it hassle for you to claim, but if you play it by the book, I think they'll have to sort it out for you.

Keep us all posted & Good Luck!

I would take it to a luthier and get a better cable fitted (no point replacing it with more of the same).

Unless you're planning to re-sell the bass at some point in the future and/or you hate the sound of it, then any small (cheap) improvements are worth doing. Unless you have to do a lot of them.

Looks like a cheap repair though, unless you need a new tailpiece - they can be expensive and it's the one part of the bass where I really don't understand why it is expensive.

Tailpiece wires do go sometimes - mine went after about a year, and I replaced it myself.
Advice from my luthier is that the nylon ones are definitely not worth using - Wittner wires ones are much better.
Soundpost adjustment might take a luthier, but shouldn't be too expensive.

I dont think I need a new tailpiece.
And the tailpiece wire was a stainless steel wire already and it still snapped.

Would it be worth taking it to a luthier and spending a bit more money getting it repaired with a better quality wire and set up properly?
(I havnt had the bass set up before)

Would it make much of a difference if I got it setup?

[quote name='4StringFortress' post='1274427' date='Jun 19 2011, 09:18 AM']I dont think I need a new tailpiece.
And the tailpiece wire was a stainless steel wire already and it still snapped.

Would it be worth taking it to a luthier and spending a bit more money getting it repaired with a better quality wire and set up properly?
(I havnt had the bass set up before)

Would it make much of a difference if I got it setup?[/quote]

1. if the tailpiece wire was solid core steel then they are liable to snapping - the advantage of stranded steel wire is that you can tell if it's on the way out. I was advised to change by a luthier for just this reason. cost about a tenner.

2. yes, definitely!

3. yes, definitely! :)

you should notice quite a big difference - really worth a try and you shouldn't be looking at much more than about £50 or so....

Edited by daflewis

[quote name='daflewis' post='1274532' date='Jun 19 2011, 11:03 AM']1. if the tailpiece wire was solid core steel then they are liable to snapping - the advantage of stranded steel wire is that you can tell if it's on the way out. I was advised to change by a luthier for just this reason. cost about a tenner.

2. yes, definitely!

3. yes, definitely! :)

you should notice quite a big difference - really worth a try and you shouldn't be looking at much more than about £50 or so....[/quote]

Just had a look and it was a stranded steel wire.

Thats cool I will have a look at getting it setup properly,
only thing is I also now need a set of new strings have you or anyone got any suggestions for a decent but not too pricey set?

Get yourself on [url="http://www.gollihurmusic.com/category/5-STRINGS.html"]Bob Gollihur's[/url] site. A great resource with plenty of information on how each set of strings he sells work, feel etc. You're probably looking at a set of Corelli's which are $106, so about £60? Not bad at all really.

Back to the original topic, any bass which is budget or even pro can fail, it's just part of the course of owning and playing such instruments. Like others have said, a new set of strings, repair at a luthier ad set up will give your bass a new lease of life and will probably feel completely different when done. This money you're now spending is the trade off of buying budget against better used instruments. But there's no guarantee's either way.

Thanks man thats a great website and i am fancying a set of Corelli 370's now.

Yeh at the time I never thought about getting second hand and I was on a tight budget so I thought I would go for a budget upright, im not sure if I have shot myself in the foot now so I just hope that the repair, new string and a set up will bring it up to an ok standard.

I used to use the corellis (though i've moved on since); but they're a good string for someone just starting out on db as they're very light.

I would always recommend buying second hand, as new instruments (especially cheap ones) are liable to warping and cracking because the wood often hasn't been properly seasoned.

[quote name='4StringFortress' post='1274131' date='Jun 18 2011, 09:10 PM']Literally happened 20 mins ago I was playing finger style on my DB when I heard a huge crack and the bridge flew across my room where I found out the tail piece have ripped off the bottom of the bass.
the strings are now also ruined and since I only payed £445 for it i dont think its even worth repairing.

To be honest im not sure what to do can anyone help?

Pictures to follow...[/quote]

'Death of my DB' LOL, winner of the most over-stated thread BC title ever :) I'm disappointed, I was expecting to see firewood, damaged light fittings and personal injuries!

Seriously, that's about as cheap a DB repair as you can get, in fact a broken string would likely cost you more. All the above advice is good, but IMO to chase the original shop over this is simply more trouble and stress than it's worth. It's actually a good opportunity for you to start experimenting with different components and start upgrading your instrument. Have fun.

It's happened to me twice. First was during the gig when it was quite spectacular. It was so long ago that I don't remember who repaired it - it might even have been me. Second was when I was tuning up and the more I turned up the lower the note became. It was on my Meinel which was a quality bass but on which they'd put cheap single core tail wire with the strength of a welding rod- yes, that soft. Peter Tyler put a good length of twisted cable (yacht rigging?) while I waited and no more probs.

So, in common with what the others have said, breaking a tail wire is not a big deal in the whole scheme of things. I'd forget gear4 and spend out on a local luthier and maybe he'll do it while you wait. You can see what he does and in so doing you'll learn a lot more, such as how the strings are removed and reset, ditto the bridge.

BTW, during the second interval of a gig last Friday I heard a crash followed by a bass noise and a crack. My bass had been resting on its side and a the sax player tripped over the neck toppling the front over onto the corner of my cab. Result a 5" long crack in the front. George Martin said no probs at all and my MU insurance will cover it. They even offered me a loan instrument. Great.