Why become a member? ×

Got The Building-Bug.

[color="#008080"][size=3]I decided to build one of my own - a 1951-type Precision bass with the single-wound p'up and utterly simple design.

I added a few personal touches like a deeper ribcage cut-out and a nicer (I think) arm relief with some nice 1/2" round-off routing around the periphery to take that slab look away from it.

I started with a multi-lam'd bunch of common house construction wood and then planed it down to what I needed. I've got some pixs, and most are fairly self explanatory:::

1 -

2 -

After some routing and rounding-over, I got to this point - Oh yeah, it's gonna get that classic color paint, so don't worry about the knots:::

3 -

4 -

Some cross-drilling for the wires:::

5 -

I won't bore you with all the primer/painting details, but here's an 'in color' shot of that ribcage cutout:::

6 -

Here's the color I decided upon: 1956 Packard Green and this is just with the parts sitting where they will go later for a mock-up:::

7 -

And another pix for you - this time with the neck and my trademarked logo:::

8 -

Today I am buffing the paint out and adding some clear three-part urethane for depth, then tonight I wire it and tomorrow - maybe I get to play it for the first time. [/size][/color]

Edited by Circle_of_Fifths

[quote name='tony_m' post='1274226' date='Jun 18 2011, 02:49 PM']Very nice, love the green! I'd prefer it with the bridge cover the *right* way round, but hey, that's just me... :)[/quote]

I am exercising the old way of taking the factory mutes OFF the strings, which most players did by switching the bridge cover around backwards. The mute material was mounted in the top inside of the cover.

[quote name='Roland Rock' post='1274212' date='Jun 18 2011, 02:33 PM']That's quite an unusual timber to make a bass! It'll be interesting to see (or hear) how the tone turns out. I absolutely LOVE that green - is that a genuine bona fide Fender colour?[/quote]

I seriously doubt that Leo used Packard green - but he did specify many automotive colors for his paint jobs on his basses.

I've just had the jaws for a bass this color as I once owned a 1956 Packard Patrician and it was two-tone with this as the basic color.

The bass with all the gear, but save the strings, is exactly 8lbs, or 3.62873896 kilograms. It's right in there for a decent weight, as I've got basses from 6lbs to 9 lbs 3 ozs.

Not being a believer of magic woods and their tones, I am whomping up a fiberglass bass in the next batch I make. I've got one more of wood to build/finish and then it's on to the glass one.

[quote name='Bassman Sam' post='1274329' date='Jun 18 2011, 05:37 PM']That looks really cool and I love the logo, can you post a better pic of it.[/quote]

Of course! I registered this as a trademark and I'll be putting it on all my basses from now on.

BTW: I finished the bass today too. I got the strings on it and set the neck truss rod and adjusted the string height and intonation, and now I'll wait a few days to see how it holds everything.

I expect it will go somewhat flat with the strings and I'm not really sure that the truss is set right yet - but it sure feels good and it sounds even better!

Just for kicks and giggles, I put the bridge cover on the 'right' way for a few pixs or a while - whichever comes first.

[quote]RhysP Posted Today, 12:54 AM
That's a beautiful colour!

bartelby Posted Today, 12:38 AM
That is one nice looking bass!!
Fantastic job!!

Mike Posted Today, 12:01 AM
Looks superb - congrats!

KiOgon Posted Yesterday, 11:58 PM
Good job! Looks great & I'm sure if Leo had got hold of that colour paint we'd see plenty more like it but your's is truly unique - outstanding cool.gif A bass to be very proud of ::biggrin.gif[/quote]

Thanks all you guys for the accolades. The building was very easy, and although I learned a lot more about building a guitar, I am still not going to consider myself a luthier. That was never my intent; just building for fun.

In my mind is another idea for a bass - one that is in the mental-formulation stages right now. It involves a surfboard foam core with strategically placed/hidden spars for support to the neck and bridge, but will have a typical surfboard resin and glass surface.

What I'm thinking of will be sunburst lime color, blending to either deep brown or possible black as in a tobacco-burst. I've got some ideas for the headstock, although it will tend to lean toward the Fender-bulb design, as I think it's very distinctive.

Anyway - at 0-4:30 I realized I left off a most important part to the '51-er - the tug bar. So I got up and installed it. It's nice to be retired and have your own time schedules. No pixs yet - but I got a small collage here: