Why become a member? ×

G&L tribute

YouMa

[quote name='Jakester' post='1273958' date='Jun 18 2011, 05:57 PM']Close, by all accounts:

[url="http://www.bassesbyleo.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=717"]http://www.bassesbyleo.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=717[/url]

I have an L2000T and it does offer a very broad sonic palette![/quote]
[b]NOT [/b]close. You might as well say a P is close to a J.
The OP in that link has it arse about face with the mids ... so I stopped reading any further.

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1273966' date='Jun 18 2011, 06:05 PM'][b]NOT [/b]close. You might as well say a P is close to a J.
The OP in that link has it arse about face with the mids ... so I stopped reading any further.[/quote]

Well, close enough that punters aren't going to be able to tell the difference once it's been through your amp, cab, and bounced around the venue a few times.

It's a good 'jack of all trades' instrument, which is why I have mine. I can [u]approximate [/u] other sounds without having to drop the wedge on lots of other instruments.

[quote name='BassBunny' post='1273959' date='Jun 18 2011, 05:58 PM']No they don't completely nail the Stingray tone. That said they are probably the most adaptable bass available. It's my permanent "go-to" bass if any of the others aren't quite doing it.[/quote]
They are indeed but the Stingray tone is a very unique tone based on a specific pup in a precise position combined with a classically voiced eq circuit.... the L-2000 has none of that - it has it's own thang goin' on.

[quote name='Jakester' post='1273969' date='Jun 18 2011, 06:11 PM']Well, close enough that punters aren't going to be able to tell the difference once it's been through your amp, cab, and bounced around the venue a few times...[/quote]
With that defeatist logic a Ric can do a close 'ray too. :)

[quote name='YouMa' post='1273997' date='Jun 18 2011, 06:31 PM'][b]Im after a blueburst or natural [/b]4 string probably july when funds allow.All the reviews on the net look very good indeed.[/quote]
Good choice sir - best two options... imho. :)

I'm getting the fizzys over [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310324157517&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT"]this[/url] (USA version), although the black crinkle doesn't do it for me.

I've had my L2000 Tribute (Sunburst/Maple) for a month now and wouldn't say it's capable of the Stingray tone either, but definitely has its 'own' sound. It's certainly the most versatile bass that I've owned and sounds quite different from my other basses, past and present. What I love about it, is that the bass/treble controls are passive (cut only), and that the preamp seems to boost the overall output. Then of course, you have the treble-boost setting, which is more cutting.

I bought mine from Musik Produktiv in Germany and their service was excellent - ordered on a Thursday, arrived the following Wednesday.

I'm still not sure why people buy basses that they want to sound like other basses.

SBMM Ray 35s, SUBs and Tribute L2000s are all around the same price. Proper Rays and US L2000s are around the same price too from what I've seen (often G&Ls are slightly more IME), if you want a ray, you can get a ray for the same money and it'll sound like a ray.

IMO rays are one of those instruments that have a distintive sound, like Ps and Rickys. You're not going to get that sound unless the bass is built to sound like that and most basses aren't.

I have a Sandberg with two MM style pups in it, it sounds great but I'm under no illusions that it does a ray tone, it has it's own great voicing but the pup placement is wrong for the ray tone, same as G&Ls.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1274279' date='Jun 19 2011, 12:13 AM']They talk more sh*t than us lot over there :) polepiece alignment story again, all wrong on EBMM but fine on pre EB versions? Next time your near a Fender Strat have a look and see how the strings pass over the pole pieces or see if the notes vanish when you bend a string.[/quote]
Take two of the blue ones and have a nice wee lie down dear. :)

[quote name='munkonthehill' post='1274471' date='Jun 19 2011, 10:18 AM']Hey guys,

So am I right in reading above that my ric can nail that stingray sound??[/quote]
Aye yours might (especially through Jakesters rig in the scenario above - only joking mate :)).
Get some genuine Ric pups in there Steve and who knows it might even start sounding like a real Ric. :)

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1274506' date='Jun 19 2011, 10:43 AM']Aye yours might (especially through Jakesters rig in the scenario above - only joking mate :lol:).
Get some genuine Ric pups in there Steve and who knows it might even start sounding like a real Ric. :D[/quote]

hahahahahaha :)

Its real Ric, owait a minute, why is this ric trus rod cover paint still wet :)