Why become a member? ×

Ipswich Music Day

LLOYDWT

Really good 1 day music festival, if you're local to it you're probably already aware. It's free and there are some great local bands. My band Millionaires by Morning will be playing the Attitude stage at 7pm.

[attachment=82696:music_da..._up_2011.jpg]

[quote name='Sibob' post='1269698' date='Jun 15 2011, 09:41 AM']Use to go to these back when they started (nearly 10years ago?!). Awesome day of music and I can only assume it's gotten bigger and better.
How did you get your band on dude?

Si[/quote]
There is an application form process to the organisers each year, although it does help to have someone on the committee (like say Veronica from McGintys) put in a good word for you :)

We played last year, thouroughly enjoyed it and the weather was awesome - nice day out for free.

We were asked to play this year, as we played last year to a good reception. We gig allot in and around Ipswich and as Legion says it helps to know people on the organising committee, if you get a few gigs at McGinty's (Dave or Veronica) or The Steamboat Tavern (Val) that should put you on peoples radar locally.

If you get an application in early enough to Ip-Art through their website that will stand you in good stead for making the lineup. Hope to see you there in 2012.

[url="http://www.ip-art.com/"]http://www.ip-art.com/[/url]
[url="http://www.ipswich.gov.uk/site/scripts/news_article.php?newsID=440"]http://www.ipswich.gov.uk/site/scripts/new....php?newsID=440[/url]

[quote name='Duarte' post='1269714' date='Jun 15 2011, 09:55 AM']I've seen you guys in Ipswich before, loved it!

I think my brother was in a band with Karnel before ...I'll see ya there![/quote]

Thanks Duarte, glad you enjoyed it. What band was your brother in? Carnell's other project at the moment is Pistols & Vultures who are doing pretty well for themselves, we borrow their drummer & guitarist for gigs when ours can't make it.

Catch you down there :-)

[quote name='Bilbo' post='1270694' date='Jun 15 2011, 09:14 PM']I find the event a tad exploitative and won't play there,[/quote]

In what way - nobody is making any money out of it and surely it's a great chance for both original and cover bands to get exposure to a large audience? OK, most of them will never get their plump Suffolk backsides out to any other local gigs but it is still a great chance to make some new fans. Unless of course you're referring to the local guitar shop opening and taking a couple of hundred quid for the two years I was there :)

Noone makes any money? None of the PA companies? The marquee rental people? The food/drink retailers? The local car parks? The local pubs? The bus/train companies? Seems to me that everyone makes something except the musicians. As for free exposure for the acts; I have never heard anyone get a gig because 'we saw you at MitP'. Its not all bad; its a nice day out for families, possible exposure to new music etc but I am not convinced that the event is all altrusim.

[quote name='LLOYDWT' post='1269422' date='Jun 14 2011, 11:21 PM']Really good 1 day music festival, if you're local to it you're probably already aware. It's free and there are some great local bands. My band Millionaires by Morning will be playing the Attitude stage at 7pm.[/quote]

I'm looking forward to this too. My band Crossover will be playing the Town 102 Stage at 1.00pm. See you there, Lloydwt!

[quote name='Bilbo' post='1271056' date='Jun 16 2011, 09:38 AM']Noone makes any money? None of the PA companies? The marquee rental people? The food/drink retailers? The local car parks? The local pubs? The bus/train companies? Seems to me that everyone makes something except the musicians. As for free exposure for the acts; I have never heard anyone get a gig because 'we saw you at MitP'. Its not all bad; its a nice day out for families, possible exposure to new music etc but I am not convinced that the event is all altrusim.[/quote]

OK, fair point about PA and Marquee companies, but it is not as if there is a promoter making off the back of the local musos who regularly compete to be part of this as it is thought of so highly locally. I can fully appreciate and support people making apoint of not playing for free on principle, but I really think explotative is probably a bit harsh.

You are probably right, Myke. I am probably overreacting but, having played ther twice several years ago, I have to say that it feels a bit like a meat market. I don't like the vibe at all. The turnaround of bands is too quick (no decent set up time/soundcheck etc) and, bearing in mind they give their time for free, more than a little disrespectful, IMO. I never even heard anyone say 'Thank you'.

Sounds exactly like Lewisham Music Day where the organisers were on the side of the stage with stopwatches giving you a countdown! I know a lot of local bands far preferred the Mayday TUC event, probably for your reasons above Bilbo!

Edited by Mykesbass

[quote name='pete.young' post='1271189' date='Jun 16 2011, 11:11 AM']I'm looking forward to this too. My band Crossover will be playing the Town 102 Stage at 1.00pm. See you there, Lloydwt![/quote]

Cool I'll make sure to be at the Town 102 stage for 1pm. My friend Jen's band 80*2*90 are following you on the Town 102 stage followed by The B. Goodes who are great (Jay their bassist is a brilliant player), so I think I'll be around that stage for quite a while. Gutted I'm clashing with Saltdog as I haven't seen them for a couple of years and they always put on a great show.

[quote name='L_Bass_Dog85' post='1271388' date='Jun 16 2011, 01:17 PM']Aright Lloyd, how is it going? I'll be there, my band Hallow wanted to play there this year but were told we missed the slot to apply. :)

Luke[/quote]

Know how you feel Luke, my last band managed to miss the boat in 2009, the council have no sway when it comes to deadlines. Look forward to seeing you down there. Perhaps we could have a bit of a basschat meetup if there are gonna be a few faces about?

[quote name='LLOYDWT' post='1271620' date='Jun 16 2011, 03:08 PM']Cool I'll make sure to be at the Town 102 stage for 1pm. My friend Jen's band 80*2*90 are following you on the Town 102 stage followed by The B. Goodes who are great (Jay their bassist is a brilliant player), so I think I'll be around that stage for quite a while. Gutted I'm clashing with Saltdog as I haven't seen them for a couple of years and they always put on a great show.[/quote]

Yes, I'm looking forward to hearing 80*2*90 for the first time, I've chatted to various members of the band and they're all good guys. the B Goodes are a great band and Underline The Sky are playing one of the other stages a bit later on - Chiron has been known to post here in the past. It's all looking good.

Top weekend for us as we have The Pickerel in Stowmarket on Friday night too - that's always a good gig with a nice group of people.

[quote name='pete.young' post='1272183' date='Jun 16 2011, 10:29 PM']Yes, I'm looking forward to hearing 80*2*90 for the first time, I've chatted to various members of the band and they're all good guys. the B Goodes are a great band and Underline The Sky are playing one of the other stages a bit later on - Chiron has been known to post here in the past. It's all looking good.

Top weekend for us as we have The Pickerel in Stowmarket on Friday night too - that's always a good gig with a nice group of people.[/quote]

I know Chiron & Hicksy from UTS quite well, they're good guys, they're playing the ICR/CSV stage which my band was on last year.

Really looking forward to it. First gig we've played since taking a writing break in March.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Bilbo' post='1271281' date='Jun 16 2011, 12:05 PM']You are probably right, Myke. I am probably overreacting but, having played ther twice several years ago, I have to say that it feels a bit like a meat market. I don't like the vibe at all. The turnaround of bands is too quick (no decent set up time/soundcheck etc) and, bearing in mind they give their time for free, more than a little disrespectful, IMO. I never even heard anyone say 'Thank you'.[/quote]

Try running a festival or even crewing and you'll see a different perspective! Crew generally work hugely long hours for little or nothing and everyone's a [b]Star[/b][i][/i]...

ficelles