Why become a member? ×

Action Stations! Do you like a high action?

gjones

Some of it seems to be down to the quality and construction materials of the instrument, but I am a pretty heavy-handed player and I like a bit of space! That said, why make life deliberately hard for yourself?

I guess what I am saying is I like it "high enough". Never measured it, but I'm estimating around 4-6 mm at fret 12.

[quote name='kevin_lindsay' post='1266320' date='Jun 12 2011, 05:08 PM']Paul Turner (Jamiroquai) has all his basses set with high action - around 1/2" at the 12th fret. He has a monster tone whenever he plays. But, whenever I play his instruments up at "the dusty end" I find my fingers slipping under the strings due to the height if them!!

Pino's basses are set with a medium action, not so low you can't dig in without thf bass rattling, and not high so it's s pig to play.

I guess it's all down to personal preference, huh?[/quote]

Sorry, I'm still getting over this one...HALF AN INCH? :)

Anyway, while I like a low action for noodling about, I tend to thwack the strings a bit playing with the band, and like some other guys, I don't like much fret buzz, so my action's as low as I can get it without too much of that. I'd say a couple of mm at the 12th on the FrankenPs, and a bit more on the Ray, which is strung with Heavy Gauge at the mo. All my basses have Hipshots, which I accomodate with a bit more string height for the sudden tension drop.

Having said that, my Fortress had a fret dress recently, and partly thanks to the JAN1, I've got the action on that down to approximately three-eighths of Bugger All, as my Grandad used to say...

I've got it massively high on my 'ray - had it set up that way a few years back as I [i]really[/i] liked to dig in. Find that with my new band I'm playing more technical stuff and I'm occasionally having to down the Stingray for something a bit more playable, as the fast/tricky stuff just doesn't sound good at all when I'm fighting the action.

The Sandberg came with a really low action and plays like butter, but never gave me the problems with clicking and buzzing that the Stingray did, so it stayed that way. I do like it high, but if it works the way it is, then why change it!

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' post='1267261' date='Jun 13 2011, 01:29 PM']I still don't understand how a high action helps the string vibrate better... Surely the string isn't aware of how far away it is from the neck? If it's vibrating freely between the bridge and nut it should be the same regardless of action.[/quote]

It's simply to ensure that the string can vibrate without hitting the frets at any point - it can take a fairly hefty action for that to happen if you're a hard hitter and you're fretting a note.

Mine are all between 3 and 4 mm at the 12th fret.

I like to be able to play cleanly whether I'm picking over the bridge pickup or up using the end of the neck as a thumb rest, a low action just doesn't allow me to do that.

But not such high action that I can't add a bit of grit to the sound by really going for it.