Why become a member? ×

Jazz, Stingray, 4, 5

Rumble

I've played 5 strings for many years, but recently got hold of a Fender Jazz 4 string which I'm really growing to love (tone and feel). However, playing in a church, I could do with the low B sometimes so could probably do with getting another 5'er. I've narrowed down my choices to either a Jazz 5 (preferably a Lakland JO or DJ) or a Stingray 5. I should probably also add that I think I'm probably a 'jazz bass' guy at heart, but I like the bite and aggression of the Stingray for a bit of something different.

The options and issues are:
1) Keep my jazz 4 and get a Lakland jazz 5 - is there any point in having essentially the same bass, just with an extra string? Doesn't really provide and variety either.
2) Keep the jazz 4 and get a Stingray 5 - introduces options and variety, but might end up playing the Stingray more simply for the extra string at the expense of the jazz tone which I love so much.
3) Sell / trade jazz 4 for a jazz 5 and get a Stingray 4 - in truth I probably prefer the Stingray 4 tone, but this means getting rid of my new love, jazz 4!

HELP!!

First off, you love the 4 string Jazz, so that has to stay.

I'd agree from the point of view of not getting a similar bass in a 5 string version, as tonally it'll be similar to the 4 string.

So if it was [i]me[/i], I'd be thinking of getting either a Stingray 5 or maybe something like a Sandberg PM5 with a Precision/Musicman configuration, then you really have got all basses covered.

Ive been in a similar position, but I tend to really like EBMM basses anyway.

Here is my view:

Get a Stingray 5 HS. Why HS? Well, it will satisfy your craving for single coils (you can solo the bridge and neck pup) but also give you the proper Musicman H tone (which I prefer over all other H basses). In addition, you get two extra tones of different pups combined.

I tried around 4-5 Lakland 5ers, and in the end the Ray 5 in the store totally won out. It was lighter, better construction, and just had that 'quality' feel to it. That is my opinion though, as many others love Lakland 5ers.

I then had to wait 3-4 months for my HS to be built.

Edited by Musicman20

It were me, im currently gasing for a stingray 5, black,black pickguard and maple neck. Thats what i would go for anyway. While im sure the lakland will sound different, the stingray would add another dimension of the choice of sounds you could have.

So keep the jazz and get a stingray.

Ever looked at Sandbergs?

This is my MM5

It's a jazz shaped body, the neck's a little fatter but they're built to order so you could have whatever you want (it's not fat though, just a bit fatter than my jazz). The pickups are great and growly, both have coil taps so it can be made into two single coils like a Jazz. 3 band EQ is great too, very versatile and with a push/pull active passive and (iirc) a tone control when it's in passive mode.

I find it does both the MM and Jazz sounds pretty well. Neither are perfect replicas, but they're great tones on their own merit.

I have a Jazz 5 from Sandberg too, the Delano pickups give it a lot more beef to my ears than a lot of jazzes I've played.

[quote name='Rumble' post='1259485' date='Jun 7 2011, 11:27 AM']....The options and issues are:
1) Keep my jazz 4 and get a Lakland jazz 5 - is there any point in having essentially the same bass, just with an extra string? Doesn't really provide and variety either....[/quote]
A Lakland and a Fender are nothing like the same instrument.

There are several JO5's for sale at the moment. I'd have a look at one of those.

Thanks for all the suggestions, chaps (or chapesses.... you never know!).

Chris b - I accept that the JO's sound different to a Fender jazz, but they are essentially the same / very similar beasts. Bear in mind that I'm historically a bass-monogomist so if I end up with two jazz style basses I just see it being a short term relationship, coz I'll just end up thinking 'what's the point?'.

ThomBM - Lovely Sandberg, sir! I had considered a Sandberg, but it's just finding the right one on the used market.

Would I be correct in thinking that the general opinion is to keep the jazz 4 I have and get something a bit different?

Are the Warwick $$'s worth a look?

Edited by Rumble

[quote name='Rumble' post='1259628' date='Jun 7 2011, 01:09 PM']ThomBM - Lovely Sandberg, sir! I had considered a Sandberg, but it's just finding the right one on the used market.[/quote]

Yeah, they're pretty rare, that's for a reason though. I got lucky with mine, I was looking for a jazz style bass and saw it on the for sale forum, then I put up a wanted ad in the relevant forum with a list of what I was looking for, the MM5 had everything on that list and is absolutely beautiful.

If you can find some nutter who wants to move his on though, you're in for a bargain.

As a further suggestion to you though, how about a G&L L2500, they come up fairly often here, are pretty cheap (the tributes are usually around £400) and brilliant basses. Very versatile too. I played one a while ago and was surprised when the owner put it up in the for sale forum to find out it was a tribute and not a USA one.

[quote name='Rumble' post='1259628' date='Jun 7 2011, 01:09 PM']....I accept that the JO's sound different to a Fender jazz, but they are essentially the same / very similar beasts. Bear in mind that I'm historically a bass-monogomist so if I end up with two jazz style basses I just see it being a short term relationship, coz I'll just end up thinking 'what's the point?'....[/quote]
The similarity ends with the outline. Try a JO5, you'll see that everything else is different.

I used to own a JO5 which is why I was thinking of getting another. It was a lovely bass with a great, beefy jazz tone; but that's the thing, it was a jazz tone. Flippin' heavy as well (12Ibs), hence it's departure from the stable.

[quote name='Rumble' post='1259485' date='Jun 7 2011, 11:27 AM']I've played 5 strings for many years, but recently got hold of a Fender Jazz 4 string which I'm really growing to love (tone and feel). However, playing in a church, I could do with the low B sometimes so could probably do with getting another 5'er. I've narrowed down my choices to either a Jazz 5 (preferably a Lakland JO or DJ) or a Stingray 5. I should probably also add that I think I'm probably a 'jazz bass' guy at heart, but I like the bite and aggression of the Stingray for a bit of something different.

1) Keep my jazz 4 and get a Lakland jazz 5 - is there any point in having essentially the same bass, just with an extra string? Doesn't really provide and variety either.
2) Keep the jazz 4 and get a Stingray 5 - introduces options and variety, but might end up playing the Stingray more simply for the extra string at the expense of the jazz tone which I love so much.
3) Sell / trade jazz 4 for a jazz 5 and get a Stingray 4 - in truth I probably prefer the Stingray 4 tone, but this means getting rid of my new love, jazz 4!

HELP!![/quote]

You're going about it the wrong way: two basses only??? :)

It seems that Jazz4 is special, so I'd imagine an SR5 sounds like the first correct step. Followed by a SR4 in due time. You *must* have a SR4... although some may say I'm biased. :)

[quote name='mcnach' post='1259966' date='Jun 7 2011, 05:26 PM']You're going about it the wrong way: two basses only??? :lol:

It seems that Jazz4 is special, so I'd imagine an SR5 sounds like the first correct step. Followed by a SR4 in due time. You *must* have a SR4... although some may say I'm biased. :)[/quote]

Biased? Your more of a Stingray slag than me now Jose, How times change eh :)

[quote name='JTUK' post='1259979' date='Jun 7 2011, 05:41 PM']Or a hipshot..!! for those odd forays down under..??[/quote]

Call me lazy, but I can't be doing with that 'flick it down, flick it back, flick it down, flick it back....' thing. Hence, I just sold the one that came with the jazz 4!

[quote name='JTUK' post='1260033' date='Jun 7 2011, 06:17 PM']SR4..?? I hope you aren't talking about this Sue Ryder crap :) :)
I have played one of these and I was right all along...

:lol: :D :P[/quote]

:lol:

ah, good times :D

Let me horrify you now by saying that I am using a spare Sue Ryder neck to create a J-type bass. Ah, madness!!! :lol:

[quote name='Rumble' post='1259485' date='Jun 7 2011, 11:27 AM']I've played 5 strings for many years, but recently got hold of a Fender Jazz 4 string which I'm really growing to love (tone and feel). However, playing in a church, I could do with the low B sometimes so could probably do with getting another 5'er. I've narrowed down my choices to either a Jazz 5 (preferably a Lakland JO or DJ) or a Stingray 5. I should probably also add that I think I'm probably a 'jazz bass' guy at heart, but I like the bite and aggression of the Stingray for a bit of something different.

HELP!![/quote]

You do need help, you can't decide weather you prefer one over the other. Thus creating a tear in the space/time continuum causing you to be forever plagued by the terrible desease known as GAS....

Anyways, I vote stingray. But you will need to decide what you actually need and what you prefer, I feel you might end up wasting lots of money.

Prime_BASS - I know what you mean about the GAS, but I've been fortunate enough to have tried and tested lots of basses over several years and have come to the conclusion (having owned Stingray's and jazzes in the past), that I'm a Stingray / jazz kinda guy. I've also managed to do an awful lot of this trying of basses without losing any significant sums of cash (never bought new, avoiding 'niche' market basses etc...).

Whether it's a jazz or a Stingray (most likely) that I end up getting, there's a very good chance it'll be staying in 'the stable' for a while, as long as there's a use for it.