Why become a member? ×

Queen

bassace

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' post='1251810' date='May 31 2011, 05:40 PM']Looking at the list of bands below - I rest my case!

I wouldn't put any of them in the same league as Queen. Don't ever recall The Smiths selling out Wembley!![/quote]

Not that it's a competition or anything but Oasis and Blur, maybe even Radiohead could sell out Wembley. Oasis sold out Knebworth quite a few times over at the height of their careers. The other two aren't as likely to play stadium gigs, although Blur have sold out Hyde Park before for example. That's 65,000 people.

[quote name='slobluesine' post='1251617' date='May 31 2011, 03:17 PM']never been a big fan of Queen but their Live Aid show must be the best 20mins of live Rock n Roll your ever gonna see or hear[/quote]

Spot on!!!!

Also thought George Michael was ace singing Somebody to Love - the only one who got close to the Freddie sound!

Fair point but Queen managed that 16 years into their career and I am not sure the same could be said of Blur or Oasis? I think the longevity of Queen has shocked most people in the music business.

Watching the footage of them flying into Wembley in their own Kind of Magic branded helicopters always brings a smile to my face. Can any of us imagine just for a second what a sense of achievement that must be to look down at 80,000 people who have piled into a stadium to hear you perform songs that you have written it must blow your mind!! The annoying thing is that for most of us that might turn into the biggest ego-tistical asshole in the world but listen to Brian and Roger they are the most down to earth guys you could ever meet!

[quote name='risingson' post='1252029' date='May 31 2011, 08:42 PM']Not that it's a competition or anything but Oasis and Blur, maybe even Radiohead could sell out Wembley. Oasis sold out Knebworth quite a few times over at the height of their careers. The other two aren't as likely to play stadium gigs, although Blur have sold out Hyde Park before for example. That's 65,000 people.[/quote]

Queen was the first band that i really loved & considered myself to a fan of when i was growing up.
I brought all of their back catalogue albums when i had my first payments of pocket money after hearing the song "Killer Queen" on the radio. Then i subsequently brought most of their future albums almost on date of release.

I was also a great fan of John Deacons bass playing & the bands songwriting abilities.
The tribute concert was an example of all the bands & stars that the band influenced.
Although i did think they lost their way for me after the "Jazz" album. That was their last album i brought.

I was lucky enough to catch them live at knebworth which i believe was one of their last uk gigs.
I thought the documentary was thoroughly entertaining.

Edited by Bernmeister

[quote name='risingson' post='1252029' date='May 31 2011, 08:42 PM']Not that it's a competition or anything but Oasis and Blur, maybe even Radiohead could sell out Wembley. Oasis sold out Knebworth quite a few times over at the height of their careers. The other two aren't as likely to play stadium gigs, although Blur have sold out Hyde Park before for example. That's 65,000 people.[/quote]
All failed to break the states afaik.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1252066' date='May 31 2011, 09:21 PM']All failed to break the states afaik.[/quote]

Radiohead sold 300,000 albums of Hail to the Thief in the first week in the U.S when it was released, over a million eventually. They have a massive U.S fanbase.

Totally different bands though, both notable in their own right.

I like radiohead and blur I'm 33 so bang on for Britpop but Queen are massive in comparison. I would enjoy a good in depth documentary on all the bands mentioned but even as fan of most of them to make it interesting enough for a wider audience it would have to be about many of them rather than just one. There have been some good ones on BBC four over the years following different eras and scenes.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1252163' date='May 31 2011, 10:44 PM']I like radiohead and blur I'm 33 so bang on for Britpop but Queen are massive in comparison. I would enjoy a good in depth documentary on all the bands mentioned but even as fan of most of them to make it interesting enough for a wider audience it would have to be about many of them rather than just one. There have been some good ones on BBC four over the years following different eras and scenes.[/quote]

You should watch 'No Distance Left to Run' if you haven't already, great Blur documentary!

I will give it a whirl, I was never a die hard Blur fan but always a Blur over Oasis in the event of the usuall argument back in the day. Funnily enough me and EBS freak were discussing blur and what bass we associate with Alex James, For me I always see him as a Ray player but he (who is more of a fan) says he is famous for using a P?

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1252196' date='May 31 2011, 11:11 PM']I will give it a whirl, I was never a die hard Blur fan but always a Blur over Oasis in the event of the usuall argument back in the day. Funnily enough me and EBS freak were discussing blur and what bass we associate with Alex James, For me I always see him as a Ray player but he (who is more of a fan) says he is famous for using a P?[/quote]

The documentary gave me a new found love for Blur. They evolved over time as well; their music changed a lot, something that Oasis totally failed to manage IMO, although I still like a lot of their music too. I'd really recommend watching it!

I always associate Alex James with his 50's reissue (real?) P-bass now. No slouch on the bass either... not great, but definitely not a bad player.

Just watched the second hour of the documentary, 2 sell out nights at Wembley back to back and having to add an extra date at Knebworth I would say makes them a pretty big band IMO! That Argentina gig had 80'000 people not massive I hear you say? That was just in the tiered seats!

I can't think of a bigger gig other than maybe the Michael Jackson tribute gig that has compared to the Freddie tribute gig ever, Next closest would be his own performance at at live aid. Awesome!

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' post='1251810' date='May 31 2011, 05:40 PM']Looking at the list of bands below - I rest my case!

I wouldn't put any of them in the same league as Queen. Don't ever recall The Smiths selling out Wembley!![/quote]

Umm, I was obviously wasn't using the names based on commercial sales (though AC/DC for one have sold a boatload over the years). I never knew a requirement of 'selling out Wembly' or selling as many records as Queen was required before the BBC will consider doing a documentary, but looking at the BBC's track record. maybe it is! I was listing a bunch of bands that would provide for interesting documentaries that have not already been done to death over and over.

I'm not dismissing the merits of Queen, Led Zep, Deep Purple and in all honesty prefer them to many of the bands I listed. I just find that the BBC take a very narrow view when it comes to 'rock' music documentaries. Most of them are great admittedly, but usually we've seen most of the stories and talking heads before. I just think that as a public service broadcaster BBC should be providing a bit more.

[quote name='thodrik' post='1253306' date='Jun 1 2011, 11:07 PM']I'm not dismissing the merits of Queen, Led Zep, Deep Purple and in all honesty prefer them to many of the bands I listed. I just find that the BBC take a very narrow view when it comes to 'rock' music documentaries. Most of them are great admittedly, but usually we've seen most of the stories and talking heads before. I just think that as a public service broadcaster BBC should be providing a bit more.[/quote]

I think Queen's fan base on a global scale is a lot broader than something like the Smiths - in fact pretty much all those bands listed. But a lot of them have been the subject of features or similar on 6 Music. Blur are an interesting one, their sound evolved an awful lot from mediocre indie beginnings. Queen were far better all-round musical performers than most of the others though IMO, the fact they did pop is neither here nor there (I don't remember who made the Abba comparison but Queen were far more versatile with more complex song structures).

[quote name='thodrik' post='1253306' date='Jun 1 2011, 11:07 PM']Umm, I was obviously wasn't using the names based on commercial sales (though AC/DC for one have sold a boatload over the years). I never knew a requirement of 'selling out Wembly' or selling as many records as Queen was required before the BBC will consider doing a documentary, but looking at the BBC's track record. maybe it is! I was listing a bunch of bands that would provide for interesting documentaries that have not already been done to death over and over.[/quote]

Yeah, check the high sellers they've done on BBC4 recently, Nick Drake, Sister Rosetta Thorpes....
(getting my coat...)

[quote name='Dave Vader' post='1253640' date='Jun 2 2011, 10:15 AM']Yeah, check the high sellers they've done on BBC4 recently, Nick Drake, Sister Rosetta Thorpes....
(getting my coat...)[/quote]

Fair enough, though in rock music/classic rock music they don't seem to push the boat out as much. I think that my main point is simply that documentaries on Queen, Deep Purple, the Who and Led Zep have been done to death, ignoring a lot of artists that could be the subject of an interesting documentary. Whether Queen are better or have greater mass appeal than the Smiths does not concern me, as I am not likely to listen to either one of them.

[quote name='uke' post='1254841' date='Jun 2 2011, 11:40 PM']For me, as a bassist, watching Queen without John Deacon is like watching The Who without the Ox!
They are the people who inspired me to play bass in the first place![/quote]

It's probably total blasphemy to say this but I got to see The Who with Pino Palladino on bass who is one of my favourite bass players and it was brilliant! I was never keen on Entwhistle's playing, although I understand he was integral part of their sound and a really unique player.

[quote name='risingson' post='1254844' date='Jun 2 2011, 11:45 PM']It's probably total blasphemy to say this but I got to see The Who with Pino Palladino on bass who is one of my favourite bass players and it was brilliant! I was never keen on Entwhistle's playing, although I understand he was integral part of their sound and a really unique player.[/quote]
Completely understand, opposite for me! can't stick Palladino! :)

[quote name='risingson' post='1254844' date='Jun 2 2011, 11:45 PM']It's probably total blasphemy to say this but I got to see The Who with Pino Palladino on bass who is one of my favourite bass players and it was brilliant! I was never keen on Entwhistle's playing, although I understand he was integral part of their sound and a really unique player.[/quote]

ha ha... a train wreck waiting to happen was Entwhistle and Moon, IMO.