Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

self discipline

clauster

The scenario..........

First rehearsal in two months tomorrow night. New drummer and 2 new guitarists (one of whom used to be in a proper band, totp n all). So I've got four songs to learn.

Can I learn them? No! All I wanna play this evening is 60s/70s girlie stuff (Linda Ronstadt and Carole King).

m..m...m..must c...c...c.oncentrate

lol... come on! pull yourself together!! I've just learnt a couple of new songs this evening lol!

I know what you mean though... especially if the songs aren't really your cup of tea (in my case sometimes!)

Totally off topic, but seeing Linda Ronstadt's name reminded me of Aaron Neville, and the fact that I saw the Neville Brothers performing live in Philadelphia around 1995. They were headlining a festival called the Jambalaya Jam, and I'd had no experience of Aaron Neville apart from his duet with Linda.

I have to say they were absolutely fantastic, and the mate I went with was lucky enough to find a live CD with them doing the same set they did that night.

Right.....carry on.

[quote name='clauster' post='143971' date='Feb 20 2008, 08:29 PM']I didn't even know until tonight that I like Linda Ronstadt??!!!!?[/quote]
There's no need to be ashamed. Some of the stuff that Linda Ronstadt recorded in the '70s was outstanding at the time and still sounds good now. And her backing band weren't bad either.

[quote name='Perry' post='144199' date='Feb 21 2008, 08:51 AM']Hey while we are on about learning songs, don't you find it anoying when you learn a sing only to find the singer wants to change the key? Ahhh![/quote]
That depends. Raising it is no problem. Lowering it so that it drops off the end of your bass is a PITA. Have to get the 5-string out, or mess about detuning.

[quote name='Thunderthumbs' post='143974' date='Feb 20 2008, 08:32 PM']Totally off topic, but seeing Linda Ronstadt's name reminded me of Aaron Neville, and the fact that I saw the Neville Brothers performing live in Philadelphia around 1995...[/quote]

I didn't realise there were so many Neville brothers - Art is of course the fantastic organist behind The Meters (the third most sampled band in the world after the JBs and Parliament/Funkadelic) and Cyril joined the 2nd incarnation of The Meters as a percussionist.

Alex

P.S. [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Funk"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Funk[/url]

[quote name='alexclaber' post='144375' date='Feb 21 2008, 01:45 PM']I didn't realise there were so many Neville brothers - Art is of course the fantastic organist behind The Meters (the third most sampled band in the world after the JBs and Parliament/Funkadelic) and Cyril joined the 2nd incarnation of The Meters as a percussionist.

Alex

P.S. [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Funk"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Funk[/url][/quote]
Neither did I.

Honestly, they were brilliant. It'd been a long day, it starting raining in the evening but the air was warm, it was an open air gig, the beer was flowing, and just a great way to finish the day off.

Then had a few beers round Philly centre after the show finished, and had to bum a cheap taxi ride back to New Jersey, who dropped us off just off the freeway, and we then got picked up by a cop for wandering down the lanes in the early hours of the morning. Dropped us off right outside the friend's house we were staying at. She must've sh*t herself seeing that pull up!

Great day all round and what an experience.

[quote name='Thunderthumbs' post='143974' date='Feb 20 2008, 08:32 PM']...and the fact that I saw the Neville Brothers performing live in Philadelphia around 1995.[/quote]

My mum saw them playing at some festival in Nashville 15 or so years ago...

Aaron Neville was so good that she's never really got over the experience :)

Edited by David Nimrod

[quote name='Perry' post='144199' date='Feb 21 2008, 08:51 AM']Hey while we are on about learning songs, don't you find it anoying when you learn a sing only to find the singer wants to change the key? Ahhh![/quote]

Tell me about it. i learnt It's my life by bon jovi. in the key they do it. easy enough. singer decides he wants it down one. it sounds totally different. i have to use an open string and i cant get my head around it.