Why become a member? ×

How do I get more gigs with the function band?

bassfunk

Hi All

Some of you may have seen that a few months ago My function band launched a website. While we've been playing together for a few years this year we've decided to make a proper go and step it up a bit. We're getting gigs trickling in but would like more, so I have a few questions and could do with any advice possible. I know that the more gigs we play the more bookings we'll get, but I wanted to see what other bands do. So here's what I wanted to ask:

- Do any of the function bands out there play bars/pubs for not a lot of money (I've read through the gigs vs money thread and there are some interesting points raised there) in the hope that it will raise their profile, and treat it a bit like free advertising?
- Do you advertise with any of the pay to advertise sites? I'm on most of the free ones, but I was wondering if anybody had particular success with any paid ones?
- Do you get gigs mainly through agents, website, word of mouth or is it a mixture of all three?
- How much do you generally charge per member for wedding functions etc? (I don't want to start the age old pro vs amateur debate again!)
- Following on from the above -We're a proffessional sounding band, and we try and price ourselves thus. Currently we charge beween £950 - £1100 for gigs around the Northwest. We're a 6 piece band and after PA hire and fuel etc we normally come out with around £100 each how does this compare?
- We hire in PA and lights because we don't currently have the money/space to invest in a large PA system (we have a small one for smaller gigs) how many bands own their own gear?
- I use twitter and have made a few contacts through there and I've even had a few bookings. Does anybody else use socail networking, if so, how?
- Do you follow quotes up? i.e do you call the client a few days after you've quoted them to find out if they're still interested? do you offer to lower your original quoted price etc?

So There you are. That should be enough to get you started! If you don't want to publish price details etc here send me a PM.

Does anybody around the Manchester area have any contacts that could help with the above? in particular agents, or pubs and clubs that put live bands on?

Any advice and your thoughts will be appreciated, I'm also not easily offended so feel free so I will always take negative feedback constructively :)

Thanks

Pete

[quote name='bassfunk' post='1235632' date='May 18 2011, 01:09 PM']- Do any of the function bands out there play bars/pubs for not a lot of money (I've read through the gigs vs money thread and there are some interesting points raised there) in the hope that it will raise their profile, and treat it a bit like free advertising?[/quote]

Yep, definitely, works pretty well down here

[quote name='bassfunk' post='1235632' date='May 18 2011, 01:09 PM']- Do you advertise with any of the pay to advertise sites? I'm on most of the free ones, but I was wondering if anybody had particular success with any paid ones?[/quote]

Not needed to yet

[quote name='bassfunk' post='1235632' date='May 18 2011, 01:09 PM']- Do you get gigs mainly through agents, website, word of mouth or is it a mixture of all three?[/quote]

Those pesky pub gigs, Lemonrock and word of mouth.

[quote name='bassfunk' post='1235632' date='May 18 2011, 01:09 PM']- How much do you generally charge per member for wedding functions etc? (I don't want to start the age old pro vs amateur debate again!)[/quote]

We're at £100 per member minimum for functions, sometimes a fair whack more, depending on what the gig is.

[quote name='bassfunk' post='1235632' date='May 18 2011, 01:09 PM']- Following on from the above -We're a proffessional sounding band, and we try and price ourselves thus. Currently we charge beween £950 - £1100 for gigs around the Northwest. We're a 6 piece band and after PA hire and fuel etc we normally come out with around £100 each how does this compare?[/quote]

More than us, but we own our own PA and there's only 5 of us. Sounds alright for your area though, Devon is a bugger to get gigs in at the best of times.

[quote name='bassfunk' post='1235632' date='May 18 2011, 01:09 PM']- We hire in PA and lights because we don't currently have the money/space to invest in a large PA system (we have a small one for smaller gigs) how many bands own their own gear?[/quote]

Most bands I know have their own gear, it works out better in the long run, plus you know how it works so you can deal with issues a lot easier

[quote name='bassfunk' post='1235632' date='May 18 2011, 01:09 PM']- I use twitter and have made a few contacts through there and I've even had a few bookings. Does anybody else use socail networking, if so, how?[/quote]

We spam the heck out of facebook with those pub gigs, and other public accessible ones, with a pile of video clips and mp3s and photos. We get a fair few PMs from that from people who've not seen us in the flesh, but liked the videos and feedback etc. Twitter still appears useless to me, but I'm sure there's a way to make it work.

[quote name='bassfunk' post='1235632' date='May 18 2011, 01:09 PM']- Do you follow quotes up? i.e do you call the client a few days after you've quoted them to find out if they're still interested? do you offer to lower your original quoted price etc?[/quote]

Yep, and yep, if they can't afford you they won't book you, be realistic, and also learn to know when they're yanking your chain. There are some very tight corporate guys out there that can afford you but won't admit it. Start higher than what you want to get and work down to what you wanted in the first place. Don't keep hassling, no more than 1 follow up after a quote.

The function band I played in until last year used to play a pub gig every few weeks. We found that they were great for inviting prospective clients along to watch us. Firmed up a lot of gigs that way. In fairness we had to choose the right sort of pub as most happy couples don't apreciate being caught up in a ten man brawl, or spending an evening in an empty pub with one pissed man and his dog for company.

If the pub is busy though and you go down well it can be a great advert, provided of course you make it clear you can tailor your setlist/appearance etc to a wedding/formal party etc. Also good fun for the band and a useful way to try out new covers.

[quote name='bassfunk' post='1235632' date='May 18 2011, 01:09 PM']- Do any of the function bands out there play bars/pubs for not a lot of money (I've read through the gigs vs money thread and there are some interesting points raised there) in the hope that it will raise their profile, and treat it a bit like free advertising?

- Do you advertise with any of the pay to advertise sites? I'm on most of the free ones, but I was wondering if anybody had particular success with any paid ones?

- Do you get gigs mainly through agents, website, word of mouth or is it a mixture of all three?[/quote]

the function band i play with do pub gigs as it a good way to get our name about and it also means that if any potential clients want they can check out the band before they make a decision

as for advertising we use free sites but have also paid to get advertised in stuff like wedding mags but tbh weve not really got much work via the paid advertising

most of our work seems to come from the website (this has really paid off since our drummer worked out how get us to the top of google search), word of mouth and online advertisng. we keep clear of agents due experiences a couple of the guys had in a previous band and tbh i dont think we are any worse off for it

hope that helps

Damn, i read the thread title as, "How do I get more [b]girls[/b] with the function band?, I guess it takes time but would like advice"

I didn't really have any good advice for that either, was going to start a "play the guitar or sing" debate...

As for the actual topic, i'd definitely agree with quoting higher and then come down, for both wedding and function gigs people want to think they're getting top dollar and they've done a good deal, as it often isn't their money in question.

We don't do functions unless people insist and we tell them this is what we do and that is it.
Mates rates start at £350 for a 2 hr set upto £1000 to the band

All by word of mouth and from any gigs we do. We have agents but they seem more interested in getting
a silly number of friends on FB than getting any meaningful gigs so we don't bother with them either.
We only wanted them for festivals anyway.

I am not sure I would be in the market for any old gig that people could throw your way as you need to know what you are letting yourself in for. If an agent that you don't know very well gives you a gig from nowhere..I'd be thinking what is wrong with it.

I am not sure there is a way round word-of-mouth unless you are prepared to take anything

The only answer is all of the above. You need to get out there and do the legwork, its the only way you will gain ground. There are countless threads on BC if you look about Function/wedding work.... it's not the same mentality as playing in a covers/pub band. You are a service provider. You need to have that mentality rather than thinking of yourself as a band.

Get out there, do the legwork, make the contacts, reap the rewards!

Thanks to all those who've replied. You all seem to be confirming what I suspected.

I guess the main thing we need to do is cheaper pub gigs to try and spread the word. As we're doing all of the rest, and we get quite a few enquiries through the website but the difficulty is converting them to bookings. As said above they can either afford us or they can't. I just wanted to check I was on he right track and so far it seems I am. Just need to start calling pubs and bars.

[quote name='bassfunk' post='1235632' date='May 18 2011, 01:09 PM']- Do any of the function bands out there play bars/pubs for not a lot of money (I've read through the gigs vs money thread and there are some interesting points raised there) in the hope that it will raise their profile, and treat it a bit like free advertising?
- Do you get gigs mainly through agents, website, word of mouth or is it a mixture of all three?
- How much do you generally charge per member for wedding functions etc? (I don't want to start the age old pro vs amateur debate again!)
Thanks

Pete[/quote]
We are at the core a 4 piece band and play the majority of our gigs as such. So playing pubs/bars etc can still be quite profitable. Really the size of band has a lot of influence on possible venues and money per member. We settle for less dosh at pubs/bars per man and probably get at least double per man for function gigs.

Marketing now is all word of mouth. After 4 years this is our sole way of getting gigs. Some gigs are repeat, 6 times a year or something like that, some weddings, corporate stuff, partys for the idol rich etc we just have a load of business cards we leave lying around at venues or peeps ask for them after or even during gigs. After reading your post i realise how lazy we are! We always put money in a band kitty and own our own PA which has paid for itself upmteen times. We don't advertise on any sites but maybe would have considered this when starting up if we'd known about it.

Good luck

[quote name='Robin UK' post='1236043' date='May 18 2011, 05:50 PM']Damn, i read the thread title as, "How do I get more [b]girls[/b] with the function band?, I guess it takes time but would like advice"

I didn't really have any good advice for that either, was going to start a "play the guitar or sing" debate...

As for the actual topic, i'd definitely agree with quoting higher and then come down, for both wedding and function gigs people want to think they're getting top dollar and they've done a good deal, as it often isn't their money in question.[/quote]

I wish it was more girls! But the wife doesn't agree with me trying it on with bridesmaids! :)

[quote name='BottomE' post='1236140' date='May 18 2011, 07:08 PM']We are at the core a 4 piece band and play the majority of our gigs as such. So playing pubs/bars etc can still be quite profitable. Really the size of band has a lot of influence on possible venues and money per member. We settle for less dosh at pubs/bars per man and probably get at least double per man for function gigs.

Marketing now is all word of mouth. After 4 years this is our sole way of getting gigs. Some gigs are repeat, 6 times a year or something like that, some weddings, corporate stuff, partys for the idol rich etc we just have a load of business cards we leave lying around at venues or peeps ask for them after or even during gigs. After reading your post i realise how lazy we are! We always put money in a band kitty and own our own PA which has paid for itself upmteen times. We don't advertise on any sites but maybe would have considered this when starting up if we'd known about it.

Good luck[/quote]

Cheers Bottom E, I'm always worried about leaving cards lying around at weddings in case the couple doesn't like it (might upset the way the tables are decorated) but I guess I could always ask.

Thanks

A reputation helps that takes time and care to build, so the only thing I would suggest is pool a gig and get your own PA and drop your price

We have realised over the years that People do not differentiate over numbers of musicians in the band must = X bucks. They will take your quote and the trio down the road and the committee will choose the trio.

[quote name='bassfunk' post='1236169' date='May 18 2011, 07:26 PM']Cheers Bottom E, I'm always worried about leaving cards lying around at weddings in case the couple doesn't like it (might upset the way the tables are decorated) but I guess I could always ask.

Thanks[/quote]
Oops sorry to mislead you but we leave our cards at pub/club venues which then brings in enquiries for weddings/corporate stuff. I wouldn't leave cards at a wedding but might slip some to the hotel function organiser person :)

Edited by BottomE

[quote name='bassfunk' post='1236169' date='May 18 2011, 07:26 PM']Cheers Bottom E, I'm always worried about leaving cards lying around at weddings in case the couple doesn't like it (might upset the way the tables are decorated) but I guess I could always ask.

Thanks[/quote]
Perhaps instead of leaving them lying around, when signing off at the end of the show you could mention that you have business cards for anyone that liked the show, and have a short stack ready to hand. At the same time, maybe ask the couple if they'd be nice enough to recommend you to people, and leave a few cards with them (assuming they liked you of course). Might as well help along the word of mouth advertising.

Have a decent website, that is updated and relevant.
Think about what you can do differently as a band from every other function band out there. There are hundreds and hundreds of bands playing a very similar body of music in a very similar way.
My band has decent musicians, but realise that most clients remember the fact we were smiling and dancing and putting on a great visual performance. They won't remember the set list; but they do remember the interaction that they had with you.

The whole band BOTHER when they met the client. Everyone is gushing and polite and nothing is too much hassle. You might not mean it, but it means recommendations.

Great kit is important. We didn't take a penny for years, because we've spent a fortune on having a great quality PA etc.
We always have a professional Sound Engineer mxing the band. How the hell can the bass player be expected to mix a sound whilst playing.

We spend money promoting ourselves on Gig-Guide and it pays us back 1000-fold!
Spend money on proper cards/promo material.
Play for nothing now and again... We played at the local pub, promoted it via friends and the internet and got two weddings out of it....

We turn down far more than we play.

11 years together, and each year is better and better....We are flying to Finland to play in July!

Oh...and the main thing. Enjoy the music, the friendship, each others company or it will die very quickly.

Best wishes

My band is on the Alive network and we get quite a few gigs from them. Once we submitted a demo and some photos they then get us gigs. It doesn't cost anything but yes, we do pay commission. Seeing as my band are to tight and lazy to do any self promotion or pay to get our name around it works for us.
We do have a website and do get work from it but we dont really push the band.
In fact i would say 95%of our gigs come in through just a couple of agents (one doesn't even have a website)

We dont do it full time as such, although we are out almost every weekend but i guess most of those doing it for a living wouldn't be this laid back about it.

As Bottom E said, depending on the line up and how many members you can get away with charging less, and i know some people will be putting a contract out on me for saying this but it does open doors that a large unit wouldn't get through.
The amount of weddings that only have a DJ shows (IMO) that a lot of people still cant afford £2000+ for a band, and we are happy to step in to the gap between DJ and full on Function unit. £200 minimum each per night is a nice figure for us, more would be nicer of course and does happen.

Edited by dave_bass5

Guest markinthegreen

Try Function central agency, My misses runs a function band called "The Young Hearts" They are in undated with work through the agency. They pay well and factor in splitter hire PA hire etc.

Peace

Yet more good advice, thanks guys I really appreciate you all taking the time out to reply to this thread.

I'm gonna try Alive and Function Central agencies. Get some videos made perhaps, and contact local bars/pubs about doing gigs and treat it like free advertising, as long as we cover costs we're not losing anything.

Thanks

Pete

[quote name='bassfunk' post='1237452' date='May 19 2011, 09:28 PM']Yet more good advice, thanks guys I really appreciate you all taking the time out to reply to this thread.

I'm gonna try Alive and Function Central agencies. Get some videos made perhaps, and contact local bars/pubs about doing gigs and treat it like free advertising, as long as we cover costs we're not losing anything.

Thanks

Pete[/quote]

Another very good agency is Function Junction. The other band i sometimes play with are on there and they get a lot of work, in fact most of their gigs are through FJ ad they are all good payers. Not quite as easy to get on though as FJ are quite small compared to Alive.

From a fellow Mancunians point of view I agree with Crez, "All of the Above"
There definately isn't as much Wedding/Corporate work landing on our laps and we have had to go out and fight to get it.
We have our own PA and Lights. Would love a permanent Sound Engineer.
We do a few Pub gigs during the year as it is ideal for letting perspective clients see you. Let's face it if you were organising a wedding/event you would want to see what you are hiring.
We are on a number of Agents books, but it hurts passing over the commission for what amounts to making a phone call and they don't have as mant clubs to put you in as they used to.
We are very fortunate in my wife having a long career in Advertising and she does all our selling.
Up until recently we have had a lot of success with Good Party. It's free to join and submit a profile. anyone wanting a band/dj/caterer etc. puts a posting up with their requirements and you pay for the contact info, (around £3 for a gig with £250 - £1000 budget).
Recently it has been choked up with timewasters. It's free to put a request up but the clients don't know you have to pay to get in touch. This results in a lot of "I was just seeing what was out there comments"
Might be worth a try and shove a few quid in the account and see what happens.
Something else that works for us is a close relationship with another couple of local function bands. If anyone gets offered a Gig they can't do, they will suggest one of the other bands in the "club".
It is also fantastic if there is a last minute problam and you need a Gig covering at short notice. Fortunately we have never had to be "bailed out", but have done quite a few last-minute gigs for other bands.
PM me your contact details if you fancy talking about an arrangement like this.
Stuart

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='1237459' date='May 19 2011, 09:37 PM']Another very good agency is Function Junction. The other band i sometimes play with are on there and they get a lot of work, in fact most of their gigs are through FJ ad they are all good payers. Not quite as easy to get on though as FJ are quite small compared to Alive.[/quote]

Thanks for the info we will do.

[quote name='BassBunny' post='1238084' date='May 20 2011, 01:00 PM']From a fellow Mancunians point of view I agree with Crez, "All of the Above"
There definately isn't as much Wedding/Corporate work landing on our laps and we have had to go out and fight to get it.
We have our own PA and Lights. Would love a permanent Sound Engineer.
We do a few Pub gigs during the year as it is ideal for letting perspective clients see you. Let's face it if you were organising a wedding/event you would want to see what you are hiring.
We are on a number of Agents books, but it hurts passing over the commission for what amounts to making a phone call and they don't have as mant clubs to put you in as they used to.
We are very fortunate in my wife having a long career in Advertising and she does all our selling.
Up until recently we have had a lot of success with Good Party. It's free to join and submit a profile. anyone wanting a band/dj/caterer etc. puts a posting up with their requirements and you pay for the contact info, (around £3 for a gig with £250 - £1000 budget).
Recently it has been choked up with timewasters. It's free to put a request up but the clients don't know you have to pay to get in touch. This results in a lot of "I was just seeing what was out there comments"
Might be worth a try and shove a few quid in the account and see what happens.
Something else that works for us is a close relationship with another couple of local function bands. If anyone gets offered a Gig they can't do, they will suggest one of the other bands in the "club".
It is also fantastic if there is a last minute problam and you need a Gig covering at short notice. Fortunately we have never had to be "bailed out", but have done quite a few last-minute gigs for other bands.
PM me your contact details if you fancy talking about an arrangement like this.
Stuart[/quote]

Cheers Stuart, we have an agreement like this with a band who contacted me through Twitter, on the odd occassion when we've had a double booking I've passed their details on to the client.

I'll PM you my details.

Thanks

Pete