Why become a member? ×

NS Wav stand failure... WITH POSITIVE OUTCOME! :)

Well, doing a rehearsal last night for a gig tonight and the bloody stand for the EUB just snaps! No undue stress, no excess gesturing on my part. Luckily I was hold of the bass at the time otherwise it would of crashed to the floor.

The most annoying thing is, I've been practicing for this gig and I was going to do the whole gig on the upright. I'd managed to nail a good tone at last and it was all feeling so good. Now I'm doing a gig on the electric, which is fine, but can't do any upright playing until it's sorted. I've email NS to see if they'll offer some sort of customer support, so it will be interesting to see what happens.

Anyone else had this happen to them on the NS EUB's?

Edited by derrenleepoole

So many manufacturers cut costs on those sorts of fittings. I've had the same happen to me with otherwise really expensive pieces of kit, that are badly let down by cheap clamps, fittings etc. Hope you can sort it soon mate; don't let them fob you off with 'user error' which is what I got from a retailer in a similar situation recently (that is until they realised I hadn't yet left eBay feedback for the item, and they started being nice to me - which is why I often pay a little over the odds to buy new stuff on ebay).

C

It looks like this is the camera tripod type stand rather than the heavy duty CR one - is that correct?

If its not a design fault, it has to be a manufacturing fault. I'm pretty sure you should be covered by the[url="http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/sale-of-goods/understanding-the-sale-of-goods-act/your-rights/"] fit for purpose clause of the sales of good act[/url]. I had no trouble getting the apple store to give me a new macbook battery when the one in my out of warranty MacBook bulged (I didn't have to make a fuss & they offered the free replacement before I mentioned my expectations in getting it replaced at no cost) Hopefully your retailer will be similary clued-up. Maybe an email to NS-Design will help, I've heard good things about their customer service in the past, although I've never needed after sales help personally.

I use both the endpin stand and the heavy duty stand which came with my CR5M - they seem pretty solid and I've had no trouble so far, but I hope the relevant piece on each is made of stronger stuff than yours.

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='1228859' date='May 12 2011, 02:29 PM']It looks like this is the camera tripod type stand rather than the heavy duty CR one - is that correct?

If its not a design fault, it has to be a manufacturing fault. I'm pretty sure you should be covered by the[url="http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/sale-of-goods/understanding-the-sale-of-goods-act/your-rights/"] fit for purpose clause of the sales of good act[/url]. I had no trouble getting the apple store to give me a new macbook battery when the one in my out of warranty MacBook bulged (I didn't have to make a fuss & they offered the free replacement before I mentioned my expectations in getting it replaced at no cost) Hopefully your retailer will be similary clued-up. Maybe an email to NS-Design will help, I've heard good things about their customer service in the past, although I've never needed after sales help personally.

I use both the endpin stand and the heavy duty stand which came with my CR5M - they seem pretty solid and I've had no trouble so far, but I hope the relevant piece on each is made of stronger stuff than yours.[/quote]

Yeah, it is the older camera tripod stand. If anything, I would of expected the thread into the bass to fail first rather than the unit snapping. I've emailed NS, it will be interesting to see what transpires. I missed a second-hand end pin on here recently, wish I'd bought it now. I've seen the newer model, but at £170 a pop, I'm not in a position at the moment to get another one.

The stand that came with my CR4M is probably the same heavy duty type that Jean Luc has got with his CR5M and I can't imagine anything like this ever happening with it to be honest...

That stand does look really flimsy in comparison :)

[quote name='derrenleepoole' post='1228522' date='May 12 2011, 10:37 AM']Anyone else had this happen to them on the NS EUB's?

[/quote]
Not me, but there were a few stand failures on the WAV4 - I think there was an uprated stand after the first ones shipped and started falling apart.

Um, if you're going to be throwing that top bit away, could you throw it away in my direction? :)

I was really annoyed when the rivet holding the top bit on came out on my WAV stand, but it was actually easily solved with a bent nail! Sadly now I'm worrying about the bloomin' thing snapping! They really are pretty useless, but the CR stands seem very expensive.

[quote name='tauzero' post='1229534' date='May 13 2011, 12:27 AM']Not me, but there were a few stand failures on the WAV4 - I think there was an uprated stand after the first ones shipped and started falling apart.

Um, if you're going to be throwing that top bit away, could you throw it away in my direction? :)[/quote]

Certainly... I had thought of passing on the stand as a project... so watch this space :)

Great news, NS have just emailed me to say that they'll replace the faulty stand at no cost! I've just got to send the unit back to them and they'll ship me another one for free! That is great customer service, and lucky too, as I very nearly ordered another one :)

@tauzero - sorry buddy, but the unit is going back so you can't have the damaged tripod after all.

Hi Derren,
the new NS stands for the NXT basses are much improved. Who did you get the WAV through?
Call Deano at House Music on 020 7357 7703; House Music are the UK importers for NS; I do a bit of work for them too.
Deano's a great bloke and will get it sorted for you no problem

This happened to me a few years ago with the stand on my WAV. I got a free replacement which when arrived was already broken!

I was pretty furious by this point, I must admit as I had a lot of gigs playing upright back then. I eventually got in touch with House Music and bought the upgraded (and properly made) stand for at cost price (£60) which was all they could do for me, or send me yet another WAV stand. I asked them to pass on the infomation that the WAV stands were crap and that they should really do something about it.

It kinda pissed me off that I really didn't have any option and that a company like NS Design cut corners on such a vital part of the instrument.

Still grinds my gears to this day thinking about it again haha!

ah well the new stand is good tho, def worth upgrading!

[quote name='attackbass' post='1233394' date='May 16 2011, 06:34 PM']This happened to me a few years ago with the stand on my WAV. I got a free replacement which when arrived was already broken!

I was pretty furious by this point, I must admit as I had a lot of gigs playing upright back then. I eventually got in touch with House Music and bought the upgraded (and properly made) stand for at cost price (£60) which was all they could do for me, or send me yet another WAV stand. I asked them to pass on the infomation that the WAV stands were crap and that they should really do something about it.

It kinda pissed me off that I really didn't have any option and that a company like NS Design cut corners on such a vital part of the instrument.

Still grinds my gears to this day thinking about it again haha!

ah well the new stand is good tho, def worth upgrading![/quote]

The WAV stands were terrible. I've got a WAV bass and bought the proper one too. They retail at £149. Just so you know £60 is amazing; they cost House Music more than that! Wonderful deal!
NS design were at fault for sure putting out that stand but it's much improved now.

[quote name='Nickytwister' post='1233307' date='May 16 2011, 05:25 PM']Hi Derren,
the new NS stands for the NXT basses are much improved. Who did you get the WAV through?
Call Deano at House Music on 020 7357 7703; House Music are the UK importers for NS; I do a bit of work for them too.
Deano's a great bloke and will get it sorted for you no problem[/quote]

Yeah, just had confirmation from NS that this is who I need to contact. This puts me in hope that maybe, just maybe, I'll have a stand for the next gig :)

[quote name='derrenleepoole' post='1235205' date='May 18 2011, 08:40 AM']Yeah, just had confirmation from NS that this is who I need to contact. This puts me in hope that maybe, just maybe, I'll have a stand for the next gig :)[/quote]

Derren I spoke to Deano about this two days ago.
If you call him quick and mention the basschat thing I'm sure he'll sort you out immediately.
House Music are 100% up for sorting NS customers out and keeping them happy.
Good luck!
N

[quote name='Nickytwister' post='1235386' date='May 18 2011, 11:01 AM']Derren I spoke to Deano about this two days ago.
If you call him quick and mention the basschat thing I'm sure he'll sort you out immediately.
House Music are 100% up for sorting NS customers out and keeping them happy.
Good luck!
N[/quote]

Sorted! Thank you so much for the heads up! Stand is on it's way :)