Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Fender 51 reissue precision MIJ

rob_89

[quote name='rob_89' post='1220102' date='May 4 2011, 06:06 PM']Any one clued up to what a Fender 51 reissue precision should fetch 2nd hand in decent condition??

Its made in Japan, 94/95 year in sunburst with a maple board?

Any ideas are most welcome, many thanks![/quote]

£450-£500 max depending on conditions, and if has the original 2 saddles bridge, and no mods being carried out.

[quote name='AndyTravis' post='1220132' date='May 4 2011, 06:51 PM']Somebody give me £400-£500 please!!![/quote]

For what?! does this mean:

a, you want someone to give you £400-£500 so you can buy one

OR

b, you would like someone to give you £400-£500 for one you are selling?

If you answer B, i may be able to help....

[quote name='AndyTravis' post='1220209' date='May 4 2011, 08:00 PM']eek, no i'd love a 51 reissue, or indeed anything up tooriginal 54, in 2 tone burst, always miss out on them, due to lack of £400-£500 to £15k at the appropriate time.[/quote]

Yeh they are lovely things. probly more the £400-500 mark than the 15k though! i guess you agree with the other post thats about a decent price for one then mate?

I'll be honest, it seems to be the going rate.

I've sold them in shops from £499 to £650 ish new across the second run of reissues.

I just remember drooling over the sunburst one in Sound Control in Salford in about 1998, yet out of all the 100's of fenders i've swapped/sold/bought etc, never owned one, always seem to end up on something else. Seems mad as I would have got a deal from Fender, d'oh!

My mate has the same bass in butterscotch - But his constant use of ultra heavy strings has goosed the neck, so i'll never end up with his.

Just need to tidy a few things up, and it'll be either Custom shop '55 or Jap '51 in Sunburst, then onto my Wal quest...i'll die happy.

Edited by AndyTravis

[quote name='AndyTravis' post='1220248' date='May 4 2011, 08:36 PM']I'll be honest, it seems to be the going rate.

I've sold them in shops from £499 to £650 ish new across the second run of reissues.

I just remember drooling over the sunburst one in Sound Control in Salford in about 1998, yet out of all the 100's of fenders i've swapped/sold/bought etc, never owned one, always seem to end up on something else. Seems mad as I would have got a deal from Fender, d'oh!

My mate has the same bass in butterscotch - But his constant use of ultra heavy strings has goosed the neck, so i'll never end up with his.

Just need to tidy a few things up, and it'll be either Custom shop '55 or Jap '51 in Sunburst, then onto my Wal quest...i'll die happy.[/quote]

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fender-51-reissue-precision-bass-/260779501162?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item3cb7ab666a"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fender-51-reissue-pr...=item3cb7ab666a[/url]

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='1220475' date='May 5 2011, 12:14 AM'][url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fender-51-reissue-precision-bass-/260779501162?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item3cb7ab666a"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fender-51-reissue-pr...=item3cb7ab666a[/url][/quote]

That one was up before and it didn't sell. I know a lot of people have been trying to get £500, on the grounds they were discontinued, but I've never seen one actually sell for that, at least not on eBay. £350-£400 is more realistic to actually sell it. I bought my 2004 butterscotch, in as new condition, for £400 and sold it on here for the same.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='1220475' date='May 5 2011, 12:14 AM'][url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fender-51-reissue-precision-bass-/260779501162?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item3cb7ab666a"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fender-51-reissue-pr...=item3cb7ab666a[/url][/quote]

Hiya, is this still for sale, or are you re-listing it on Ebay?

Cheers!
Joe

Nice tartan helmet btw :)

the prices quoted seems realistic - loving mine ." Sounds like a proper bass " is , for what it's worth , the opinion of my drumming companion.

There's a one just sold on ebay for less than £300 (check the ebay section of BC), so I don't think the lower figures quoted are far wide of the mark! However, something is only worth what someone will pay; I recently offered over £400 for a MIJ P bass and got knocked back, so certain buyers are holding out for the right buyer which is fair does.

If someone were to buy mine off me, it would have to be at least £500. They're great basses, are made just as good as the CIJ RI's, sound just as good and look the nuts and they regularly go for around £500. Why should a '51-'54 RI be any less?

Truckstop

[quote name='Truckstop' post='1246030' date='May 26 2011, 06:34 PM']If someone were to buy mine off me, it would have to be at least £500. They're great basses, are made just as good as the CIJ RI's, sound just as good and look the nuts and they regularly go for around £500. Why should a '51-'54 RI be any less?[/quote]
It's back to the age old debate of 'value' v 'worth'. You can value an instrument at any price you like BUT it's worth is what someone is prepared to put their hand in their pocket and pay!

I've bought mine for £450 and sold it for about the same price here to a bc'er. It's a fantastic sounding bass, lovely to play but... there are two things that you need to come to terms with, one is the fact that it weighs a near walloping 10lbs the other is the slab body sans contours which does dig into your arm, these two factors make it a painful bass to play on extended periods and I have tried to ignore it at first because of the sound factor, I thought would win in the end, but in my case what done it, was that almost any other bass I own is less than 8lbs and I naturally ended up using it less and less particularly because of the excellent Squier CV 50's that I had modded with original American parts and a Lollar pickup, at around 7.5lbs I said to myself is it worth it when the Squier plays and sounds just as good? So I sold it.

i suppose you could soup up a squier, no problem with that but it still wont be a fender or sound near enough as good.
whether due to my height and size, i dont find much discomfort with the bass, not forgetting i have a 3" strap.
i think for a discontinued bass which does have excellent condition, no mods or missing parts and you dont mind shipping local, national and abroad, then there is alot more money to be made than £450, especially now with the new 51 squier out reaching around £300!!
i dont want to fill you with false hope as at the end of the day it all comes down to alot of things, who you sell it to being one.

[quote name='bigsmokebass' post='1251104' date='May 31 2011, 09:31 AM']i suppose you could soup up a squier, no problem with that but it still wont be a fender [u]or sound near enough as good[/u].[/quote]
Why shouldn't it sound anywhere near as good? As for still not being a Fender... the inclusion of the word Fender on the headstock does not in itself dictate that a bass is better than a copy of said bass! :)

i just find the quality of stock materials on the licensed fender, gibson, musicman. . . . products hardly ever match or represent the origional to many degrees.

i have tried the squier 51 bass and can confirm this to my fender model, fact?!
nothing stopping people souping these up over time to make them sound decent but straight away it [i]could[/i] cost you almost as much as a used origional.
the likes of fenders, gibsons and all the rest are sound investments for live, recording, collecting and even selling as you often get more back than you baught it for.

im not saying this is for every case as im sure people do have the time and money to make these guitars sound as accurate as possible and sometimes these licensed products have a tone and feel of thier own making them unique: tokai for 1 example.

i've always, upto now, baught the real things as you know what your getting than cheap imatations that dont tend to live up to thier predecessors IMO.

[i]lol not looking for arguements, just what i've experienced and my opinions =)
[/i]

[b]BSB[/b]

edit: take the rickenbacker for example, worth just abit over £1000 3 years back, worshipped as a rock solid bass and now today can sell for almost double. whats happening to some of these knock offs that dont sound as good? sell for about half thier rrp if lucky lol XD

Edited by bigsmokebass