Why become a member? ×

TRADED: RIM Marseer Custom 6

pantherairsoft

Just a feeler this one... On my quest to go one fretted & one fretless, paired with my Spitfire 6 already being up for sale, I'm offering up my RIM as a feeler. This bass is a testament to Robbie's skills as a Luthier.

This one I do love, but can't help but fall for the Roscoe feel and sound. Many of you know this one already and it was featured heavily in a build diary here - [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=88195"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=88195[/url]

Specs -
6 String RIM Marseer Custom
35" scale Maple/Wenge Bolt-on Neck with RIM-style slotted headstock
Ebony nut
Honduran Rosewood Board (Side dots only)
Black Limba Body with RIM-style slotted fish tail & Matching control cavity cover
Myrtle Top and matching Headstock facing
Black Hardware (Hipshot O-Ring Knobs, Schaller Strap Locks etc.) and custom fish tail bridge
Aguilar OBP3 Pre-amp
Delano SBC 6 HE/S Pickups
18.5mm String Spacing

Has a solid, dark, punchy tone. With the EQ flat it has a passive jazz like sound, tweak the EQ and you have a Hugh fat sound. This has more bass on tap than any bass I've owned - the combination of Black Limba and the Aguilar Pre is a sub-monster. There are a few basschatters that will happily vouch for this one! :)

As a feeler (I may withdraw this) I'm asking £1400. Strictly no offers unless it's a Roscoe. Collection from Nottingham, strictly no shipping. Comes with a Protection Racket hard/soft case which is a great fit for this small bodied baby.

Anyone that wants to try her is more than welcome.

Shep

[quote name='pantherairsoft' post='1216514' date='May 1 2011, 01:11 PM']I'm offering up my RIM as a feeler.[/quote]
Please rephrase this. :)

That is a stunning looking bass, I love the way the "tailpiece" is part of the body.

Wow, really lovely example of a sixer. I have played Roscoes and although they make good basses I can't see why you would sell the RIM or GB in favour of a Roscoe.

Edited by HazBeen

[quote name='HazBeen' post='1216691' date='May 1 2011, 05:11 PM']Wow, really lovely example of a sixer. I have played Roscoes and although they make good basses I can't see why you would sell the RIM or GB in favour of a Roscoe.[/quote]

I think it's about what just 'works'. The RIM and GB are stunning and very different. I'm just finding I love the Roscoe Bart tone and the neck on my Century standard (and other Roscoe 6's) I've played are the most comfy I've played. If the GB and/or RIM don't sell, then I'll not be bothered. They are stunning instruments that will last a life time.

Shep

Fair comment Shep, sometimes it's the little things that count.

And for a fact I know that a Spitfire has a complete different character then any Roscoe, although the neck on my Rumour is lightning fast. The RIM is just dead sexy though......., if only I was Mr. Loads O' Money!!!!

Good luck with selling both Shep, no way will you be stuck with them. The price is good on both and although must of us mortals (before I had my Spector 6s I sure as hell was) are a bit scared of 6 strings, I am pretty confident the right buyer will pop up sooner or later.

Haz

[quote name='pantherairsoft' post='1216821' date='May 1 2011, 08:47 PM']I think it's about what just 'works'. The RIM and GB are stunning and very different. I'm just finding I love the Roscoe Bart tone and the neck on my Century standard (and other Roscoe 6's) I've played are the most comfy I've played. If the GB and/or RIM don't sell, then I'll not be bothered. They are stunning instruments that will last a life time.

Shep[/quote]

I had a Roscoe 5 string about 6 years ago. It was a fretted bass, but it had what I would describe as the perfect fretless sound.

It had Barts and a Bart preamp. I think it had a mahogany body and Spanish olive facings.

Edited by Soliloquy

Many a person I've spoken to feel the Roscoe Bart/Bart combo is about the best fretless tone about. All the Roscoe fretless basses I've played have had that combo and I love it. They have all had Ash bodies though.

I've tried a Roscoe Bart/Bart combination with a Mahogony body on a fretted bass and it had a huge mid 'thump' without any sacrifice on 'tightness'. It's a very very good combination.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='AttitudeCastle' post='1235027' date='May 17 2011, 10:41 PM']Is there a name for bridges like that or the tail piece or what ever its called? They look awesome!

Beautiful bass man! Bump on me![/quote]

Robbie just refers to it as a tail piece. The bridge & tail piece are custom made for RIM basses to the exact spec/string spacing required by the customer. Pretty neat!

THE BASS IS NOW TRADED PENDING

I believe I know exactly what's going on. Northern Europe beckons I think........ cryptic enough?

[quote name='pantherairsoft' post='1235163' date='May 18 2011, 08:19 AM']You all have to wait and see... It's Roscoe flavoured and has 6 strings though :)[/quote]