Why become a member? ×

courier rant

Incoming rant!

Bought a new pedal online. Brilliant!! Cant wait to get it! Shop advises the peda is next day delivery. It arrives but noones home so I get a calling card. Its dpd! Aaaaaahhhhh! I hate this organisation!!

I cant speak to anyone to assist me its automated phones and a tick box website.
I cant change delivery address as the receiver
They only deliver 9-5 monday to friday - thats when I work!!
Saturday delivery costs an additional 12 quid!!
Bank holidays are a no go.
Did I say they ony deliver when im at work!!!!

Why would anyone use these. I hate faceless organisations. I hate paying for a Service that I have no control over!!

I just want my freakin pedal and its in a warehouse somewhere I cant get to!!!!! Hows that gonna help my gas!!!!!!

Aaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh!!!!! :@

Clling the shop tomorrow to see if theyll help. Past experience indicates its gonna be a pain in the arsr. This is the third time with this company!!! I just want my bass gear!!

[quote name='Salt on your Bass?' post='1214048' date='Apr 28 2011, 06:33 PM']Incoming rant!

Bought a new pedal online. Brilliant!! Cant wait to get it! Shop advises the peda is next day delivery. It arrives but noones home so I get a calling card. Its dpd! Aaaaaahhhhh! I hate this organisation!!

I cant speak to anyone to assist me its automated phones and a tick box website.
I cant change delivery address as the receiver
They only deliver 9-5 monday to friday - thats when I work!!
Saturday delivery costs an additional 12 quid!!
Bank holidays are a no go.
Did I say they ony deliver when im at work!!!!

Why would anyone use these. I hate faceless organisations. I hate paying for a Service that I have no control over!!

I just want my freakin pedal and its in a warehouse somewhere I cant get to!!!!! Hows that gonna help my gas!!!!!!

Aaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh!!!!! :@

Clling the shop tomorrow to see if theyll help. Past experience indicates its gonna be a pain in the arsr. This is the third time with this company!!! I just want my bass gear!![/quote]

in a civilised world (the one we dont live in obviously) delivery would be a customer focused business in which evening or weekend delivery would be standard. I expect it is in Sweden or Norway (or even Finland).

Edited by RichF

The convenience of buying online or mail order is that you dont have to go to a shop and buy said item. It saves me a lot of time and aggrevation in most cases, using other courier companies.

With others I can change my delivery address if I receive a calling card. Also, ive paid for the postage. I am therefore the client. Its my pedal as the funds have left my account. The shop as I see it gave instructed the company on my behalf, yet I am in a position with dpd that I am unable to do nything abouy it!

Im not knocking any other company, just dpd in this instance as its always with them.

[quote name='voxpop' post='1214052' date='Apr 28 2011, 06:39 PM']I work for a mail order company and get this from my customers all the time.
Why order a product from a mail order company if you are at work all day????? And won't pay the extra for a Saturday delivery??

It baffles me everyday.[/quote]

Or request delivery to your place of work....

[quote name='voxpop' post='1214052' date='Apr 28 2011, 06:39 PM']I work for a mail order company and get this from my customers all the time.
Why order a product from a mail order company if you are at work all day????? And won't pay the extra for a Saturday delivery??

It wouldnt make any difference which courier you use, its just the way the system works

The courier offfers a next day service on the assumption there is someone to recieve it. Next time find a friendly neighbour or have it delivered at work

I've always found DPD to be one of the better ones because I always get an email and a text telling me the hour slot when I will receive the package, if I know I wont be in then I will phone up and rearrange. Also whenever DPD deliver to me it is before 8:30am.

Delivery drivers are not all bad, make sure that you buy from a shop that uses a company you find to be reliable and predictable.

Your condescending tone is irritating, mate :lol: :)

I don't know which couriers you use... but their efficiency varies a lot!

Usually the customer does not know which company will be used, until they show up.

Some, like Royal Mail, work fine for me. If I am not at home during work hours it's ok... I get a card and I can collect in person at a local depot.
ParcelForce sometimes do that, sometimes it's the out of town depot. That still works as it's only 20min away for me.

A number of other companies work in a similar way, so it's ok for me.

Sometimes I can arrange delivery at work. Good. Sometimes that's not possible as they can only deliver to the address my card is registered to. Sometimes one can change delivery address after their first attempt. Not always. Sometimes a neighbour can colect. Not always.
It generally works out fine.

However... a "selected few", are a royal pain in the arse, repeatedly: depot 25miles away, or they would often "forget" to leave an "attempted delivery" card with all the important details... sometimes you arrange a delivery and they don't show up. Or post an "attempted delivery" card without knocking, when you are indeed inside. In fact, I had that once where I heard the card being put through the letter box. No knocking or ringing. By the time I saw what it was, the guy was gone... in addition, this card was dated Monday saying "we will try again on Wednesday, if unsucessful you will have to collect"... but it was Wednesday already :)

Paying extra for saturday delivery?
Not all companies offer you that service. Some do, and it works. Some do, and they just charge you and don't show up... and you spent half of your Saturday at home waiting for nothing. Never had that experience?

I am away from home during normal work hours, yet I buy a lot online. From books to bass gear. Lots of shops. Many couriers. It generally works fine for me. I get to choose from a wider range of items than I could locally, and when I occasionally have to go to an out of town depot it's not more complicated than going into town...
However... SOME delivery companies *consistently* do their best to be a pain in the ass.

"It baffles me everyday" that an online company would use the incompetent couriers.

Until I realised that one can rarely generalise about a courier being bad, as it is often a local thing. My particular local depot may be incompetent, or maybe only the people involved in servicing my area... maybe it's just one particular driver sometimes. So... if you are in Edinburgh, avoid UKMail like the plague. But in another city it may be ok, I don't know.

Edited by mcnach

Bit of a pain this. I rely on the card being put through and just pick up from the depot following day. Worst was dpd because their nearest depot is 50 miles from me. Luckily enough I was working 20 miles from it the following day and managed to pick up otherwise it would have been a 100 mile round trip.

That's the difficulty of working all day i guess.

Maybe I should pack in my job and claim all those benefits that people get and at least i'd be in to receive my deliveries. :P

On the other hand I wouldn't be able to afford buying the items in first place.

GOD THAT'S A CATCH 22 :lol: :) :D

My neighbour took mine in last time which was lucky cause he's usually out too. New amp & cab waiting patiently in his garage whoo hoo.

Cheers
Dave :)

I've just had something delivered by DPD today.

They emailed me to tell me which day they were coming. Earlier today, they emailed me to give me a one hour slot. The delivery arrived 8 minutes into the slot. They also gave me the option to provide instructions to leave the parcel with a neighbour, or to chose an alternative day.

I don't really see how this could have been better. I'll definitely use them again.