Why become a member? ×

Anybody going to see Geddy and friends next month??

Bobby K

[quote name='toneknob' post='1246134' date='May 26 2011, 07:41 PM']It's all going well until they say Working Them Angels is some of their fabulous tremendous best work[/quote]
I'd agree with that actually - fantastic song.
I'd put "Snakes & Arrows" up there with their best stuff.

Was in the 02 last night....fantastic set!!! Was up with the gods on geddy's side but had a great view!! The sound....hmmm.....something was incredibly resonant.....kick drum? Taurus? Bass? I did see a few guys have a few words with the sound guy..but nothing much changed. Some songs sounded better than others! Was my first time seeing them and I'm a massive fan...was almost in tears when they first came on stage :) Highlight of the night for me? Marathon, Vital Signs and Subdivisions. Anyone else at the 02 last night?

Dan

Here's a vid I took of the guys at the Birmingham show, letting rip in the solo section of[i][b] Freewill[/b][/i]

Enjoy! :)

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8cNE7aICKg"]Freewill solo[/url]

I went to the NEC gig and noticed that all the black jazz now had Pearl block inlays, has he changed the necks on all his basses then? From another post someone spotted a fender custom shop logo and they were credited in the programme so maybe Ged got some new toys? From where we were, behind and to the left of the sound desk the sound was fine, I head someone come down from the sides and say they couldn't hear the guitar too well, they keys were pretty high in the mix when used, but they played like demons.

[quote name='toneknob' post='1245283' date='May 26 2011, 10:14 AM']I was at the O2 last night, brilliant show - I was in the 2nd row right in front of Ged. Got a load of pics, I'll edit and post the good ones later.

I think he played about 5 different Jazzes over the course of the night, I can't remember when each was used and for what song, but here's some facts I do know - can anyone else flesh out the rest?
1. Black signature bass with new neck (pearloid slab markers, white neck binding)
2. Drop-D tuned Jazz for Stick It Out
3. Red Jazz pictured above for 2112, I think tuned DGCF

No fretless this time - as used on Malignant Narcissim from the last tour. Any ideas about the others?

The steampunk setting was cool - even the bass/midi pedals got the treatment.[/quote]

I was at the O2, its a bad room to drive lots of bass into, and if Rush do anything else it's drive the bass, Geddy's sound has the sonic range of most bands all by itself...!!

I watched Prince's FoH sound guy wrestle with the bass during the first gig there a couple of years back, the problem is (according to live sound guys I know who have worked there) that the room is completely different when empty, as the audience are effectively the "walls" of the room. You have to rebalance the whole gig from the top after the crowd arrives. You could hear Rush's sound change quite dramatically as he sought to find the balance, and the band were clearly having monitor issues as well.

Didn't stop them from tearing the bloody roof off and delivering one of the best performances i've seen from them in 20 years, mind. Cracking gig.

Met up with SS73 and his brother, who took my spare tickets, great to meet you guys.

Geddy has some new Custom shop necks on his basses, hence the V logo in some shots and the new pearlescent block markers.

[url="http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/190/img0340fe.jpg/"][/url]

Edited by WinterMute

• 2 weeks later...

Just stumbled across a great interview with Geddy on Youtube, in which he discusses his bass tone and the basses he's used over the years. Very interesting indeed, have a butcher's...

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wma2NtQ1CIE&NR=1"]Geddy talks bass[/url]

Kind of throws some light on some of the stuff that was discussed earlier in this thread :)

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1262856' date='Jun 9 2011, 04:17 PM']Great to hear Geddy talking about the Wal basses and the Steinbergers. I think he knows he would sound better if he was using them now but given that they're so rare and old it's best not to be touring with those basses.[/quote]

Awesome to see him discussing these things, definitely :D

I'd love to hear his take on the whole "bad live sound" thing though. He's obviously playing the basses he loves to play and ones he thinks are right for his playing these days. He's using in ears and has got the mix he wants. Shame he can't sit out front and watch one of the shows :)

Would love to see the black Wal again :) As for being rare and old, I don't think it really matters; these things are meant to be played. Probably best not use one of those rare old basses down in his local pub on a Friday night though :lol:

[quote name='toneknob' post='1262937' date='Jun 9 2011, 05:15 PM']"Play so fast they can't tell that you're out of tune. That's the secret to playing fretless bass"

:)[/quote]

Quality :)

[i][b]Malignant Narcissism[/b][/i] is awesome innit?

[quote name='dan2112' post='1246458' date='May 26 2011, 11:36 PM']Was in the 02 last night....fantastic set!!! Was up with the gods on geddy's side but had a great view!! The sound....hmmm.....something was incredibly resonant.....kick drum? Taurus? Bass? I did see a few guys have a few words with the sound guy..but nothing much changed. Some songs sounded better than others! Was my first time seeing them and I'm a massive fan...was almost in tears when they first came on stage :) Highlight of the night for me? Marathon, Vital Signs and Subdivisions. Anyone else at the 02 last night?

Dan[/quote]

I saw them earlier in the week and found similar, something incredible boomy and resonant in the mix. Sounded great other than that little niggle though, amazing to see some of my heroes in the flesh :)

I liked Working Man, the 1 second reference to Cygnus and Actually the newer stuff sounded pretty awesome. Always love the synth solos in Subdivisions too

A mate of mine went to see the Rush tribute 'Bravado' last Friday. They obviously knew that pretty much all their audience would have been to see the real band recently so they deliberately avoided as much of the official tour set list as possible, think they only did Spirit Of Radio which overlapped which is a pretty cool thing to be able to do.