Why become a member? ×

Bass worth the money?

MeThoDz892

Hello,

I was just wondering were-ever or not you think this bass, with the amp, is worth the money?

[url="http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Black-Knight-CB-42M2-5-String-Bass-Guitar-and-BP80-Amp-Pack/D7F"]http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/...80-Amp-Pack/D7F[/url]

Im looking for a new bass and a new amp and noticed this deal and thought, personally, it looked good but as I dont know much about bass guitar I thought I would run it by you guys first.

Let me know what you think, thanks. :)

I would advise to buy used gear. Might not be all shiny and conveniently delivered in one big box, but you will get a lot more for your money. Also if you do some research and choose carefully, your items should hold their value if you ever want to upgrade, weras reselling unknown starter gear like that would be difficult and you might take a bigger hit in your wallet.

Hope this helps, best wishes

I've heard good things about G4M's White Horse amps elsewhere.

I'd say for the money it's a pretty tasty bundle, but as Cycrowave points out there are excellent bargains to be had secondhand if you know what you want. Ashdown EB180s come up fairly often for not much more than £100 - great budget amp that'll happily do small gigs without PA support.

Hi,

First if you're starting out I'd stick to FOUR strings before you go to 5.

Second, if you have £300 only to spend then buy a better quality 2nd hand instrument because as you get better the shortcomings of a cheap tool will really start to put you off where you should be getting inspiration. Playing the bass is an art, every time you open your case should feel like the first time. Trust me, you'll be glad you didn't buy a donkey when you're flying up the neck in front of an appreciative audience.

Try the Warwick Rockbasses or the Corts. Nice mid priced basses with plenty of character and usability.

Hope that helps.

I disagree strongly with the "start with a 4 before moving to 5-string".

There's nothing to be gained that way, and the 5-string is more versatile. Full stop.
Also, it's easier to play a 5 then move to 4 than viceversa. So, if a 5-string is what you want, go for it!

But I would agree with the second hand buy. Starting out you're likely to not know veyr clearly what you want, and you will likely want to change or try other things as you learn and start figuring out what you like and what you don't like. If you buy new, you'll take a hit everytime you change. Buying second hand you pretty much keep the money, and makes it easier to upgrade.

The OLP that was linked to a few posts above would definitely be on my personal list. OLPs are nice basses as they are, stock. You can always add a couple of improvements and have a great bass for little money.

Second hand all the way.

I wouldn't say there's any hard and fast rules about starting on 4 vs 5, there's a bit more muting technique necessary on a 5, but learning it early isn't a bad thing. Music is music, there's no difference going from 4s to 5s or vice versa in my opinion, if you have good technique and an understanding of the instrument, you'll nail it in 5 mins either way.
Of course, if you don't know why u want a five string...why pay the extra money for one?, it's not really the case that it's more versatile, otherwise we'd all be playing 8 strings!. Usually it's building from the ground up, getting to know your preference, which is why most start on 4's.

Buy second hand but do your research, get recommendations etc

Si

I`ll echo the point of buying 2nd hand. Usually, what you pay for it, is approximately what you`ll get back, should you decide to upgrade later on. Plus, as it`s 2nd hand, for the same money, the item(s) you get is/are likely to be of higher quality, playability, and generally likely to have a better sound, all of which will enhance your progress on the instrument.