Why become a member? ×

GB Streamliner 600 query

dmccombe7

I'm getting a very slight clicking noise from my GB SL600 when hi-end ramped up on either the bass or amp.
It is very slight.
Its quite regular like a metronome type sound and only when a note is played.
Its not there when bass is silent.

Could this be down to the power section switching or possible amp fault. ?

Is this normal for class D type amps.
The amp is new circa 5 days old.

I've never noticed it with my older amps and might be looking for a fault that doesn't exist ??.

Any help appreciated.

Dave

I had a rehearsal a few days ago and my SWR headlite clicked all night at a local studio. So at the end of the rehearsal I started switching off the lights and suddenly the click vanished.....only problem, I was in total darkness. Might make me play better. LOL

I think its a problem with switch mode power supplies on digital amps................... picks up crap from lighting and poor mains.

Edited by voxpop

Appreciate the suggestions guys.

No fluorescent lamps on. Daylight operation today.

Its too regular when a note plays for it to be a fridge etc. Fridge or freezer I would expect to be more consistant rather than a clicking - could be wrong though.

Mobile phone not near approx 20 ft away in another room. I do have an electric fence out back but switched off at present - no livestock in field.

I think you must be onto something with the Class D amp switching picking up on mains noise from somewhere.
Will try experimenting with that theory.

Please note that it is very slight and not at all noticeable when playing.
More annoying that i can't figure it out.

Any further suggestions, advice or similar experiences would be helpful.

Will keep you all posted as to my findings.

Cheers
Dave

I had the same problem recently.

My lodger's Yamaha amp does it, we thought it was the amp failing and i started this thread:
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=128298&hl=yamaha"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...8&hl=yamaha[/url]

However when i crank my Superfly/EA rig it does it, also does it with my Hartke A70, so it's not the gear. Funnily enough it's only recently i've noticed it with those amps! It only does it when the treble is up and the bridge pickup is favoured, also the volume has to be pretty high.

Not much help, sorry!

After the issues with the mains leads i changed mine to a better quality plug and the fit is now snug and doesn't cut the power off when moved.

The other noticeable benefit was that the clicking has disappeared.

I had previously tried my Warwick, Overwater and Jazz basses direct and changed all leads to no avail.

Could it be that the poor connection on the mains plug was causing higher current flow and subsequent clicking on the power switching side of the amp. ?

It has now disappeared and nothing else has changed ?
Weird but interesting. I love a good puzzle. !!!!

Cheers
Dave