Why become a member? ×

Bass takes less time than guitar

Typical guitarist ... "bought the bass about a year ago when I decided to get back into a band in a bass playing role because [b]I couldn't commit the time to take on the guitarist position[/b]"

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200598624361&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT[/url]

of course bass takes less time than guitar - it's only got 4 strings innit? Actually it's a good job it takes less time to set up and tune, after all, if we weren't the consumate professionals that we are, who would set up the PA?

[quote name='paul_5' post='1203042' date='Apr 17 2011, 10:45 PM']of course bass takes less time than guitar - it's only got 4 strings innit? Actually it's a good job it takes less time to set up and tune, after all, if we weren't the consumate professionals that we are, who would set up the PA?[/quote]

Setting up the PA and lights just gives us something to do while the guitarist is setting out his pedals.

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1203044' date='Apr 17 2011, 10:47 PM']Reading between the lines, he just couldn't cut it as a bassist and went back to strumming chords. :)[/quote]
He does say that the band he was playing bass for folded due to "musical differences". I wonder if that was along the lines of "I can play bass" - "Oh no you can't".

[quote name='munkonthehill' post='1203066' date='Apr 17 2011, 11:18 PM']hahaha.

What suprised me is the lack of knowledge regarding impedance from band members. Also not wanting to learn!!!!

Its a bloody liberty and everyone just now assumes setting up the PA is my job!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/quote]

Impedance? We never get anywhere near impedance.

"Where does this go?" (holding out xlr plug on end of mic lead)

"Just bend over, I'll show you."

[quote name='spinynorman' post='1203052' date='Apr 17 2011, 11:01 PM']Setting up the PA and lights just gives us something to do while the guitarist is setting out his pedals.[/quote]

& while the drummer is setting up the Myriad of drums/cymbals/stands that I loaded into the van earlier - three of which he may actually play during the gig!
(he may even play one of them in time with the rest of us too).

Edited by tazza1

[quote name='tazza1' post='1204782' date='Apr 19 2011, 02:00 PM']& while the drummer is setting up the Myriad of drums/cymbals/stands that I loaded into the van earlier - three of which he may actually play during the gig!
(he may even play one of them in time with the rest of us too).[/quote]

The cymbal he/she chooses to play loudest will always be the one closest to your head.

Edited for sexism: there are lady drummers, too.

Edited by Daquifsta