Why become a member? ×

Markbass Confusion

Hector

Hi guys,

So my Markbass Little Mark II has gotten to be quite temperamental. Essentially, the speaker cable jack has to have pressure on it in order to make a decent connection. I'm wondering if this is likely to be a fault of my amp or of the speaker cable? It doesn't seem to lock into the jack as it does with my cab.

I'm quite confused as to this issue, so any thoughts would be a great help!

H

[quote name='Hector' post='1198753' date='Apr 13 2011, 09:38 PM']It is a speakon! Does the above advice still apply?[/quote]

Sorry, you said 'jack' earlier so I assumed you weren't using the speakon.

Asuming you are using a speakon<>speakon lead, will both ends of the cable lock into the speaker cab properly?
If they do, then the amp socket is probably defective.

Chassis mounted speakons are generally moulded units, so repairing them is pretty much a non starter (and they're only a couple of quid to replace anyway).

If the amp is still under warranty then get MarkBass to sort it out for you.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1198762' date='Apr 13 2011, 09:43 PM']I has never seen a knackered speakon socket.[/quote]

NL2FC plug in an NL4MP socket is ok, but use an NL4FC plug in an NL2MP socket and they don't like it too much.

NL4FC's are the plugs of the devil... :)

[quote name='icastle' post='1198807' date='Apr 13 2011, 10:21 PM']Sorry, you said 'jack' earlier so I assumed you weren't using the speakon.

Asuming you are using a speakon<>speakon lead, will both ends of the cable lock into the speaker cab properly?
If they do, then the amp socket is probably defective.

Chassis mounted speakons are generally moulded units, so repairing them is pretty much a non starter (and they're only a couple of quid to replace anyway).

If the amp is still under warranty then get MarkBass to sort it out for you.[/quote]

Cable locks into the cab properly at both ends. The speakon jack on the amp is a moulded unit, so would be easy to replace but is not still under warranty. Don't trust myself to do it, so I suppose I'll have to take it to a local music shop or someting....sigh.

One other thing is that the jack on the amp is definitely a NL2 - maybe I have the wrong sort of speakon cable?

[quote name='Hector' post='1198895' date='Apr 13 2011, 11:20 PM']Cable locks into the cab properly at both ends. The speakon jack on the amp is a moulded unit, so would be easy to replace but is not still under warranty. Don't trust myself to do it, so I suppose I'll have to take it to a local music shop or someting....sigh.

One other thing is that the jack on the amp is definitely a NL2 - maybe I have the wrong sort of speakon cable?[/quote]

Easiest way to tell them apart is:-
NL4 plugs usually have a little metal catch that you have to slide towards yourself before you rotate the plug to remove it.
NL2 plugs usually have a plastic collar that you have to pull towards yourself before you rotate the plug to remove it.

If you have NL4 plugs then that is probably where the wear has come from, they'll work but eventually the locking mechanism on the socket gives out.

If you're going to replace the socket then I'd probably be tempted to have them fit an NL4 socket (wired as an NL2 of course) then it doesn't matter what anyone shoves in it.

[quote name='Muppet' post='1198931' date='Apr 13 2011, 11:59 PM']Check the cheap items first before assuming the expensive items are at fault. Get another speaker cable with the right connectors and try it out.[/quote]

Roger. I'm nipping in to town to pick up some cable with NL2 connectors. I'm going to come clean and admit that I never knew there were different sorts of connectors on these cables! How thick am I?! Shows my roots as a double bass player - pretty clueless about amps from years of gigging acoustically....

Hopefully the cable will fit properly with the NL2s. Thanks for the help all! Will report back with tales of woe/joy.

H

[quote name='Hector' post='1199099' date='Apr 14 2011, 10:05 AM']Roger. I'm nipping in to town to pick up some cable with NL2 connectors. I'm going to come clean and admit that I never knew there were different sorts of connectors on these cables! How thick am I?! Shows my roots as a double bass player - pretty clueless about amps from years of gigging acoustically....

Hopefully the cable will fit properly with the NL2s. Thanks for the help all! Will report back with tales of woe/joy.[/quote]

No worries Hector, I'd be quite comfortable to bet that there are thousands of other people making exactly the same mistake as I type this. :)

FWIW - I remember reading something (don't ask me where) a while back about speakon connectors on Markbass heads being a little prone to bad connections. As the owner of an LMK and previously an F500 I totally agree. Seeing as the sockets can accept jack or speakon I just use jacks, but it's still frustrating.

[quote name='icastle' post='1199407' date='Apr 14 2011, 01:56 PM']No worries Hector, I'd be quite comfortable to bet that there are thousands of other people making exactly the same mistake as I type this. :)[/quote]

NL2s fixed it! :lol:

Thanks for the help - you learn something new everyday.... :)

H

[quote name='Gareth Hughes' post='1199426' date='Apr 14 2011, 02:16 PM']FWIW - I remember reading something (don't ask me where) a while back about speakon connectors on Markbass heads being a little prone to bad connections. As the owner of an LMK and previously an F500 I totally agree. Seeing as the sockets can accept jack or speakon I just use jacks, but it's still frustrating.[/quote]

Check you're using NL2 plugs and not NL4's... :)