Why become a member? ×

More love for the J-Retro

Heathy

After reading some of the other threads about the John East J-Retro I decided to get one for my Jazz bass. The results are amazing. It even sounds significantly better than it did before in passive mode!

I now have everything I could possibly need in one bass. I'm a very happy boy.

[quote name='Heathy' post='1198512' date='Apr 13 2011, 06:37 PM']After reading some of the other threads about the John East J-Retro I decided to get one for my Jazz bass. The results are amazing. It even sounds significantly better than it did before in passive mode!

I now have everything I could possibly need in one bass. I'm a very happy boy.[/quote]

welcome to the club! :)

I first tried the MMSR preamp: fantastic
then the J-Retro. What you said.
I am currently waiting for the mailman to bring me a P-retro as well! :)

[quote name='mcnach' post='1198519' date='Apr 13 2011, 06:41 PM']welcome to the club! :)

I first tried the MMSR preamp: fantastic
then the J-Retro. What you said.
I am currently waiting for the mailman to bring me a P-retro as well! :)[/quote]

i am slowly going all East - P retro next then I want a 4 knob deluxe for my $$. Wont ever miss the chance to promote John East's products.

• 1 month later...

Speaking of John East and P-Retros, I posted this at the 'dusty end' of the forum last night and would love to hear any opinions and advice please - [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=135808"]topic[/url] :)

Edit: sorry to hijack your thread Healthy.

Edited by Sawtooth

[quote name='cycrowave' post='1231372' date='May 14 2011, 08:47 PM']tempted to hotrod my westone thunder with a u retro now...[/quote]

Well worth doing. I put a P-Retro in my Washburn Scavenger - 'similar' to a Westone Thunder - together with a Kent Armstrong pup, and the improvement was beyond belief. Given the build quality and playability of the Scavenger (and so applicable to the Thunder, too), I now have an instrument as good as anything I have played.

I'm thinking about modding my workhorse bass (Fender MIM Reggie Hamilton sig.) and have been thinking about a J-Retro and some Nordstrand pickups. Which would be most worthwhile to change first? I won't be able to afford both for quite a while....

[quote name='Hector' post='1231684' date='May 15 2011, 10:01 AM']I'm thinking about modding my workhorse bass (Fender MIM Reggie Hamilton sig.) and have been thinking about a J-Retro and some Nordstrand pickups. Which would be most worthwhile to change first? I won't be able to afford both for quite a while....[/quote]Pickups without doubt...

Guest McBass

I have the j retro 01 deluxe in my American Jazz Deluxe 60th Anniversary,i just sent an e mail to John asking about one for my 2010 Deluxe...they are that good !

If anyone wants one - or another one - I have a J-retro FS in near-mint condition [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=133872&pid=1231696&st=0&#entry1231696"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...p;#entry1231696[/url]

Sorry it's slightly off topic but I am an Arthur Daley type chancer :)

Edited by Clarky

• 1 month later...
Guest McBass

I got the pre amp for the 2010 ash American Deluxe 5, it sounds even better now.So warm with total control over my tone.i put some new HiBeams on the bass last night and it sounded immense. :)