Why become a member? ×

Mid 80's Tokai Jazz Bass Fretless

oldslapper

Posting this for a friend (also a local Luthier).

The bass came into his possession a while ago (12 months or so), from a customer.

Her story was that she had gigged the bass for many years, but due to an accident was unable to play again.

The bass was stored in a case in her loft for 12 years or so. She got it down from said attic and opened the case and found that the foam lining had stuck to the body.
Derek bought it off her with the foam still stuck to the bass.
So, after removing the foam, the body was left with patches on it where the foam had been.

The Tokai logo has either faded, or been removed, either way you can still see the outline, so it certainly hasn't been sanded off.
From researching the serial number, it looks like it is from 1984-5, yes there is a sticker on the back of the neck with 85 on it, so perhaps there's the clue?

I've put it through it's paces and it sounds and plays like a fretless jazz should. Thump from the neck pup, growl from the rear, nice and smooth with both, it's a nice solid Japanese Tokai with lots of "mojo" I believe the marketing expression is on here.
Yes I would buy it, but I have no money.

Anyway, it has some nicks on the top off the headstock, and it could do with a clean up. But Derek would do a full set up on it if you bought it.
Will come with a cheap but new functional gig bag.
Bass is located in North Dorset and you are welcome to go visit Derek to play it. Or will be sent well parcelled up.

£300 + p&p, no offers sorry.

John

Edited by oldslapper

[quote name='LukeFRC' post='1197604' date='Apr 12 2011, 11:17 PM']the 85 sticker is the model number - the higher the number the better the bass. This looks pretty nice and at a great price too, wont be around for long![/quote]

Thanks Luke. :)

[url="http://www.tokairegistry.com/images/catalogs/volume543.jpg"]http://www.tokairegistry.com/images/catalogs/volume543.jpg[/url]

1982 catalogue

so originally twice the price of the cheap ones.... nice bass
a local guitar shop has a fretted one in of some description at the mo, outplays everyother jazz in there, makes the roadworn jazz seem laughable in comparison. If i could play fretless i would jump on this

Edited by LukeFRC

[quote name='Stacker' post='1201337' date='Apr 15 2011, 11:33 PM']looks like the 'luthier' doesnt have say via the OP. Nothing via PM either. ilm out of this.[/quote]
Just got back from short holiday sorry to have kept you waiting for such a long time mate, 24 hours to get a reply to a p.m. is outrageous!

[quote name='Stacker' post='1202315' date='Apr 17 2011, 01:56 AM']Some of us have GAS, mate. Just went and bought something else in your absence but if your man can give us the skinny on those blotches..............[/quote]
That's a good idea to be honest. I'll ask Derek to give an assessment on what would help with the blotches and post here.

Derek has messaged me the following with regards the foam markings on the bass:

"[i]the foam marks are not going to come out easily I did try to polish out one of the least bad ones and although the lacquer came up shiny there were a myriad of tiny pinprick holes where the foam has kind of eaten into the finish. I've seen similar problems with old cellulose finished necks left in a guitar stand with a soft foam holder.
my only real solution would be to rub it down as far as possible without losing the sunburst and respraying it, this would be quite a mission with many coats required and you'd probably lose the aged appeal of it and would I do the neck as well and what about the headstock?
I think my overall advice to anybody who maybe interested would be to leave as is[/i]"

I'm sure there will be some here who will have other opinions/advice regarding the markings, feel free to post any first hand experience you have had of dealing with this sort of issue.

However, I trust Derek with all my guitars and double basses and I will leave it at that.

Derek is happy to speak directly to anyone interested. PM me for his number please.

John

[quote name='kbass44' post='1204565' date='Apr 19 2011, 11:17 AM']Old Slapper,

I tell you what I will give you a Newton Special, Powell Deluxe, and Swartwood Extreme plus an HTC charger. What do you say?[/quote]

Keep the Powell, but I'll have yours and Newtons'...oh and the charger!...a deal? :)

These 80s Tokais are wonderful instruments, often streets ahead of the Fenders of the same era. I am heartily jealous of whoever ends up with this one, foam marks or no foam marks.

[quote name='kbass44' post='1204565' date='Apr 19 2011, 11:17 AM']a Newton Special, Powell Deluxe, and Swartwood Extreme[/quote]
Those are wrestling moves, aren't they..?

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='alyctes' post='1217418' date='May 2 2011, 12:17 PM']I wish I could justify spending the money, this looks like a sweet machine.

Anyhow, you might want to edit the thread title for the new price?[/quote]

Indeed, thanks for pointing that out.

John