Why become a member? ×

Budget Monitors for Studio Advice please

Dropzone

Hi Gang

I am trying to set up a home studio. I have a desk, a computer, leads etc, but having tried some PC speakers, I realise I need to splash out on some reasonable monitors. Cash is a bit tight so looking to spend no more than £200 on something active. What would you guys recommend and what should I really stay away from.

I will be recording metal and middle of the road rock and accoustic stuff.

Many thanks in advance for your advice.

Thanks

Mike

Yamaha I'd certainly agree with; if you're in a comparatively small room with no acoustic treatment IMO there's no point in going for bigger than 6" drivers, so Yam's HS50s would be a good start. I'm also very partial to Samson Rubicons and I had a pair of ESI nEar 05s which were very good for near-field monitoring in small rooms (they 'lost it' a bit when I moved my home studio from tiny bedroom to bigger living room, though).

I'm currently using a pair of HHB Circle 5As, which I LOVE; too big for small/untreated rooms IMO and a little bit hen's teeth these days, but if you see a pair of Circle 3As grab 'em...

[quote name='Dropzone' post='1191716' date='Apr 7 2011, 01:47 PM']I have heard good things about the Yamaha's which are looking favourite at the moment.

Will be in a big shed (6m x 4m) that will have damping stuff nailed to it but that is about it[/quote]

That's a decent size, so perhaps look more at 6" than 5" drivers, and possibly even up to 8" (which the Yamaha HS80Ms and the Circle 5As are). When you say 'damping materials', are you talking about shaped foam, carpet, RockWool, loft insulation or what? There's a BIG difference in their effect on the acoustics of a room, with some being next to useless...oh, and don't skimp on speaker stands either, fifty quid spent on a pair of high-mass/sand-fillable stands will almost always be a bigger improvement than spending an extra fifty quid on the monitors which you then just put wherever they'll fit on the desk.

Have yet to look at the damping. Once I have the monitors and the room set out, that will be my next task.

I am not sure which way I will go, but I know it will be cost related so as always I will be looking for best bang per buck ;-)

I will check out the 50s and 80s and see which meets my needs. Many thnaks

Mike

[quote name='Dropzone' post='1191883' date='Apr 7 2011, 04:08 PM']Have yet to look at the damping. Once I have the monitors and the room set out, that will be my next task.

I am not sure which way I will go, but I know it will be cost related so as always I will be looking for best bang per buck ;-)[/quote]

I know the feeling :) a good, cost-effective and practical way of bass trapping (as long as you've got access to some form of load-lugging transport) is to source a halfway-decent sofa off of freecycle, cheap off eBay or whatever and just place it across the opposite end of the room from your monitors. In your case I reckon you'd be best with the monitors across one 4m end of the room and hence the sofa across the other; big soft furnishings will very rarely damage room acoustics and usually make a very effective first step for taming bass resonances.

Whereabouts in the world are you, out of interest? Currently moving on a studio desk (as in workstation, not mixing desk) and a pair of speaker stands which might be useful if you haven't sorted them already...

[quote name='Dropzone' post='1191883' date='Apr 7 2011, 04:08 PM']Have yet to look at the damping. Once I have the monitors and the room set out, that will be my next task.[/quote]
I've never tried it but have read that old quilts (or new if you can afford it :) ) can be very good for damping. Easy to move around as well while experimenting for the best results.

I am on the South Coast between Brighton and Portsmouth.

May well be interested in the stands. I have an Alesis multimix desk so no need there.

I have heard quilts are good as well and probably cheaper to buy new from Tesco's than second hand ;-)

Like the idea of a sofa and was going to put one in the room anyway.

Many thanks

Mike

I've got a set of Yamaha HS-80s which I bought second-hand off here. Great active monitors and I use them all the time, in fact I've mixed and mastered my bands latest album on them in conjunction with using a set of Beyerdynamic DT-880 headphones. So a big thumbs up from me for the Yamahas.

I've also just splashed out on a Focusrite Saffire Pro24 DSP which is an double pre-amp with several monitoring options built in for mixing and mastering with headphones.

I've got a set of M-Audio BX8a Deluxe which I'm pretty pleased with, particularly when they're cranked a bit. Can't compare them with anything except a set of KRK VXT6s which understandably blows them out of the water but they're going on 700 quid. If nothing comes off on here try get a bargainous set of KRK/Yamaha/M-Audio/similar on the bay.

I have heard good things about the KRKs but they are heavy on the price.

Don't want to spend bucket loads as I may be rubbish at recording. I will probably do my usual thing of waste loads of money on cheap stuff and then decide I need to spend on more expensive stuff. Still, it keeps me happy ;-)

[quote name='Dropzone' post='1196564' date='Apr 12 2011, 09:54 AM']I have heard good things about the KRKs but they are heavy on the price.

Don't want to spend bucket loads as I may be rubbish at recording. I will probably do my usual thing of waste loads of money on cheap stuff and then decide I need to spend on more expensive stuff. Still, it keeps me happy ;-)[/quote]

very very good, but so expensive.. used them many times.. in someone else's studio ;-)

[quote name='Monckyman' post='1196927' date='Apr 12 2011, 03:16 PM']Tannoy reveal actives.
[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ACTIVE-STUDIO-MONITORS-TANNOY-REVEAL-6D-PHONOS-JACKS-/110673329246?pt=UK_ConElec_SpeakersPASystems_RL&hash=item19c4a4fc5e#ht_7387wt_888"]HERE[/url][/quote]

They are well above my current budget. Look the business though!!!!

[quote name='s1ater' post='1196860' date='Apr 12 2011, 02:36 PM']alesis monitor 1 mkii's :)[/quote]

Seen a lot of good and bad reviews on these, looks like you are either a big fan or a big hater. Also, I've found that the Behringer Truth monitors are generally hated by most.

[quote name='Dropzone' post='1197017' date='Apr 12 2011, 04:50 PM']They are well above my current budget. Look the business though!!!![/quote]

I used them when I was at uni, I didn't like them though. No apparent reason that I could put my finger on mind...

These might look small but they are very loud:

[url="http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?q=krk&hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox-a&hs=1Dh&rls=org.mozilla:en-US%3a%6ffficial&prmd=ivns&biw=1173&bih=684&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=482086487615102634&sa=X&ei=irKlTfKEJY3F8QOptMS5Dw&ved=0CGgQ8wIwAQ#"]http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?q...ed=0CGgQ8wIwAQ#[/url]

The quality is really there so the extra expense is a good investment - and if you're ever in a position to invest in one of these you'll add a load of bass to your system:

[url="http://www.krksys.com/krk-subwoofers/10s.html"]http://www.krksys.com/krk-subwoofers/10s.html[/url]

These might be worth a look too:

[url="http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?q=m-audio+studio+monitors&hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US%3a%6ffficial&biw=1173&bih=684&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=5091061099325111496&sa=X&ei=xbOlTduaCo_A8QOWl7S5Dw&ved=0CFsQ8wIwAQ#"]http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?q...ed=0CFsQ8wIwAQ#[/url]

Though I'd recommend what ever your budget going and listening to stuff before you buy it - these guys on Denmark Street are very helpful and I'm sure would at least try and match any legitimate price online:

[url="http://www.londonproaudio.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=22&osCsid=be7033429454e3e2b35d4a93e3ef1252"]http://www.londonproaudio.com/catalog/inde...35d4a93e3ef1252[/url]

Hope that helps

Mike