Why become a member? ×

Moving to Bristol/Bath

py0fgj

Hey all.

Not sure that this is in the right place but here goes anyway. I'm in the process of moving to Bath/Bristol from London and wondered what the music scene was like and whether it's easy to meet people to jam with? I have a 9-5 and so I would like to just arse around with some friendly types playing blues/rock/funk/jazz before getting zoidered up.

I haven't been in a band for ages as have been studying for professional qualifications since I came to London, but I went to Uni in Bath and so know it fairly well. Please ease my mind about moving away from the (admittedly grubby) bright lights. Anyone experienced this kind of thing?

Waddya reckon?

Fred

[quote name='Shockwave' post='135779' date='Feb 7 2008, 02:34 PM']Jazz and funk is pretty few and far between[/quote]
Yeah, don't bother trying to interest anyone in fusion. I was in a fusion 3-piece for a while, but in the end we gave up cos we couldn't find anywhere to gig. We were too loud for jazz venues and too jazzy for pubs. The only place we ever really gigged frequently was the Prom, which is sh*t. I tried to form a jazz/funk band a while back but just couldn't find any interested musos.

[quote name='BassBod' post='135846' date='Feb 7 2008, 04:20 PM']So glad to see someone else hates the Prom. That's made my day.[/quote]

*cough* :)

There's LOADS of blues jams around though. They do vary in quality quite a bit so it's best to check a venue out first.

[quote name='jay249' post='136103' date='Feb 7 2008, 11:00 PM']...Only you have to go all the way to Midsomer Norton..![/quote]
You have a good point. It's only down the road though. Mind you I haven't been there for ages - it might be rubbish now, you might not pay to play in Bris and Bath might not be so snobby. Things do change...

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='136105' date='Feb 7 2008, 10:00 PM']I'm moved to Bristol, someone introduced me to the 'Choke' forum, thats where I hooked up with the scene, by finding the metallers who turn up there and say they despise the place. Also Shockwave and his horrible pointy basses is an extremely popular and much respected forum member.[/quote]
I try to sign up for that but my account never got approved by an admin! :)

I used to work occasionally in Bristol and Bath, and really enjoyed it (although getting through Bath by car can sometimes be as bad as London).

The scene seemed pretty healthy to me, and much more diverse than other places. People that live there will know much more than me, but to the casual observer it seems like a great place to be a muso.

[quote name='queenofthedepths' post='136119' date='Feb 7 2008, 10:24 PM']I try to sign up for that but my account never got approved by an admin! :)[/quote]

There's also www.voodoojunkie.com. I am a member of choke but tend to prefer VJ, its a bit less busy but a bit less snobby. Not by much, mind.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='136105' date='Feb 7 2008, 10:00 PM']I'm moved to Bristol, someone introduced me to the 'Choke' forum, thats where I hooked up with the scene, by finding the metallers who turn up there and say they despise the place. Also Shockwave and his horrible pointy basses is an extremely popular and much respected forum member.[/quote]

Your kidding right?

I am universally HATED on there, Apart from the people who have met me in real life and realised i am not such a bad guy!

[quote name='Wil' post='136145' date='Feb 7 2008, 10:54 PM']There's also www.voodoojunkie.com. I am a member of choke but tend to prefer VJ, its a bit less busy but a bit less snobby. Not by much, mind.[/quote]

Oh, I thought they were the same thing, since voodoojunkie's what I found when I googled "Choke forum" - I haven't tried signing up for Choke!

[quote name='Shockwave' post='136149' date='Feb 7 2008, 11:01 PM']Your kidding right?

I am universally HATED on there, Apart from the people who have met me in real life and realised i am not such a bad guy![/quote]

I'd hazard a guess that he is being dry :)

I'm sure they don't HATE you on TTYC though Rob - I think they just enjoy taking the piss because you don't drink weak lemon drink and own rare vinyl :huh:

[quote name='queenofthedepths' post='136153' date='Feb 7 2008, 11:05 PM']Oh, I thought they were the same thing, since voodoojunkie's what I found when I googled "Choke forum" - I haven't tried signing up for Choke![/quote]

The voodoojunkie Wiki has the following to say about Choke:

[quote]Choke is a magazine.

Choke has an internet forum. Choke Forum∞

The Choke forum is the anti-VJ.

Several users claim to have succesfully bridged the gap between VJ and Choke, but they are usually suspected to be witches.

Choke users usually prefer music produced by bands that have names with 9 or more words in them. The more obscure the band, the higher credibility this gets them within the Choke inner circle. They score extra points if the music was published prior to 1980.

Choke also runs a regular music night at a Bristol venue. To recreate the music at such an event, you are advised to strap on a bass guitar, snare drum and a cymbal, and throw yourself down a staircase.

Choke is available on Computers

CHOKE IS NOT INTO METAL AND IS NOT YOUR FRIEND[/quote]

But there are some sound people on there, shockwave and JoeGarcia for example! Some chokers also post on VoodooJunkie, to muddy things.

Edited by Wil

[quote name='Wil' post='136159' date='Feb 7 2008, 11:08 PM']The voodoojunkie Wiki has the following to say about Choke:

But there are some sound people on there, shockwave and JoeGarcia for example! Some chokers also post on VoodooJunkie, to muddy things.[/quote]

I prefer choke just becauses it's busier, bth neither have been particulary freindly to metallers!

[quote name='Shockwave' post='136168' date='Feb 7 2008, 11:19 PM']I prefer choke just becauses it's busier, bth neither have been particulary freindly to metallers![/quote]

VJ is plenty friendly to metallers :) there's loads of support for Shadowlaw, Burning Skies, Mea Culpa etc, plus I think most of the posters who actually post these days listen to metal, among other things...

We [i]are[/i] prone to take the piss, however. Just a touch.

VJ still hasn't approved my sign up. All I wanted was to hassle people selling basses and make fun of my guitarist selling all his gear and having to play with my crappy stuff.

Edit: Main thing I meant to say to do with topic is pm and beer must be the plan.

Edited by Mr. Foxen