Why become a member? ×

who was the bass player David Bowie 2002 Heathen Tour

iconic

I have been fiddling with this tune, hence the interest...

2002 Heathen Tour:- this guy plays a Stingray on some vids I have seen for Ashes To Ashes, but here he is slapping the crap out of this Fender J and so far up the neck compared to how I try and play...good player though, so maybe I should try it further up!

......who is he?

[quote name='iconic' post='1189404' date='Apr 5 2011, 06:03 PM']I have been fiddling with this tune, hence the interest...

2002 Heathen Tour:- this guy plays a Stingray on some vids I have seen for Ashes To Ashes, but here he is slapping the crap out of this Fender J and so far up the neck compared to how I try and play...good player though, so maybe I should try it further up!

......who is he?[/quote]

A chap called Mark Plati I think.

I'm no slapping expert but I have to slap my J up high as well or it makes me sound more rubbish than I am at it (if that's at all possible!) - perhaps a JB quirk? :)

Edited by icastle

[quote name='Heathy' post='1189627' date='Apr 5 2011, 08:30 PM']....What's going on here? Gail Ann Dorsey (regular bass player at that time) is playing rhythm guitar....[/quote]
He's one of the guitarists. They always used to swap around for that number. Don't know why. [s]Maybe GAD doesn't slap?[/s]

Edit: Cross out silly suggestion!

Edited by chris_b

[quote name='chris_b' post='1189635' date='Apr 5 2011, 08:36 PM']He's one of the guitarists. They always used to swap around for that number. Don't know why. Maybe GAD doesn't slap?[/quote]

Indeed. She is pretty capable but never does this number as far as I know.
It is a pretty basic part but what works in the confines of the line-up works.

[quote name='JTUK' post='1189716' date='Apr 5 2011, 09:17 PM']....Indeed. She is pretty capable but never does this number as far as I know....[/quote]
Gail Ann Dorsey [b]can[/b] slap and here is a quote from one of Bowie's tour managers:

"Mark was DB’s producer and MD for a while. I guess he pulled rank whenever he felt something needed his style. He is a lot grungier than Gail. She is much more fluid".

[quote name='Grant' post='1189672' date='Apr 5 2011, 08:53 PM']....Tell you what - hope I look as good as Bowie does when I get to - what is he? 60 something?....[/quote]
Unfortunately looks aren't everything! He had emergency heart bypass surgery a couple of years ago and hasn’t toured since.

[quote name='iconic' post='1190063' date='Apr 6 2011, 10:27 AM']wow, didn't know that![/quote]

+1. I saw him on that 2004 tour - front row seats, have never been deafened by so many male fans shrieking at a show before or since - and had no idea what happened a few months later. :)

I asked Gale Ann Dorsey on her facebook page about this. If you google vids of this song she very rarely plays it. She said it's because, on that tour, she liked playing his stratocaster and he liked playing slap bass for one song a set (usually he played rhythm guitar - and she's not really into slap). Tasty Geddy Jazz he's playing there by the way.