Why become a member? ×

What to get, £500 budget

Ross

Well, I fancy an upgrade from my fender rumble combo, seeing as I have properly gotten back into playing, I'm not happy with my current sound.

Thinking I want something with more pop, a 4x10 setup maybe? but I'm not too sure what will be best bang for buck in my price range so I figured the good men and women of basschat might be able to give me some delicious insight into what is hot nowadays.
So, what do you reckon folks?

Edited by Ross

take a look in the for sale section you can get a decent set up for around £500.i bought my peavey max450 off here and use it every week.plus lots of folk are taking the light weight rout so if you dont mind the weight of an old 410 you could get yourself a bargin

just had a quick look and

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=129470"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=129470[/url]

Edited by bobbytodd

For £400 you could buy a new Gallien Krueger MB200 and an Ashdown MAG410 cab. That'd be plenty for most gigs. For larger ones, get a split speakon cable and you can get another cab.

The head's only 200w (into 4Ohm) but it's incredibly loud for it and you'll get way more volume from the speakers than you should if you're using a 4x10 or 2 4x10s. :)

2nd hand there'll be a lot more stuff in your budget, you'll be limited to what you can find though. As a hardcore GK lover (don't ask what those stains are on my amp), my knowledge a bit limited on what's out there for that price. :)

There are a couple of Ashdown rigs, Ampeg rigs, and a Trace Elliot rig on here for the moment, within your budget. All brands are tried & tested by many.

I`d also look at Hartke gear as well, very versatile, and again you should find something within your budget.

Edited by Lozz196

I'd look at used gear on BC, obviously you'll get a lot more for your money than new and you don't take a great hit in depreciation if you further upgrade.

It is a shameless plug but I may well have a Tech Soundsystems 2x12 cab for sale. It's actually the cab section of a combo without the amp in so you can fit a 2U amp into the inbuilt rack section at the top. In design it is the same as the Schroeder cabs (Tech did it before Schroeder I believe), where one of the 12's is on an angled baffle so that it looks like a 1x12 from the front. If you are interested (it'd leave you £300 to buy an amp) give me a shout and I'll get pics. :)

My current rig is a Peavey Tour 450, purchased from this very website for £200 almost new, and Warwick 410 cab ,used, from ebay for £150. Throw in the Fender Mex P bass I got for £170 a few years back and thats not far off £500!!! Peavey stuff isn`t the most exciting, but it gets the job done, and is loud!! The Warwick cab is great sounding, and not TOO heavy for a standard 4 x 10. Definitely go used route, new stuff at this price point loses value so fast.

A shameless plug here - I am selling a complete, ready to gig, top quality Trace Elliot rig and have just dropped by price almost suicidally - details:

AH300-12, with cover and kettle lead - [s]£250[/s] [color="#FF0000"]£200[/color]
1153T, with cover and cable - [s]£150[/s] [color="#FF0000"]£120[/color]
2013H, with cover and cable - [s]£150[/s] [color="#FF0000"]£120[/color]
1818 - [s]£120[/s] [color="#FF0000"]£100[/color]
Footswitch - [s]£50[/s] [color="#FF0000"]£40[/color]

Head + 1153 +2013 +footswitch + cables etc [s]£550[/s] [color="#FF0000"]£450[/color]
Head + (1153 or 2013) + 1818 + cables etc + footswitch [s]£520[/s] [color="#FF0000"]£420[/color]
Remove footswitch less £40.

Whole lot [s]£600. [/s] [color="#FF0000"]£500[/color]

AND I'll deliver it ALL to Swindon for the cost of the fuel...

Edited by Paul S

Cheers for the offers and the insight into second hand gear everyone
But before I buy anything I need to firstly get the ok from my mate with the van in Plymouth when I go back down, and then find someone selling a suitable rig a bit closer to there (where my current digs are you see).
Don't think he'll fancy the 330 mile round trip to pick up a rig if I'm brutaly honest else I'd be on that Trace elliot stack like a shot :)

If it's still about by the time I find out when I'll be back down there I'd be inclined to say yes.
Don't hold out or anything if you find a buyer in the meantime, but if I find out all the details etc. within the next couple of weeks i'll pm you, and if it all fits into place, you may very well have a sale :)

Edited by Ross