Why become a member? ×

Smooth-feeling, bright-sounding strings...

solo4652

Hi all,

On my G&L L2000, I currently have Status half-wounds. I've got very used to their smooth feel to the extent that I now struggle to cope with roundwounds. Given that the G&L tone is so meaty anyway, I'm thinking about trying some brighter sounding strings, but I'm now very used to smooth-feeling strings. So, suggestions please for smooth-feeling, bright-sounding strings.

Steve

[quote name='solo4652' post='1185856' date='Apr 2 2011, 02:53 PM']Hi all,

On my G&L L2000, I currently have Status half-wounds. I've got very used to their smooth feel to the extent that I now struggle to cope with roundwounds. Given that the G&L tone is so meaty anyway, I'm thinking about trying some brighter sounding strings, but I'm now very used to smooth-feeling strings. So, suggestions please for smooth-feeling, bright-sounding strings.

Steve[/quote]

How bright were the halfwounds?
I bought a set but they sounded dull just like flats... except for the G string which was niticeable brighter, almost in roundwound territory! Not sure whether I got a bad set... :)

If you want something bright and smooth... maybe you'll like the Rotosound Nexus series. They're black coated roundwounds, they feel quite smooth because of the coating but they're bright and remain bright forever... ok, that's a slight exaggeration, forever minus two weeks :)

[quote name='mcnach' post='1186179' date='Apr 2 2011, 08:39 PM']How bright were the halfwounds?
I bought a set but they sounded dull just like flats... except for the G string which was niticeable brighter, almost in roundwound territory! Not sure whether I got a bad set... :)[/quote]

Hmm, not sure. I bought some Status flatwounds recently and only the D and G strings were useable. The other 2 were horribly dead sounding.

An example of nice bright smooth flatwounds would be La Bella 'Deep Talking Bass' strings.

Hmmmm. I've been reading reviews about coated strings. All opinions represented!

I don't use a pick, so maybe the disintegrating-covering issue won't apply to me. That said, are there any smooth-feeling, bright-sounding non-coated strings?

Steve

Hi Buddy,

I had always stuck to D'Addario 40-100's amaizingly Bright and they stay bright. Another member (Funkgod) introduced me to them along with the G&L L2000.

I tried the coated Nexus strings and paid through the roof and didn't like them. I took them off 2 weeks later. If you want to try them just Message me your details and will send FREE when I return off my Holiday.

Now on a budget try any of the Newstrings range as they are a great string and value for money - See link in my Signiture

Cheers.

J.

[quote name='BIG.J' post='1187482' date='Apr 4 2011, 10:24 AM']Hi Buddy,

I had always stuck to D'Addario 40-100's amaizingly Bright and they stay bright. Another member (Funkgod) introduced me to them along with the G&L L2000.

I tried the coated Nexus strings and paid through the roof and didn't like them. I took them off 2 weeks later. If you want to try them just Message me your details and will send FREE when I return off my Holiday.

Now on a budget try any of the Newstrings range as they are a great string and value for money - See link in my Signiture

Cheers.

J.[/quote]

How kind you are, sir! I'll send you my address via PM.

Steve