Why become a member? ×

Strings to sound like an upright

4 Strings

I need to sound like an upright but have (and can only really play) an electric.

I have a Precision and a Jazz Deluxe, I have flats on the Precision and it is ok, but rather flat sounding and thuddy, doesn't have that resonance and tone of an upright bass.

Any recommendation for some strings that would help? I'm assuming some type of flat wound, but not necessarily the case.

Thanks

Only an upright will sound like an upright. Even an EUB is only an approximation of the DB sound.

If you're playing fretless you can roll off the tone and play over the neck, other than that there's little else you can do. The flats you have fitted will work in your favour though so that's a good starting point.

Other options are to buy a Kala U-bass or Ashbory bass is EUB or DB isn't your thing, they get quite close.

[quote name='derrenleepoole' post='1184765' date='Apr 1 2011, 02:25 PM']Or, you could buy a Rob Allen Mouse 30 bass, which is very close sounding *goes all starry eyed*[/quote]
A set of strings is cheaper

About 100 times cheaper :)

[quote name='4 Strings' post='1184730' date='Apr 1 2011, 02:03 PM']I need to sound like an upright but have (and can only really play) an electric.

I have a Precision and a Jazz Deluxe, I have flats on the Precision and it is ok, but rather flat sounding and thuddy, doesn't have that resonance and tone of an upright bass.

Any recommendation for some strings that would help? I'm assuming some type of flat wound, but not necessarily the case.

Thanks[/quote]

Try tape wounds

[quote name='Clarky' post='1184739' date='Apr 1 2011, 02:10 PM']+1 to the above but - if you are sticking with a P bass - Rotosound Tru Bass black nylon strings come about as close as you will get[/quote]

+1 for the TruBass.

It's not a DB, of course, but it will produce a reasonable sound. And they look cool :)

Here's my white Sue Ryder P-bass fretless with the Tru Bass strings

Wow, quickest service yet. Asked this question yesterday after lunch, got the advice from you guys I needed, ordered from Strings Direct and they arrived today and are now on my bass! Thanks to all concerned.

Its a bit late for me to really try with an amp but they're on and have a bit more sustain and tone than the dull old flats I took off. I'll report back when I've had a blow.

• 3 weeks later...

Right, done a gig now, surely the only real way to test things.

Very nice, great improvement, more than I expected. I think the old strings were Fender (green silk?) and these have way more life and tone. The feel took a little getting used to but I now like it. Thought they were sticky to start with and unhappy but now they seem silky.

I know we don't want lots of sustain with flats but these run for a bit to give tone, just like the real thing (an upright) but the definition was the real ear opener. I play in a Motown tribute and I know a thick 'brown' tone is required to match the sound of our hero, it's really hard live. Having tried the dullest flats I could find it worked but, to be honest, wasn't very enjoyable and muddy and slow and really weren't right for an upright sound in Jimmy Mack, for example. The TruBass strings encouraged a bit of creativity and ad lib - not what I was paid to do! - as things just seemed more musical and melodic with the improved definition and dynamic.

They sound more like an upright, but not really like an upright, and they sound much better than what I had before. I am now enjoying flats more.

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='1184756' date='Apr 1 2011, 02:18 PM']Closest I've heard a standard BG come to a DB sound was Howard the Bass Doc, soloing a bridge Jazz pickup, tone rolled off, flatwounds, plucked over the fretboard... around the 12th fret, I think. Close-ish... but no real cigar, obviously.[/quote]
^^^ this wot him sed hear

The closest I ever got was a fretless Godin Acoustibass (precursor to the A4) strung with flats. It's a thinline semi-acoustic but has tuned metal rods mounted to the bridge inside the body cut to vibrate in sympathy with the strings and make the whole thing sound bigger. It works too.

Nightmare to play on a strap though, worst neck dive I've ever come across.

I have a set of trubass on one of my basses.......they're great. BUT amazingly one of these does the double bass thing even better [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=131681"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=131681[/url] had a google for videos and this is probably the best [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UotbyS_sU3E&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UotbyS_sU3E...feature=related[/url]

The only problem is they just look so teenie weenie.

Edited by gjones

[quote name='4 Strings' post='1205750' date='Apr 20 2011, 12:57 PM']Great idea, £1200 though.[/quote]

Really? I got mine for £400 although it was the bass they'd used at the music expos in 1994 when they launched it so I suppose it was a bit "used", surely the A4 isn't 1200GBP now is it?

Holy f*** it is. Well, I wouldn't pay that for a purely studio bass. Wow.

I have tried a set of Rotosound TruBass strings in one of my P-bass fretless. Like I said before, it's not like a double bass but it has a certain character that reminds you of one.

I decided to try other tapewounds, as the TruBass were my first ones. So now I put a set of D'Addario tapewounds (ETB92, 50-65-85-105). I was curious, and I liked the idea of having a thinner gauge closer to what I normally play.

I installed them today, and I'm really liking them. But they're rather different to the TruBass strings.

These ones sound more "metallic" and have a lot more sustain. They're not as "doublebassy", although they are closer than standard flats, for sure. I think I'm going to stick to these ones for now. I find them easier to play (gauge/tension), and are halfway between the extra thump of the TruBass and standard flats (well, if there's such a thing!). These can be substantially brighter than TruBass, without the "plasticky" overtones when leaving the tone control wide open, but warm up nicely when closing the tone control. They have a lot more "mwah" too. But that can be partially because I haven't touched the trussrod and the action that was set high-ish with TruBass strings is now a bit lower, which helps the "mwahness".

I think for double-bass imitations... TruBass still wins. But the D'Addario ones still do a good impersonation and are more versatile, and if you were going to use a mute that would take care of the extra sustain etc...

Edited by mcnach

[quote name='gjones' post='1205832' date='Apr 20 2011, 01:54 PM'].com/watch?v=UotbyS_sU3E&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UotbyS_sU3E...feature=related[/url]

The only problem is they just look so teenie weenie.[/quote]

Yes, bit of a problem. £450, bit of a lump to play for such a little guitar! Worth a thought, though, as they sound great.