Why become a member? ×

Frets on a Double Bass?

lowdown

[quote name='Doddy' post='1182246' date='Mar 30 2011, 02:16 PM']Is that from Idiot....sorry Expert ( :) ) Village by any chance?[/quote]

Yep sure is - Check out walking Bop line in E major, Priceless. :)

Garry

Edited by lowdown

[quote name='Doddy' post='1182263' date='Mar 30 2011, 02:31 PM']Oh my god.

He's so bad,even his intonation has turned off.[/quote]

It's parked in a layby up near Stoke somewhere...

Does make you wonder how the 'expert' criteria is applied on that site though... :)

This one always makes me cringe. I don't know how the guy manages to get so much fret buzz and so many uneven notes. There's even blatent mistakes left in etc which is pretty bad for a youtube video from "Expert" village. It gets really bad around 1:40.

To be fair, from some other videos I've seen of him, he's a pretty competent pianist, though that doesn't explain why he's attempting to do the bass videos. Edited by ThomBassmonkey

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' post='1182289' date='Mar 30 2011, 02:44 PM']Christ, I don't think I've ever seen drums being played that badly. :)[/quote]

I like the bit at about 0:30s where he manages to wedge his stick in between the toms and gets it stuck... :)

Does anyone know what he does actually play?
I've worked out that it's certainly not drums, electric bass or upright bass so far...

[quote name='icastle' post='1182326' date='Mar 30 2011, 03:14 PM']I like the bit at about 0:30s where he manages to wedge his stick in between the toms and gets it stuck... :)

Does anyone know what he does actually play?
I've worked out that it's certainly not drums, electric bass or upright bass so far...[/quote]

He's an 'expert'...that's all.

[quote name='lowdown' post='1182233' date='Mar 30 2011, 02:09 PM']This guy seems to think he has frets on His Double Bass,
And he gives you a free lesson on how to find those two hidden frets. [In Gb]

Garry[/quote]

So he uses the word ftrets when he means positions or something - hardly the end of the world.
Hands up who has never referred to a fret position when playing a fretless bass.

Personally I get annoyed with people on here who talk about a maple/rosewood/ebony neck, when they actually mean the fretboard or fingerboard, but I don't ridicule them for it.

However to say that the first position is halfway between the second 'Fret' and the open string is wrong.

[quote name='Count Bassy' post='1182349' date='Mar 30 2011, 03:27 PM']So he uses the word ftrets when he means positions or something - hardly the end of the world.
Hands up who has never referred to a fret position when playing a fretless bass.[/quote]

Maybe not normally,but the fact that this is part of an 'educational' series of videos makes it a slightly bigger deal.
However the fact that his intonation and technique is virtually non existent is far worse.

It's a good job he can groove on the drums........Oh wait :)

[quote name='Fat Rich' post='1182350' date='Mar 30 2011, 03:27 PM']I've seen some junk by Expertvillage but these clips take the biscuit.

That hip hop drumming one is hilarious![/quote]
The guy is amazing! The Hip Hop drums is fantastic! :)

Come on, he's got to be a satirist, surely? Not many people can come across that creepy and incompetent by accident.