Why become a member? ×

Gotoh 201 v 203

aceuggy

I'm planning on changing the bridge on my Fender P. I looked at the Badass, but frankly they are too expensive and quite difficult to source at the moment, so I have decided on a Gotoh bridge. I'm a little confused however! What is the difference, if any, between the 201 and the 203?

[quote name='aceuggy' post='1179644' date='Mar 28 2011, 03:45 PM']I'm planning on changing the bridge on my Fender P. I looked at the Badass, but frankly they are too expensive and quite difficult to source at the moment, so I have decided on a Gotoh bridge. I'm a little confused however! What is the difference, if any, between the 201 and the 203?[/quote]

From what i can tell when i was researching the same thing, the 201 is an exact copy of the original Fender bridge, whereas the 203 is a high mass version. I went for the 203 on mine and i love it, a very high quality bridge IMHO, but i have heard some people say that the high mass version does change the tone and make it sound less like a "P". Personally, i'm not really sure what a "P" sound is, i just know i like the sound of mine.

+1 to the Gotoh "de-Precisioning" the sound. They are good bridges, very sturdy, easy to adjust for intonation, but to me, mine seemed to add tightness to the lows, sharpness to the highs, and remove the chunky low-mids Precisions are famed for, making it seem a bit more hi-fi. In the end, I got to the point where I wanted my Precision to sound like a Precision, so I swapped it back, but it`s really down to the ears of the user.

And with regards to Gotoh against Badass, I`ve had those too, and soundwise I didn`t really notice much difference between the two - but my wallet did. If I had to decide on a replacement bridge, the Gotoh would get my vote.

[quote name='aceuggy' post='1179644' date='Mar 28 2011, 03:45 PM']I'm planning on changing the bridge on my Fender P. I looked at the Badass, but frankly they are too expensive and quite difficult to source at the moment, so I have decided on a Gotoh bridge. I'm a little confused however! What is the difference, if any, between the 201 and the 203?[/quote]

Old Horse Murphy is selling a USA Fender High mass bridge in the classifieds. These are really nice bridges and if i didnt already have a Gotoh 201 i would snap this up.

For what its worth ive gone form a Squier HM bridge to a Fender vintage bridge and settled on a Gotoh 201 on my Squier CV P and didnt really notice any tonal difference but that could just be down to my rig.
I've used BAII bridges in the past but i do think they are a bit over priced.

You could also try the Wilkinson bridges, they do similar versions for around £15

[url="http://www.axesrus.com/axeBassh.htm"]Wilkinson bass bridges[/url]

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='Lozz196' post='1180397' date='Mar 29 2011, 02:32 AM']+1 to the Gotoh "de-Precisioning" the sound. They are good bridges, very sturdy, easy to adjust for intonation, but to me, mine seemed to add tightness to the lows, sharpness to the highs, and remove the chunky low-mids Precisions are famed for, making it seem a bit more hi-fi. In the end, I got to the point where I wanted my Precision to sound like a Precision, so I swapped it back, but it`s really down to the ears of the user.

And with regards to Gotoh against Badass, I`ve had those too, and soundwise I didn`t really notice much difference between the two - but my wallet did. If I had to decide on a replacement bridge, the Gotoh would get my vote.[/quote]

+1 to this, especially 'a bit more hi-fi.' I like what my 201 did for tone. Inexpensive, too (about $30 over here). It also looks great.