Why become a member? ×

Fender Aerodyne Bass

neptunehealer

I have been looking at this bass for a while now and it appeals to me as it's lightweight and has a combination of Jazz and P pickups.
I never see any famous bass players using this bass which kind of suggests to me it's not the best choice out there.
I would like to know if there is anyone here who has tried one or even owns one and how do you rate it.
I kknow the jack input location is a flaw but i have found an Aerodyne on a website which has the jack input in a more traditional location.
Just would like more insight into this bass, many thanks.

[quote name='neptunehealer' post='134270' date='Feb 5 2008, 12:50 PM']I never see any famous bass players using this bass which kind of suggests to me it's not the best choice out there.[/quote]

Didn't Duff McThingummy use one in Velvet Revolver? Certainly he has one in one of their vids and I think posing with one for a few ads too.

I think in black, it looks superb.. one on the list for someday!

Mark

The one Duff has in the rotosound ad is not his own, he didn't have his bass with him for the promo shot. AFAIK he doesn't use Aerodynes. But who cares! If you like it, play it! Never mind which famous player uses it or not! I have a Jap non-export model in OCR with a set of Wizard pups and it is the bees knees! Absolutely love it. The finish of the bass is pretty much flawless, the fretwork much better than my MIA Jazz (sharp edges, ouch) and the neck is lovely and slim with a satin finish that makes it very fast. The non-export model had a control plate like a standard Jazz so no input jack issues there. What I will say is that the standard pups are a bit weedy, hence the switch to Wizards. But then Andy's prices are very reasonable and if you factor in the cost of some replacement pups you're still quids in with a monster sounding p/j to boot!

*ding ding*

I own one, and I think 3 or 4 others do, Paul_H springs to mind who I'm 95% sure has one.

It's an interesting beast, you can't fit other bridges unless you find one with exactly the same measurements as a fender one, or you either 1) route the bass or 2) create a mounting plate because the bridge sits in a 3mm deep recess.

The top's curved, but there's no actual forearm cutaway, which depending on your play style and lead to being uncomfortable on the shaper edge of the body.

Pups are standard fender ones, however this leads to a problem as the P-pup drowns out the J-Pup if you use them both together, I'm ooing about perhaps getting a Wizard 84 in there to bring it up to a decent level.

I've got one of the non-export Jap ones, with dots, scratch plate and traditional control plate, as expected it's 100% Jap excellence all the way I havn't actually found a fault with finish or construction yet and I've had it for er...nearly 2 years I think.

If I was you, I'd possibly consider looking for a 2nd hand MIA Jazz or P and get it routed if a P-J is really what you want, or look at other brands that sell similar basses.

Mine might go on sale at the start of the summer to get a 2nd hand Jazz, my aero is just too pristine, I don't want to take it and use it incase I damage it. I also want a satan finish on the neck, my aero's got a gloss finish.

Edited by Buzz

[quote name='Buzz' post='134339' date='Feb 5 2008, 02:17 PM']*ding ding*

I own one, and I think 3 or 4 others do, Paul_H springs to mind who I'm 95% sure has one.

It's an interesting beast, you can't fit other bridges unless you find one with exactly the same measurements as a fender one, or you either 1) route the bass or 2) create a mounting plate because the bridge sits in a 3mm deep recess.

The top's curved, but there's no actual forearm cutaway, which depending on your play style and lead to being uncomfortable on the shaper edge of the body.

Pups are standard fender ones, however this leads to a problem as the P-pup drowns out the J-Pup if you use them both together, I'm ooing about perhaps getting a Wizard 84 in there to bring it up to a decent level.

I've got one of the non-export Jap ones, with dots, scratch plate and traditional control plate, as expected it's 100% Jap excellence all the way I havn't actually found a fault with finish or construction yet and I've had it for er...nearly 2 years I think.

If I was you, I'd possibly consider looking for a 2nd hand MIA Jazz or P and get it routed if a P-J is really what you want, or look at other brands that sell similar basses.

Mine might go on sale at the start of the summer to get a 2nd hand Jazz, my aero is just too pristine, I don't want to take it and use it incase I damage it. I also want a satan finish on the neck, my aero's got a gloss finish.[/quote]

Well the main thing that drew me to it was it being lightweight and easy to play. Do you find it being lightweight a good or bad thing? the p/j pickup combination isn't the be all and end all for me i may find i may go for a Fender Jazz if i can find one that feels nice and isn't too heavy on the shoulders.
My playing style is with fingers, and in my cover band we play a mixture of pop, soul, disco, and funk and a tiny amount of rock.
Just the p/j pickup combo was triggered in my mind after hearing Stu Zender playing Valerie with Mark Ronson with a fender p-bass and the sound at the start was something to die for, then again it could have come from his super expensive amp.

[quote name='The Burpster' post='134345' date='Feb 5 2008, 02:26 PM']Satan finish eh....? Is that like a satin finsh but warmer..... ;)[/quote]

:huh:

Whoops :)

As for weight, well, it's roughly the same as my Squier VMJ if I remember correctly (Although I was home this weekend, I'm now back down in Pompey with the VMJ so I can't weight it), though I never had a problem with the weight of my T-Bird when I had it.
I can wear the aero for ages with that wider leather strap on it.

I'm not commenting on playability as I'm currently flitting inbetween strings, when I'm home at easter I'm going to wack on a set of thicker set of roundwounds on it (perhaps a custom 50-70-85-105, or a Steve Harris roto flat set).

Edited by Buzz

I had the standard export version in black. It was my dream bass for a while, but when I finally got one it just didn't do it for me the way I was expecting. Didn't knock me out either for sound or playability. The bound edges soon got on my nerves, and although I admit mine was a less-than-pristine Ebay aquisition, not a new one, it had an annoying earthing hum. I didn't take much persuading to move it on in favour of an Ibanez SR500, which was much nicer as far as I was concerned. Actually I've seen quite a few in music videos over the past 12 months, and when I was looking, everybody was terribly keen to point out that it was 'as used by Duff McKagan'. The non-export versions with scratchplates are much nicer IMHO.

Yup, I have one.

I've fallen in and out of love with it several times! I originally got it because of the weight issue, but to be honest my SX P feels lighter, and that has an alder body. (I haven't checked the actual weight of the Aerodyne yet, but the SX is 3.8kg.)

For me the weakest thing was the bridge pickup which I replaced with a NOS US one. Made a huge difference.

P.

• 3 weeks later...

This was mine - I bought it as a project bass and replaced the machines, the bridge, and put a [black] John East unit in it. I kept it for a short time then sold it on because I had building work to pay for. Incidentally, it's also the bass I'm holding on my picture thingy on the left...I thought that was my Precision.

When I first saw the Aerodynes (via a link off alt.guitar.bass) I wasn't really that taken with it - the binding reminded me of the type of guitars ZZ Top used to use, so it wasn't love at first sight, more a long term love affair.

It was a lovely bass, the finish was beautiful, the neck was thin and fast and [before I did the upgrades] it sounded sweet straight out of the box. None of the upgrades took anything away from it, but I would say that fitting the East unit didn't contribute to the sound that much, other than overloading my amp.

A couple of words of warning; my right forearm would be all red and achy after playing it due to the slab body and the control cavity wasn't deep enough to house the East unit, so I had to rout out a battery cavity on the rear. ADDED: I fitted a BadassII to it and there were no problems whatsoever - direct replacement - a ten minute job tops. Yes, there was a cavity the original bridge sat in, but the BAII covered it neatly enough...no horror stories.

Would I buy another one? Hmmm. I don't think so...it was nice to have one for a while, but I'd be more inclined to put my money towards a Geddy Lee or one of the Jap JB75 reissues.

P

Edited by NancyJohnson