Why become a member? ×

Ken SMITH

griffonite

[quote name='kerley' post='1178297' date='Mar 27 2011, 02:13 PM']... it hasn't sold because the price is too high ...[/quote]
That's correct of course but part of what determines the price people are willing to pay is the clarity of the for sale thread, the quality of the pics, the credentials of the seller, etc.

Would it influence your opinion of the bass if you knew it was owned by a top class musician and the repair was done by Martin Petersen of Sei basses and that the bass had been in the repaired condition for twelve years? My point being that a top musician wouldn't presumably entrust the repair of a very high end bass( that said 'top musician' had owned for years) to any old repairman?I' m no luthier but I can't see how you could hide repairs on the neck like this unless there was some kind of finish on the wood that would hide cracks but I'm probably wrong about that.

[quote name='griffonite' post='1179622' date='Mar 28 2011, 03:30 PM']Would it influence your opinion of the bass if you knew it was owned by a top class musician[/quote]

Nup.

[quote]and the repair was done by Martin Petersen of Sei basses and that the bass had been in the repaired condition for twelve years?[/quote]

Nup. That is not exactly the nicest looking of repairs. If it is one of Martin's repairs, he has obviously improved somewhat over the last twelve years!! (Having said that, it's not really fair to comment because the repair may have been done as budget functional repair - as opposed to a labour intensive "invisible" repair.

[quote]I' m no luthier but I can't see how you could hide repairs on the neck like this unless there was some kind of finish on the wood that would hide cracks but I'm probably wrong about that.[/quote]

Hmm.... I've seen seem amazing repairs where something like this becomes invisible.

Edited by EBS_freak

[quote name='griffonite' post='1179622' date='Mar 28 2011, 03:30 PM']I' m no luthier but I can't see how you could hide repairs on the neck like this unless there was some kind of finish on the wood that would hide cracks but I'm probably wrong about that.[/quote]
One of the easist ways is to get another piece of the same wood, sometimes if you're lucky you can take it from the actual wood of the guitar (for eg. make a p/u cavity slightly larger under the plate). Get a saw with the finest teeth you can find & saw that bit of wood to pieces. Then mix the resulting sawdust with PVA glue until it's stodgy sawdust then fill the hole with it. (Having first fixed the actual break with the same glue leaving it a little short of the surface so that you've got a crack to put your filler into).
The glue dries clear & if it's off the same piece it can't fail to match, if you chose your bit well it should be preddy damn close.

[quote name='Big_Stu' post='1179714' date='Mar 28 2011, 04:33 PM']One of the easist ways is to get another piece of the same wood, sometimes if you're lucky you can take it from the actual wood of the guitar (for eg. make a p/u cavity slightly larger under the plate). Get a saw with the finest teeth you can find & saw that bit of wood to pieces. Then mix the resulting sawdust with PVA glue until it's stodgy sawdust then fill the hole with it. (Having first fixed the actual break with the same glue leaving it a little short of the surface so that you've got a crack to put your filler into).
The glue dries clear & if it's off the same piece it can't fail to match, if you chose your bit well it should be preddy damn close.[/quote]

Exactly. Use the same technique for building up a nut rather than replacing it - file down another nut, collect the "dust", mix it up and it's ready to fill the nut.

Very interesting chaps. I knew I was probably wrong. So you think this is a shoddy repair job? Personally I wouldn't care about appearences as long as the neck was structurally sound but I can't understand why it would be left visible if it were possible to conceal the damage? Financial considerations apart, I suppose. Thanks for the replies. Any info' or opinions are useful.

[quote name='griffonite' post='1179734' date='Mar 28 2011, 04:53 PM']Very interesting chaps. I knew I was probably wrong. So you think this is a shoddy repair job? Personally I wouldn't care about appearences as long as the neck was structurally sound but I can't understand why it would be left visible if it were possible to conceal the damage? Financial considerations apart, I suppose. Thanks for the replies. Any info' or opinions are useful.[/quote]

I think the deal is is that if somebody is in the market for buying a Smith, they won't be looking at one with damage, especially with a repair job like that. It may be worth spending a bit to get a better repair job done... although I don't quite know who you are going to sell it to with damage like that... unless it really is invisible and looks as good as new. I think the key thing would be to get the crack repaired so it's not visible and get the polyester reblown over the repair. If needs be, it may need some seriously blowing in in the polyester department to get it spot on.

[quote name='griffonite' post='1181047' date='Mar 29 2011, 05:23 PM']Would you have any idea how much it would be to make this repair less visible? The repair is actually smooth to the touch by the way if that's of any significance.[/quote]

Can you take hi res pictures of the repair, this will aid fellow basschatters.

[quote name='griffonite' post='1181108' date='Mar 29 2011, 06:07 PM']Pictures not possible I'm afraid.[/quote]

I'm confused, is it your bass, or are you asking a hypothetical question about a bass belonging to someone else that you'd like to buy, but which needs repair. If the latter, no-one is going to be able to give you a vaguely reliable estimate without several very good pics, and even then, it's still guesswork compared to taking into a luthier for a quote.

[quote name='griffonite' post='1179622' date='Mar 28 2011, 07:30 AM']Would it influence your opinion of the bass if you knew it was owned by a top class musician and the repair was done by Martin Petersen of Sei basses and that the bass had been in the repaired condition for twelve years?[/quote]
Was this particular repair done by Martin Petersen?

[quote name='griffonite' post='1176003' date='Mar 25 2011, 04:00 PM']Obviously it's been damaged but a look on the internet will tell you these kinds of repairs are very common and easy to rectify often producing results superior to the original.[/quote]

Yes, because the internet is a reliable source of information

[quote name='Roland Rock' post='1178204' date='Mar 27 2011, 12:57 PM']I was a bit shocked. I'm dubious that a repair to damage like that could result in the instrument being superior to the original.[/quote]

Dubious is kinda reserved I think :)

[quote name='Vibrating G String' post='1181705' date='Mar 29 2011, 11:50 PM']Simply suggesting that would scream scammer so loud to me I would never consider the bass. To answer the OP's question :)[/quote]

Yep