Why become a member? ×

Custom bass end results

bass_ferret

• 1 month later...

[quote name='wotnwhy' post='7638' date='May 27 2007, 02:31 PM']

i'm a person who has very, very specific ideas about what i like and what i want. i also love doodling designs and such. and had the rough designs for this bass drawn up years before i took the plunge to get it made.

as i said before, i know what i like. and i just couldn't find a bass on the market that met my needs/wants 100%. and when your hitting the thousands for what is essentially a 'tool' surely you should expect nothing short of perfection.

i wanted the bass to be light and strong, so swamp ash and a multi-laminate neck with carbon rods seemed ample for the job. i thought the bass should be nice and bright as the eq can always tone that down whilst also boosting the mids, so maple fretboard it was.

as for electronics, i wanted them to be as extensive as humanly possible, partly from laziness (no need to keep going back to the amp for sound tweaks) and becuase half of the time when gigging the backline is shared, so i could not always guarentee that i'd be using my amp anyway.
the gyst of the spec i gave to Jon in this area was; SD pickups (custom wound 1/4lb jazz and MM humbucker), piezo with own volume control and a powerful 3-band eq. active/passive switch ('cos you never know).
Jon really went to town with this and used the electronics he designed as a base/prototype for his current active electronics

and finally looks :o
now this is something i thought long and hard about. i see instruments primerily as tools. and tools are made to be used, i'm not one for wrapping it up in cotton wool, afraid to take it out incase it gets damaged. i'm also in what is essentially a 'party' band. playing at house parties, in barns and on the beach, with lots of very drunk, active people running/jumping about the place. so the chances of knocks and dings is pretty high.
so obviously first thought are, nothing too fancy, just keep it plain. but then i though, well it's gonna get worn/damaged regardless of how pretty it looks. and if i'm spending a lot of money, i might as well have something pretty to look at when i'm not playing. so i had the most beautiful quilt maple top and went for a birdseye fretboard and a flamed maple center laminate in the neck. and then complimented the brightness with some darker wenge in the block inlays, pickup covers and controlls.

the result still wows me today, 3 years on! (seriously, i still sometimes just pick it up off the stands to look at it for a while!)

well..... :o

one of the shots Jon took soon after it's birth

the design on the headstock is a sort of abstract play on my initials TS

a nice shot of the flamed maple

an explenation of the controls

more eagle eyed amongst you will notice the 3 switches on the plate. embarrisingly i cant actually remember what 2 of them do, 1 of them is an ultra low freq. cut off switch, very effective at stopping boominess. also inside there's a mid freq. band pot.

finally just to give you a slightly better idea of how varied the quilt can be and how deep it is :lol:[/quote]

when I first looked at this photo I thought the pick ups were installed and finished in an effect similar to the rest of the bass :) . I now see that what you see is actually concave rather than convex - almost an optical elusion... :rolleyes:

[quote name='wotnwhy' post='7638' date='May 27 2007, 02:31 PM']

i'm a person who has very, very specific ideas about what i like and what i want. i also love doodling designs and such. and had the rough designs for this bass drawn up years before i took the plunge to get it made.

as i said before, i know what i like. and i just couldn't find a bass on the market that met my needs/wants 100%. and when your hitting the thousands for what is essentially a 'tool' surely you should expect nothing short of perfection.

i wanted the bass to be light and strong, so swamp ash and a multi-laminate neck with carbon rods seemed ample for the job. i thought the bass should be nice and bright as the eq can always tone that down whilst also boosting the mids, so maple fretboard it was.

as for electronics, i wanted them to be as extensive as humanly possible, partly from laziness (no need to keep going back to the amp for sound tweaks) and becuase half of the time when gigging the backline is shared, so i could not always guarentee that i'd be using my amp anyway.
the gyst of the spec i gave to Jon in this area was; SD pickups (custom wound 1/4lb jazz and MM humbucker), piezo with own volume control and a powerful 3-band eq. active/passive switch ('cos you never know).
Jon really went to town with this and used the electronics he designed as a base/prototype for his current active electronics

and finally looks :lol:
now this is something i thought long and hard about. i see instruments primerily as tools. and tools are made to be used, i'm not one for wrapping it up in cotton wool, afraid to take it out incase it gets damaged. i'm also in what is essentially a 'party' band. playing at house parties, in barns and on the beach, with lots of very drunk, active people running/jumping about the place. so the chances of knocks and dings is pretty high.
so obviously first thought are, nothing too fancy, just keep it plain. but then i though, well it's gonna get worn/damaged regardless of how pretty it looks. and if i'm spending a lot of money, i might as well have something pretty to look at when i'm not playing. so i had the most beautiful quilt maple top and went for a birdseye fretboard and a flamed maple center laminate in the neck. and then complimented the brightness with some darker wenge in the block inlays, pickup covers and controlls.

the result still wows me today, 3 years on! (seriously, i still sometimes just pick it up off the stands to look at it for a while!)

well..... :o

one of the shots Jon took soon after it's birth

the design on the headstock is a sort of abstract play on my initials TS

a nice shot of the flamed maple

an explenation of the controls

more eagle eyed amongst you will notice the 3 switches on the plate. embarrisingly i cant actually remember what 2 of them do, 1 of them is an ultra low freq. cut off switch, very effective at stopping boominess. also inside there's a mid freq. band pot.

finally just to give you a slightly better idea of how varied the quilt can be and how deep it is :rolleyes:[/quote]
Id like it if better it had an ashtray & faglighter fitted :)

• 2 weeks later...

I have a custom Alembic bass that was originally spec'd out for a player in Austria. Virtually as soon as he got it he decided the sound was not for him so he put it down and bought some Sadowsky's instead. Anyway I bought it off him a couple of months ago and saved an absolute fortune over what it would have cost me to have it made by Alembic. It's a great bass and I thought I'd share it with you since I just found this thread.
here is the build thread on the alembic page.
[url="http://alembic.com/club/messages/631/57606.html?1279803631"]http://alembic.com/club/messages/631/57606.html?1279803631[/url]

It's an all maple body based on Alembic Europa model, maple and purpleheart neck, Elan 4+1 headstock, all black finish apart from the neck which has a satin finish. Electronics are from the Alembic Signature range with an additional standby switch, top mounted jack and switchable red side LED's. In terms of sound it is as you would expect from alembic. Very Hi-fi and balanced. The maple body does give the top end a sting and the bottom end some bite. I'm loving it every time I pick it up to play.

Jazzyvee

• 1 year later...

home made 4 string and Customized USA Fender 5 as a match! (see more pix and info in my 'just showing off' post)
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/125756-my-home-made-jazz-just-showing-off/"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/125756-my-home-made-jazz-just-showing-off/[/url]]

John East preamps. The fiver has the Marcus preamp mounted on a bell plate.
Barts on the '4' along with personalized logo and neck plate. The fiver is a respray of course.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...