Why become a member? ×

Looking to swap out my Wizard Thumper. Need sugestions.

dave_bass5

Ive mentioned this a few times in other threads but i really want to put a black PG on my CV P bass.

I have the guard but the pup cut out is too small for the Thumper. I could file it down, and indeed have started to but i think with my lack of tools and skill, combined with my lack of patience i think its going to be easier, and neater to change the pup.

Just recently ive been finding my tone to be a bit low mid heavy, maybe a bit too much, so i was thinking about doing this anyway.

I would love another Fralin but i dont really want to spend that much, maybe £60 max.

Having checked the Seymour Duncan spec's it looks like all their pups fit ok so i was thinking either a SPB-1, or maybe even a Fender Vintage pup.

Any thoughts, suggestions etc?

Cheers.

Cheers Chris.

I was looking in to the SD Antiquity II today but its a bit more than i want to pay (new at least). Are you talking about the Antiquity 1 (twin coil)?

Getting new covers for the Thumper was my first thought but looking at them i dont think they will go in anything smaller. I compared them to the stock pup and there is no way it would fit the cover, and i dont want to start filing the pickup down.

I did look around for some covers but its been difficult finding any with dimensions listed.

Im pretty much sold on getting a new pup though so ill keep looking around.

Edited by dave_bass5

I would have a word with Kent/Arron Armstrong and discuss sound and what sort of cover he could put a custom wind into.

I sometimes find that the louder/hotter pickups lacking in soul and character so would talk that through with the winder, myself.

Maybe Wizard could do that as well.

Cheers John.
I had though of speaking to Andy at Wizard and asking him to make me something a bit smaller, i could even send him the stock pup covers but to be honest i still dont know where i am with all this.

I've got two pickguards that both needed filing down for the Thumper, but Andy said they are standard Fender covers. The PG is supposed to be standard as well so something is out. Looking on the Seymour Duncan website all their dimensions are slightly smaller than the Thumper, and would fit the PG, assuming they are accurate. Its not easy finding accurate dimensions for other makes.

I know what you mean about hot pickups, one reason i wont go for a SDQP, and a reason for wanting to try something other than the Thumper, something more vintage. I might speak to Andy and get him to measure his vintage pup, maybe that would work.
I also dont want to spend a lot on this bass at the moment so a more up market pup is out of the question, and i assume a custom made pup might be a bit higher than i want to pay, but i will look in to this.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' post='1174860' date='Mar 24 2011, 04:26 PM']Ok, hope the firs two decide they don't like P basses in the meantime! :)[/quote]

Ha, ill let you know if they do.

All this talk of Wizard pups has just reminded me i have a set of Wizard 74's in a drawer at home. Think ill put those back in the CV Jazz this weekend to take my mind off the P.

[quote name='geoffbyrne' post='1174998' date='Mar 24 2011, 05:57 PM']After all this talk about replacement..............have you tried cutting the mids on the EQ of the amp?

:)

G.[/quote]

Tried both cutting the mids and the pickguard ;-)

I use a BDDI and this does give a mid cut. I could live with the Thumper if i could get the PG to fit but as i'll have to mess around i do fancy chaning the pup to something less dark sounding.