Why become a member? ×

Adamovic Jupiter singlecut

wombatboter

A couple of years I saw a picture of this bass which was custom made for a Dutch bass-player by Adamovic, a luthier from Holland.
I liked the looks from the very start and I was really excited when this bass went for sale a couple of weeks ago..
I didn't hesitate and bought it for a really good price (with all the extras they cost around 3100 euros)
I've owned around 112 basses during the past 29 years but this really is something special..
It sounds great (like a blend of a MusicMan and a Fodera) and the playability is beyond belief, the neck is very fast and no effort is needed.
A crisp slaptone, a warm fingerstyle-tone... they all sound just great.
The most striking thing is the weight.. this was made for those kind of bass-players who have back-problems and this bass has an X-ergo carved back which blends with your body.
It's véry light and when I pick up my Wal or Pedulla-basses these feel like I'm driving a big truck..
I'm still checking it out since I have it since a week but it keeps on amazing me...

Body wood: One piece alder
Pick-ups: Adamovic Twinnjazz /Jazz by Heaussel

Top wood: Macassar ebony
Electronics: Noll 2 band
Shape: X-ergo back shaping
Pu -modes Series/singlecoil/parallel
Pick-ups covers: Ebony
Neck Knobs Ebony
Main neck wood: Hard maple
Secondary wood: wenge Hardware
Fingerboard: stabilize birdseye maple
Bridge: Hipshot style A-style 3-way adjustable
Scale length: 34" Tuners: Hipshot Ultralites

Finish: Oil finish Nut: Ebony
Jack: Barrel jack

Very nice !

How's it compare to your Wal in terms of playability, tonally, craftsmanship etc.

Sorry for the questions, but I've really got the hots for the Adamovic FBC after seeing two beauties for sale on BC (and I have a Wal as a reference point :)) unfortunately typically I have no money available at the moment but maybe later in the year I'll see if I can source one, but must admit I'd love to try one first as they're not particularily cheap.

[quote name='purpleblob' post='1161635' date='Mar 14 2011, 01:18 PM']Very nice !

How's it compare to your Wal in terms of playability, tonally, craftsmanship etc.

Sorry for the questions, but I've really got the hots for the Adamovic FBC after seeing two beauties for sale on BC (and I have a Wal as a reference point :)) unfortunately typically I have no money available at the moment but maybe later in the year I'll see if I can source one, but must admit I'd love to try one first as they're not particularily cheap.[/quote]

I must say that it sounds a bit more mellow than the Wal.. it doesn't have that dark mid-tone that a Wal bass or certain jazz-basses have.
The craftmanship is superb with attention to any detail..
The Wal is heavier and a bit more demanding but on the other hand it delivers a sound which is unique..
That's a thing the Adamovic lacks a bit : very fast, very easy to play but it doesn't have the unique colour of a Wal bass..
I made this short clip with a couple of sounds for some Dutch bass-players (sorry, it's Dutch spoken but you can recognize some sounds)
Thanks for the feedback so far

[quote name='wombatboter' post='1162247' date='Mar 14 2011, 07:56 PM']I must say that it sounds a bit more mellow than the Wal.. it doesn't have that dark mid-tone that a Wal bass or certain jazz-basses have.
The craftmanship is superb with attention to any detail..
The Wal is heavier and a bit more demanding but on the other hand it delivers a sound which is unique..
That's a thing the Adamovic lacks a bit : very fast, very easy to play but it doesn't have the unique colour of a Wal bass..
I made this short clip with a couple of sounds for some Dutch bass-players (sorry, it's Dutch spoken but you can recognize some sounds)
Thanks for the feedback so far

[/quote]

Thanks so much for the reply, I will check out the clip when I get home.

EDIT: Just checked this out - first off, I have to say - that's some absolutely fantastic playing and whilst I cannot understand Dutch I still gained a lot from the clip and you demonstrating the different sounds etc. All in all it does sound a fabulous instrument.

Edited by purpleblob

Thanks (never amazed myself by my own manierisms though :-)) and glad to be of help..
Bottomline for me is that the big pick-up is more than enough for me and that I don't need the neck pick-up.
There's plenty of punch in that one sound which does it for me..
It's a small lightweight bass and the longer I play it the more I like it... it's like I said in the clip : everything just goes faster and needs less effort and the sustain is great (need to work more on sustain :-)). Maybe a tiny higher action to make it less twangy and give it a bit more mids.
Not sure though if the combination of this bass with my Genz Benz 9.0 shuttle and the Tecamp 4X10 works really well..
Something gives me the impression that the Tecamp sounds a bit too dirty for this sort of bass and I might be checking out the Ubercab Genz Benz which comes along with the excellent Genz Benz 9.0..

• 2 months later...

wombatboter,

Thank you very much for taking the time to make the YouTube video available to us.

At Adamovic's website, I must have looked at this specific Jupiter 4-string a dozen times...it looks superb...and now I know that it sounds superb! (Nice playing by the way.) I have become most impressed with Nikola's work and hope to own a custom Adamovic bass in the near future. This video confirms it for me. Plus, Mr. Adamovic seems to have fantastic customer service as well; he has certainly been extremely helpful and informative in my e-mail correspondence with him.

Thanks.. I contacted Nikola to make me a nice singlecut fretless. Looking forward to it !
Good luck with the basses and thanks again for the feedback..
To be honest I'm using Epifani amps and Bergantino speakers for the moment and the bass sounds better with this combination..

[quote name='wombatboter' post='1249962' date='May 30 2011, 10:11 AM']Thanks.. I contacted Nikola to make me a nice singlecut fretless. Looking forward to it !
Good luck with the basses and thanks again for the feedback..
To be honest I'm using Epifani amps and Bergantino speakers for the moment and the bass sounds better with this combination..[/quote]

Very nice...please feel free to update us about the fretless Adamovic! Have you determined all of the specifications for it yet?

May I ask you what type/gauge of strings you are using on this fretted beauty?

Thanks,
Bryan

We've emailed a couple of times and he said that he would contact me as soon as he has a fretless bass ready so I can check it out and we can determine the specs...he's very busy since he said something that he has to move.
There's a clip of the bassplayer of the Spin Doctors and I'm thinking in that direction when I look at that model.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pB2YxJ7Vxcw"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pB2YxJ7Vxcw[/url]

Strings I use are usually D'Addario's Nickel 40-100...I also use them on my Wal basses.

[quote name='wombatboter' post='1250542' date='May 30 2011, 05:43 PM']We've emailed a couple of times and he said that he would contact me as soon as he has a fretless bass ready so I can check it out and we can determine the specs...he's very busy since he said something that he has to move.[/quote]

Yes, he mentioned something about moving in one of his e-mails to me.

[quote name='wombatboter' post='1250542' date='May 30 2011, 05:43 PM']There's a clip of the bassplayer of the Spin Doctors and I'm thinking in that direction when I look at that model.[/quote]

...wonderful Birdseye Maple top on that one!

[quote name='wombatboter' post='1250542' date='May 30 2011, 05:43 PM']Strings I use are usually D'Addario's Nickel 40-100...I also use them on my Wal basses.[/quote]

Thanks for the information. I have never actually used their nickel strings, as I lean towards stainless steels. However, these Circle K Hybrids have definitely captured my attention, and I hope to try them soon. I have heard nothing but good things about them: [url="http://circlekstrings.com/store/why.html"]Circle K Strings[/url]