Why become a member? ×

Gallien-Krueger MB heads

ThomBassmonkey

I'm obviously going to be biased, I'm a GK endorsee and I spent the weekend on their LBGS stand but...wow.

GKs are a pretty rare sight around here and I bought my first GK rig on the strength of renting one 700RB (just the head, can't remember what cab) at a band practice. I always assumed that the MB heads are what you'd expect from a small (relatively) cheap head, i.e. they did the job but struggled and sucked tone.

I have to say, I was blown away. I got to play them when all was still quiet through the neo cabs and they're not lacking in tone at all, they're very comparable to their big brothers in the artist range.

The real surprise of the show for me was playing with the MB 200, it's a 200w head that weighs 2lbs and is tiny, only cost £200 at the show too (£250 list IIRC). Plugged in to the neo410 (which was only 8ohm, making the head run at 140w) it was happily pumping out giggable volumes (though there wasn't a lot of headroom, it'd struggle without PA support at medium-large gigs). I'm seriously considering picking one up. Even at the £250 list (a quick google showed them available at £209), it's an amazing price when you think you can spend over £100 easily on a DI box (this has a direct out and it should be good quality judging from the other GK stuff) and having a back-up head that weighs nothing and takes up no room is invaluable.

I'm seriously considering getting something to contrast my "big rig" (also known as the back breaking rig), mainly looking at a MB fusion (the hybrid 500w) and a couple of 2x12 neos (I prefer the RBHs but you can't argue with the weight difference), but having a MB200 always hidden in my bag as a backup is looking very appealing as well.

Has anyone ever used them in anger? Obviously using one at a bass show where you're in a world of bad slap playing or on your own before it opens is different to actually gigging one. It's worth mentioning that apparently an MB500 isn't actually the same head as in the MB 500w combos (I thought it was but apparently not), likewise the MB200 isn't the same as in the MB115.

Apologies for posting raving about something that I'm obviously so biased on, but I rarely get excited about stuff that's going on in bass gear world, but the size and power of these was a geniune shock and the price is reasonable too compared to some of the other stuff around. Now if GK burn all the remaining GLX gear (the hideous gold halfstack for those that were at the show), they'll have aflawless lineup IMO.

I like GK just personally they seem overpriced for I guess shipping vat duty and everything getting them here :/

Kinda vice versa with orange in the US. For me its easier to get something UK based as it ends up a better deal :)

May have to pick up the small head tho for bedroom jamming if it's as good as you say :)

Hey Thom

Yes I've been using the GK stuff for years as I too have a tie up with them and Beyer or Polar as they are now known. I have two rigs, one with an old GK MK1 RB1000 head and Aguilar DB112 cabs and the other set up is an MB500 with a 410RBH. I used to use 2 x 410RBH cabs but as you say they are not the lightest cabs around, though I think they have a great sound to them. I just wish they would do away with the carpet finish. never liked that on a cab.... reminds me of cheap car stereo subs....

I couldn't make the show as I was playing three functions over the weekend. Was Mikey C from Polar manning the stand?

Jay

James, which models do you think are overpriced? I've just checked on Thomann and the MB500 is £420, the MB Fusion is £583. For small powerful heads, there's not a lot of quality stuff cheaper. Agreed, the artist stuff is pretty expensive, but it is (IMO) very good and there's far more expensive gear on the market.

[quote name='crez5150' post='1161334' date='Mar 14 2011, 08:04 AM']Hey Thom

Yes I've been using the GK stuff for years as I too have a tie up with them and Beyer or Polar as they are now known. I have two rigs, one with an old GK MK1 RB1000 head and Aguilar DB112 cabs and the other set up is an MB500 with a 410RBH. I used to use 2 x 410RBH cabs but as you say they are not the lightest cabs around, though I think they have a great sound to them. I just wish they would do away with the carpet finish. never liked that on a cab.... reminds me of cheap car stereo subs....

I couldn't make the show as I was playing three functions over the weekend. Was Mikey C from Polar manning the stand?

Jay[/quote]

How come you use the "heavy" head with the lighter cabs and vice versa? I'm planning on using my 2001RB with my 410RBHs and then have a seperate micro rig for practices and small/acoustic gigs. They do sound better than the NEOs IMO, but then the neos are designed to be light (and still do sound great, just not quite as great), the RBH cabs are designed purely for tone.

Mikey (I think) popped down on the Sunday, it was mainly Alex, Andy and Clive. I'm crap with surnames, so that's all you'll get. haha

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' post='1161569' date='Mar 14 2011, 11:30 AM']How come you use the "heavy" head with the lighter cabs and vice versa? I'm planning on using my 2001RB with my 410RBHs and then have a seperate micro rig for practices and small/acoustic gigs. They do sound better than the NEOs IMO, but then the neos are designed to be light (and still do sound great, just not quite as great), the RBH cabs are designed purely for tone.

Mikey (I think) popped down on the Sunday, it was mainly Alex, Andy and Clive. I'm crap with surnames, so that's all you'll get. haha[/quote]

Just the head that I liked using with those cabs.... though I do change around a bit to be honest.

Good to hear some love for the micro heads - I've had my GK MB500 for a little over 18 months now and love it to bits. Not sure I'd trade it for anything bigger either - it works extremely well with either of my EBS cabs (4-Ohms, 1x15 or 4x10). Lots of IO on the back which is very handy (I usually run Bass > lead > Head > Cab, but can run tri-amped with the rest of the rig). I sometimes hang a SansAmp off of the Efx out loop for DI'ing into our PA.

Did see the MB200 on here a while ago and thought it would be a great 'get you out of a hole' type head you could stuff in a gig-bag (it's only a smidge bigger than most DI pedals). Not so sure about gigging scenarios. TBH even [i]my[/i] GK looks a bit silly perched on top of a mahoosive 4x10!

Anyway, your mileage may vary. I might like to try one of the MB200's out, and would certainly recommend the bigger brother to anyone looking for a decent compact head (it certainly performed well when up against an LM3 and GB Shuttle 3.0).

HTH
Ian

My MB2-500 has played plenty of very, very noisy shows and has held its own without PA assistance. It even managed to blow up a 400W EVM-15L once (to be fair I think the bass player in question was putting what sounded like a 50Hz square wave through it).

At our last gig a bassplayer of 20 years experience came and asked me exact details of my entire rig because he was blown away by the volume and clarity. And I think he wanted to copy it.

And I don't have an endorsement deal.

[quote name='Bottle' post='1161606' date='Mar 14 2011, 11:55 AM']TBH even [i]my[/i] GK looks a bit silly perched on top of a mahoosive 4x10![/quote]

It's a shame the NEO810s aren't coming out, an MB200 perched on top of one would've looked great!! If I do get a second rig, I'll be taking it down to the old bell in Derby at some point and hide my other heads, let people think that I'm using the teeny MB200 through 4 cabs haha. Or I could use their in-house 8x10 too...mm.., volume. I managed to drown out their PA with just my current rig! :)

How come you use a Sansamp from the FX out? How's the direct out?

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' post='1161717' date='Mar 14 2011, 01:22 PM']Here's a little demo of the MB200 by the way (not sure what cab it's going through), I think a lot of people don't take them seriously because they're so small but as this shows, they're very capable little things.

[/quote]

I've had the MB200 for about a month now, I love it. Paired with a Wizzy 10 or two Epifani Ul110's it sounds like it should cost 2 or 3 times the price!

There's plenty of power for jazz & blues gigs with drums.

I've also got the MB210 which I've used on a few gigs, it sounds great with with acoustic upright, eub & jazz bass, and it's lightweight.

Anyone got the MB112 yet?

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1161724' date='Mar 14 2011, 01:27 PM']Ive always wanted a GK amp but I never knew which one to get!

The MB500/Fusion look great, but they now have more powerful ones being released soon![/quote]

Not that I'm aware of. There was going to be a Fusion 1050 (1050w, predictably), but that's the big brother of the Fusion 550, not the MB Fusion (i.e. it's the full size and weight version). I heard over the weekend that a few thing have been cancelled, I can't say for definite but the Fusion 1050 was one of the ones mentioned.

To make them more powerful they'd have to make them bigger which would take away from the magic of the tiny little boxes that pump out insane volume IMO. If they made them more powerful, it'd defeat the point of them trying to aim for the lightweight and smaller budget market rather than their artist (RB) series which is in big-boy territory.

Obviously I don't actually work for GK or Polar Audio, so I'm just going on what I've been told (which is far from everything) and my own feelings about it.

I've just emailed Polar to sort out getting something. An MB Fusion with two NEO212s would be a great contrast to my current big rig and an MB200 that lives in my gig bag will never hurt.

MM20, if you're ever down Notts/Derbys direction, you're welcome to give my rig (or rigs if I end up with several) a whirl. It'll give you a good idea of what to expect from GK gear as they all have that trademark GK sound from the little 200w micro to my 1080w monster.

[quote name='Mr Bassman' post='1161749' date='Mar 14 2011, 01:45 PM']I've had the MB200 for about a month now, I love it. Paired with a Wizzy 10 or two Epifani Ul110's it sounds like it should cost 2 or 3 times the price!

There's plenty of power for jazz & blues gigs with drums.

I've also got the MB210 which I've used on a few gigs, it sounds great with with acoustic upright, eub & jazz bass, and it's lightweight.

Anyone got the MB112 yet?[/quote]

What do you use to pair it up with two cabs or do the Epis have links?

The one downside about the MB200 is that it only has the one output. I'm sure there's cables available that can split the signal, I need to look into it really.

I couldn't say 100% but I don't think there's any MB112s around yet. I think Polar are still waiting on them, they should be here soon though. Again, I might be wrong though, it's hard to tell what's being said when there's 50 people doing Mark King impressions with their amps on 11.

Cheers! If I'm nearby I'll give you a PM.

Ps - There was talk in Talkbass about the new products.

Here is one of them:

[url="http://www.rmcaudiodirect.com/Gallien-Krueger-MB-800-Bass-Amp-p/mb-800.htm"]http://www.rmcaudiodirect.com/Gallien-Krue...mp-p/mb-800.htm[/url]

There was a GK flyer but not sure where it is now.

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' post='1161767' date='Mar 14 2011, 01:58 PM']What do you use to pair it up with two cabs or do the Epis have links?[/quote]

The Epi's have 2x speakons + 2 x 1/4" jacks

[quote name='Merton' post='1161997' date='Mar 14 2011, 04:47 PM']I've had an MB200 on order since December, hoping it'll arrive soon, even more so hearing your report Thom :)[/quote]

I got mine from [url="http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~Gallien-Krueger-MB200-Bass-Amp-Head~ID~14131.asp"]Soundslive[/url] a couple of days after ordering.

[quote name='Mr Bassman' post='1162286' date='Mar 14 2011, 08:13 PM']The Epi's have 2x speakons + 2 x 1/4" jacks[/quote]

Annoyingly the GK cabs only have the one speakon and jack. Hopefully it's just a case of using a splitter for 2 cabs (I'm running 8 ohm ones), though I'm really not in the know for these kinds of things.

[quote name='Mr Bassman' post='1162286' date='Mar 14 2011, 08:13 PM']I got mine from [url="http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~Gallien-Krueger-MB200-Bass-Amp-Head~ID~14131.asp"]Soundslive[/url] a couple of days after ordering.[/quote]

I was thinking that, I'm pretty sure that Polar have them in stock, it shouldn't take more than a week or so even if your retailer doesn't have them in, Polar usually ship next-day delivery, then your shop only has to send it to you. Maybe best to give them a buzz and see if there's a problem. :) They are awesome little beasts, I'm sure you won't be disapointed.

Edited by ThomBassmonkey

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' post='1161677' date='Mar 14 2011, 12:52 PM']It's a shame the NEO810s aren't coming out, an MB200 perched on top of one would've looked great!! If I do get a second rig, I'll be taking it down to the old bell in Derby at some point and hide my other heads, let people think that I'm using the teeny MB200 through 4 cabs haha. Or I could use their in-house 8x10 too...mm.., volume. I managed to drown out their PA with just my current rig! :)[/quote]
Indeed. You could fake up a huge 8x10 rig and large head made out of just the facia and hide a smaller cab (I dunno, maybe a Neo 2x12 and the MB200) behind it, kinda like those mammoth stage rigs you'd see in the '80s......

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' post='1161677' date='Mar 14 2011, 12:52 PM']How come you use a Sansamp from the FX out? How's the direct out?[/quote]
Well, it's a long story, but I've found I can hear myself better on stage through my 1x15 if I run it clean directly off of the head (with maybe a smidge of bass rolled off, and the contour all the way off, everything else flat). Seems to suit both of my passive basses and playing style.

The SansAmp is purely for the PA, so I set it up using the default setting out of the user manual for the 'Active Bass Simulator' i.e all the EQ controls fully clockwise, ~75% wet/dry blend, smidge of drive, and volume for the PA desk input. I don't use the DI out of the head, unless I'm tri-amping.

HTH,
Ian

[quote name='Bottle' post='1162367' date='Mar 14 2011, 08:50 PM']Indeed. You could fake up a huge 8x10 rig and large head made out of just the facia and hide a smaller cab (I dunno, maybe a Neo 2x12 and the MB200) behind it, kinda like those mammoth stage rigs you'd see in the '80s......[/quote]

To be honest I was thinking more along the lines of taking down my two 410RBH cabs and (if I get the MB fusion, 2 neo212s and a backup MB200 like I'm thinking) stacking the 212s on top of those and the in-house trace 810 on stage too. With my 2001, the fusion and the MB200, I could run it all, 16 10" speakers and 4 12" powered by 1780w. haha. Not sure how much Jay (the sound guy) would appreciate it...I'm sure he'd see the funny side though..maybe.

[quote name='Bottle' post='1162367' date='Mar 14 2011, 08:50 PM']Well, it's a long story, but I've found I can hear myself better on stage through my 1x15 if I run it clean directly off of the head (with maybe a smidge of bass rolled off, and the contour all the way off, everything else flat). Seems to suit both of my passive basses and playing style.

The SansAmp is purely for the PA, so I set it up using the default setting out of the user manual for the 'Active Bass Simulator' i.e all the EQ controls fully clockwise, ~75% wet/dry blend, smidge of drive, and volume for the PA desk input. I don't use the DI out of the head, unless I'm tri-amping.

HTH,
Ian[/quote]

Ok, so basically you're purely using your MB for stage monitoring with a bit of colouring from the pre then using the Sansamp to EQ and DI? The "lightweight" rig I'm thinking of would still be quite tall (and of course I'd mainly be using the MB fusion head), so I should still be able to hear it fine. I'll bear it in mind though. :)

I am wondering if I should skip the two 212s and maybe go for 2 112s though, or maybe one of each for the versatility. I'd still have my 410RBHs if I need big volume.

Damn you Gallien, why do you do this to me? I'll own them all one day! haha.

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' post='1162385' date='Mar 14 2011, 09:10 PM']To be honest I was thinking more along the lines of taking down my two 410RBH cabs and (if I get the MB fusion, 2 neo212s and a backup MB200 like I'm thinking) stacking the 212s on top of those and the in-house trace 810 on stage too. With my 2001, the fusion and the MB200, I could run it all, 16 10" speakers and 4 12" powered by 1780w. haha. Not sure how much Jay (the sound guy) would appreciate it...I'm sure he'd see the funny side though..maybe.[/quote]
Mwahahaha. Kudos for you if pull [i]that[/i] off!!

I chickened out when I got to 1300w (1x15 from the GK, 4x10 and two 1x12 PA cabs from a 400+400w PA amp plus x-over). It [i]was[/i] outdoors, though (that's my excuse, and I'm sticking to it!! :) )

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' post='1162385' date='Mar 14 2011, 09:10 PM']Ok, so basically you're purely using your MB for stage monitoring with a bit of colouring from the pre then using the Sansamp to EQ and DI? The "lightweight" rig I'm thinking of would still be quite tall (and of course I'd mainly be using the MB fusion head), so I should still be able to hear it fine. I'll bear it in mind though. :lol:

I am wondering if I should skip the two 212s and maybe go for 2 112s though, or maybe one of each for the versatility. I'd still have my 410RBHs if I need big volume.

Damn you Gallien, why do you do this to me? I'll own them all one day! haha.[/quote]
In a nutshell.

I tip my EBS 1x15 on it's side to get the tweeter up a bit higher and stick it on the stage behind me (we normally set up just in front of the stage). I've tried various combinations of cabs - 4x10, 1x15, two 1x12s and all of the above - the 1x15 is the most useful for practice and medium volume gigs with PA support. The 4x10 is just too much cab sometimes. 1x12s were OK but being PA cabs, weren't great with my downtuned 4-stringer. Have tried it all set up indoors, and by God, could rattle the windows something terrible :)

Anyway, good luck with your search for tonal nirvana - sounds like you're well on the way!

Ian

[quote name='Bottle' post='1162405' date='Mar 14 2011, 09:22 PM']The 4x10 is just too much cab sometimes.

Anyway, good luck with your search for tonal nirvana - sounds like you're well on the way!

Ian[/quote]

What's too much cab? I don't understand. :) My back might agree with you, but I certainly don't see the problem. :)

I already have my tonal nirvana, I've played through a lot of amps and watched god knows how many bands play through various amps (including mine) and my GK RB rig always sounds perfect with any bass in any band IMO. Much like some people feel about P basses, it just always seems to sit right with me. I don't think I'll ever have anything else as my main rig.

The perfect tone comes at a premium though, at the moment it's my only amp so I have to practice with it and it's used for all our small acoustic sets too. Carting it around is a pain (quite literally sometimes) so I need something smaller for convenience. Thanks for the kind words. :lol:

[quote name='Mr Bassman' post='1162286' date='Mar 14 2011, 08:13 PM']I got mine from [url="http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~Gallien-Krueger-MB200-Bass-Amp-Head~ID~14131.asp"]Soundslive[/url] a couple of days after ordering.[/quote]
Cheers, will have a look!

Re. the MB112, if you're referring to the cab it's not happening now apparently, so say Polar....

Bought an MB200 to use as a practice amp a few weeks ago (Soundslive delivered it the next day), and I have been blown away! I use it with a TC 12" cab and wouldnt hesitate to do a small gig with it. Just makes me smile every time I switch it on......

[quote name='Merton' post='1162514' date='Mar 14 2011, 10:28 PM']Re. the MB112, if you're referring to the cab it's not happening now apparently, so say Polar....[/quote]

The MB112 combo was available from Thomann but last time I looked they'd sold out.

[url="http://www.gear4music.com/search/mb112/filters=d:"]Gear4Music[/url], look like they've got them for £30 more