Why become a member? ×

Gallien-Krueger MB heads

ThomBassmonkey

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' post='1162418' date='Mar 14 2011, 09:31 PM']What's too much cab? I don't understand. :) My back might agree with you, but I certainly don't see the problem. :)[/quote]
Well, yes my back agrees with me too.

The 1x15 is an easy one-hand lift into the boot of the car, without having to move the seats down. At 26Kg, it's a reasonable carry over short distances, although I prefer to use the trolley for shifting it further.

The 4x10 on the other hand is obviously heavier (neither cab has Neo speakers) at 41Kg, which is just about manageable loading in and out, but requires the rear seats in the car to be folded down, limiting space in the back for other stuff. Plus, it's just a bit too big for the size of the hall we're using with PA support, even when turned down. The 1x15 just feels a bit more rounded for that environment.

I'm looking at moving stuff around and maybe investing in a 2x12 or similar as my main go-to speaker cab, lightweight being an obvious advantage, so BareFaced or Genz-Benz (or maybe the Greenboy-designed 1212/6/1 DIY cab on Talkbass). I'd then keep the 4x10 and 1x15 for gigs where I'd need a bigger setup and run the grit side of the tri-amped rig through those instead. Have got plenty of options.

I'd be interested in any GK 2x12 cabs, especially Neo drivers.

Ian

[quote name='Bottle' post='1162766' date='Mar 15 2011, 09:35 AM']I'd be interested in any GK 2x12 cabs, especially Neo drivers.[/quote]

My current cabs weigh in at about 43.5kg, the 212 neos are 22.9. I do prefer the RBH cabs slightly (I've only played the neos at the show though, even before it opens there's always someone twiddling about) but the neos still sound great (various endorsees use them over the RBHs by choice) but at almost half the weight, it's definitely a no brainer for portability. They're still fairly big though (23.5x24.5x16.5 inches) but I find the 410RBHs are just a bit too big to get two in my fiesta so they should be managable. The 112s are 13.6kgs and 23.5x15.5x16.5.

If I do go ahead and get them, as I said to MM20, if you're in the area, you're welcome to come have a play. :) I'm 99% sure I'll either be going for 212s or 112s (or one of each).

[quote name='Mr Bassman' post='1162569' date='Mar 14 2011, 11:14 PM']The MB112 combo was available from Thomann but last time I looked they'd sold out.

[url="http://www.gear4music.com/search/mb112/filters=d:"]Gear4Music[/url], look like they've got them for £30 more[/quote]
Aye, that be the combo, not the cab :)

Soundslive expect more MB200 heads in 4-5 weeks. So my wait continues :)