Why become a member? ×

I was asked to record a friends band

Blademan_98

Life's too short to make enemies of one's friends. Send 'em a rough mix and only comment on their playing if they [i]specifically[/i] ask you.

Even then, keep it restrained, keep it positive and sandwich the criticism in between some praise. e.g. "Beppo's Les Paul looks gorgeous. Shame he plays it like a tw*t. Nice shoes, though".

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='flyfisher' post='1157463' date='Mar 10 2011, 11:45 PM']Just give them a copy and let them judge for themselves.[/quote]

As they`re mates, just pass the initial recordings to them, and ask if they want you to proceed with any mixing/eq-ing, or if they think it needs recording again.

If they`re happy with what they recorded, all fine, if not, well it will save any further efforts.

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='1157716' date='Mar 11 2011, 09:54 AM']Life's too short to make enemies of one's friends. Send 'em a rough mix and only comment on their playing if they [i]specifically[/i] ask you.

Even then, keep it restrained, keep it positive and sandwich the criticism in between some praise. e.g. "Beppo's Les Paul looks gorgeous. Shame he plays it like a tw*t. Nice shoes, though".[/quote]

This sounds like excellent advice, especially the "sandwich" tip.

[quote name='Lozz196' post='1157740' date='Mar 11 2011, 10:14 AM']As they`re mates, just pass the initial recordings to them, and ask if they want you to proceed with any mixing/eq-ing, or if they think it needs recording again.

If they`re happy with what they recorded, all fine, if not, well it will save any further efforts.[/quote]

This.

Thanks for all the response!

To clear up a few points raised.

No I do not charge for recording as I am strickly amateur :)

I did sit in as a pre curser to doing a full recording session with my multi track.

I did not say anything as I am no where near as good as they are :)

The fact that they (well most of them) are my friends it what prompted the OP.

I have recorded many sessions over the last 5 years and I have never seen such a poor performance so the problem has not arisen before.

When I do these things for people I get a lot of enjoyment out of it (and mixing etc after).

That's why I do it and why I don't ever charge for my time.

It has rather put me off to be honest.

Thanks again for the discussion and I have decided just to dump the raw data onto CD and give it to them without any comments.

Cheers

Blademan

[quote name='chrismuzz' post='1157466' date='Mar 10 2011, 11:46 PM']That's tough man I feel for you! I'm always happy to give people feedback about their playing, but this sounds really bad and i wouldn't want to risk upsetting or offending them. Honesty is always the best policy though.

I would probably take a deep breath, say the recording didnt quite work out, ask them to come round and take a listen, and see what they want you to do with the recordings. They'll probably prefer to hear it themselves than to just be told 'dude your show sucked that night'. Maybe even ask if they want you do do another night in future if you want, giving them a chance to tighten up. Who knows it might be really good for them and they'll end up very grateful

Good luck mate! :)[/quote]
+ 1 thats what i would of said

[quote name='chris_b' post='1157492' date='Mar 11 2011, 12:03 AM']I don't think you should feel responsible here. They screwed up not you. If the timing was bad and they're the seasoned players you say they are they should have known what the problems were at the time.[/quote]

+1. You're doing them a favour here, why should they blame you?