Why become a member? ×

So my Rickenbacker arrived!

tomb

[quote name='daz' post='1154507' date='Mar 8 2011, 09:07 PM']Ibanez? Interesting i wouldnt have thought it was an Ibby but im certainly no expert. An old Ibby Rickenfaker can be a very nice bass to own.[/quote]

Still not a Rickenbacker...

Yes; but, to reiterate, you only paid 250 euro for it.

It's like that time I bought a Rolex for £20. Except I think you'll enjoy this a lot more :)

If you're after a real Ric, then start saving - and if you can't abide a fake, then what better way to commence saving than either asking for a refund or finding a buyer on here.

It looks great, I doubt you'd have any shortage of suitors.

Edited by Gust0o

[quote name='Hobbayne' post='1154515' date='Mar 8 2011, 09:11 PM']Not for that price mate! :)[/quote]

Fair enough. Yes i would be dissapointed im sure, but not too dissapointed for that price. Id expect to pay [i]at least [/i]a thousand Euros more for a genuine Ric of that age.

Edited by daz

[quote name='munkonthehill' post='1154512' date='Mar 8 2011, 09:09 PM']regardless of it being a steal or a bargain..Its still a let down being he thought he was getting the deal of the year only to find out its a fake...

What you going to do now Tomb?[/quote]

no idea... i like the feel of it, i like the weight, i like how thin it is and how it looks, makes me feel all Cliff Burton/Lemmy like, but still its not the real thing. was it a bairgain if it was the real thing? hell yes it was, but again it was a 70 year old man selling it to me after being friends of my family for over 40 years, damn he held me in his arms when i was born... so yes, i would believe that we would pass on a Rickenbacker to me since none of his children ever liked music

now i just feel like crap and have no idea what to do or think...

I think he might have bought it for 200 quid if he had known it was a fake and liked how it played, looked, etc. I think the problem is he was expecting a Ric, really beleived he was getting a good deal and then it turned out not to be true. It is the dissapointment that is the problem, maybe after a few days he will quite enjoy the bass and feel like he got a bargain, despite being dissapointed it wasn't a real Ric.

And as for the family friend, he may genuinely be a really nice guy and was trying to do you a favour. He might not have known it was not a Ric!

[quote name='tomb' post='1154528' date='Mar 8 2011, 09:15 PM']no idea... i like the feel of it, i like the weight, i like how thin it is and how it looks, makes me feel all Cliff Burton/Lemmy like, but still its not the real thing. was it a bairgain if it was the real thing? hell yes it was, but again it was a 70 year old man selling it to me after being friends of my family for over 40 years, damn he held me in his arms when i was born... so yes, i would believe that we would pass on a Rickenbacker to me since none of his children ever liked music

now i just feel like crap and have no idea what to do or think...[/quote]

I fell for you dude id be pretty broke up too i spose. Like when i bought an XR3 and the gearbox blew up the next day :) Oh that was a bad one.

Sounds to me like it was a genuine accident and no con was intented. Like i said so many people think they have a genuine Ric till they come to sell it many years later. Hey ill give you £250 for it no worries. But i think when you have got over your dissapointment you will be keeping it. Especially as its from a family friend. Plug it in and give it a rip, im sure you will fell better after playing a few old faves.

Edited by daz

[quote name='tomb' post='1154528' date='Mar 8 2011, 09:15 PM']no idea... i like the feel of it, i like the weight, i like how thin it is and how it looks, makes me feel all Cliff Burton/Lemmy like, but still its not the real thing. was it a bairgain if it was the real thing? hell yes it was, but again it was a 70 year old man selling it to me after being friends of my family for over 40 years, damn he held me in his arms when i was born... so yes, i would believe that we would pass on a Rickenbacker to me since none of his children ever liked music

now i just feel like crap and have no idea what to do or think...[/quote]

I totally dig what your saying now mate, its more of a moral dilemma. This fella may believe this to be an original and also feels he has done you an amazing favour by passing this onto you for a snip of the real price.

By selling it on may hurt his feelings if he ever questions where it is or how your getting on with it.

However you are now 250 less than you had and still dont have a Ric. I would just say to him and take it from there.

[quote name='munkonthehill' post='1154538' date='Mar 8 2011, 09:21 PM']I totally dig what your saying now mate, its more of a moral dilemma. This fella may believe this to be an original and also feels he has done you an amazing favour by passing this onto you for a snip of the real price.

By selling it on may hurt his feelings if he ever questions where it is or how your getting on with it.

However you are now 250 less than you had and still dont have a Ric. I would just say to him and take it from there.[/quote]

See what he says, he will be more surprized than you i have a feeling more upset if he is a family friend. He thought he was doing you a big favour im sure. He may well offer to buy it back himself. Dont make any quick decisions. Give it a week. Play it some.

Edited by daz

If it looks the part then thats enough too feel Lemmy/Cliff Like for me!

Just be happy man! Maybe you were expecting a real rick! For 250 euro that would have been a crazy price, but for what you good it seems that was a really good deal anyway! And if you really like this bass does it matter that its not a rickenbacker?

Never know, if you picked up a rickenbacker tomorrow no guarentee you'd like it!

Well I've kind of read the whole thing and the following has been said from the start, ''it's a fake'', but you don't seem to see that, ''it's a bargain for a fake'', but you don't see that either. Not happy? stick it on ebay with A BIN £250 and get your money back and let someone else get a bargain.

[quote name='Rickenbacker Bloke']That bass is a fake. To me it looks like an old Ibanez copy.[/quote]

He's entirely wrong. It is absolutely [b]not[/b] an Ibanez, and it isn't any other Japanese brand either. I'm pretty certain this is one of the Italian manufacturers from the 70s (you see those big cream hex-pole humbuckers on late 70/early 80s Eko basses) and at this stage I'm sticking with Gherson.

People who are aware of "lawsuit" copies but haven't actually spent any time studying the instruments tend to think they were all "made by Ibanez". The confusing truth is that none of them were.

J.

Plus since it was never passing itself off as a real Rick, to the extent it doesn't even try and copy fairly major RIC attributes, it isn't a fake, it is just a bass that happens to look similar in some ways.

Also, if ya wanna Lemmy it up, Lemmy probably wasn't playing a real Rick anyway. And his current one is less like 'real' Ricks than plenty of 'fakers'.

You thought you'd get a real Rick for 250 euros???

I don't want to sound patronising, so I wil not say what I was thinking. But, come on.

However... it seems you have a decent bass for the money you paid. You would probably make a profit if you decided to sell it. The family friend could have sold that bass for a bit more, quite probably but he gave it to you for a mere 250 euros. Sounds like a nice deal. It certainly looks cool, although I'd probably change that bridge. It doesn't look good on that bass, and it seems it's a little too wide for the width of the neck: in one of the pictures it seems the E and G strings are right on the edge of the fingerboard.

I can understand it's a disappointment if you expect a real Rick and then you find it isn't, but I hope you will understand it was not a reasonable expectation, and at the end of the day you were not ripped off. If you decide you don't like the bass... I'm sure you'll sell it for more than you paid, easily.

I'm not a fan of Ricks... but it does look nice, I must admit. Nice Cliff Burton vibe, as you said. How does it sound?

sounds good, looks good, feels good but its like expecting a Lamborghini and getting an Audi... engine is the same but its not a Lambo... in this case it looks the same, it might even sound better then the actual Rick (hypothetically) but its not a Rick

[quote name='tomb' post='1154825' date='Mar 9 2011, 01:55 AM']sounds good, looks good, feels good but its like expecting a Lamborghini and getting an Audi... engine is the same but its not a Lambo... in this case it looks the same, it might even sound better then the actual Rick (hypothetically) but its not a Rick[/quote]
True, but look at it another way. You've bought an Audi for Skoda cash! :)

[quote name='tomb' post='1154825' date='Mar 9 2011, 01:55 AM']sounds good, looks good, feels good but its like expecting a Lamborghini and getting an Audi... engine is the same but its not a Lambo... in this case it looks the same, it might even sound better then the actual Rick (hypothetically) but its not a Rick[/quote]
Friend of family = Get your money back, save for a real Rick and learn a life lesson.

Move on..!

[quote name='farmer61' post='1154884' date='Mar 9 2011, 08:04 AM']Friend of family = Get your money back, save for a real Rick and learn a life lesson.

Move on..![/quote]

The lesson in question being that paying £2000-odd for a bass won't stop it from being awkward, uncomfortable, tonally limited, not necessarily spectacularly well-made, and a gargantuan one-trick pony which hasn't evolved for 40 years.

I love the Rick sound & look but would never pay that sort of money for a bass that, because of the above, I know I'd hardly ever play. This is one of the reasons I like Rick copies. That & the fact they're very rare & interesting - any tw@t with more money than sense (or more money than me!) can go & buy a Rickenbacker. :)

J.

So far I have poured well over £700 into my Rickenbastard faker, I am very happy with it, it has a hipshot bridge which seriously sorted out the ludicrous idea that fender spacing on a ric sized neck could work.
Yours seems to have decent pickups in it already, I would say that's a peachy bargain you have there, the new fakers go for twice that, and are about half as good.
Sort the bridge with a ric spaced one, and that thing should be brilliant.
Remember Hooky played a Hondo, and we've all played RIcs that are total dogs in our time.
For a first bass you've lucked in there.
Well done. :)