Why become a member? ×

Help on dating a vintage Fender Tweed Case needed

73Jazz

With my 64 P Bass came a Fender Tweed case, the previous and first owner told me, that he is not sure, when he bought the case, must be around 1967 he said.
As i know that there is a book like vintage price guide for cases, maybe one of you is able to date this case here more exactly or confirms the year 1967.
I know only a little about vintage cases, so every hint you give will be really appreciated.If there is even someone how could say something about value, it would be nice too, if not no problem..i will not sell it:)
just to have the information for me.
Thanks in advance for your kind help

here are the pictures. I do not know which parts are important for dating, but i presume colour inside and latches?

Edited by 73Jazz

[quote name='KK Jale' post='1150601' date='Mar 5 2011, 03:52 PM'][url="http://home.provide.net/~cfh/fender.html#cases"]http://home.provide.net/~cfh/fender.html#cases[/url][/quote]

according to the page this is max a 1963 case
but latches seem to be different

Edited by 73Jazz

[quote name='The Bass Doc' post='1150660' date='Mar 5 2011, 03:52 PM']From it's condition this is likely to be an early 80's re-issue case - they were often supplied alongside 'V' serial numbered USA 57 and 62 style basses in that period.[/quote]

I find I'm in complete agreement with myself - just checked the 1982 tweed case I still have and all the details you have pictured match mine.

[quote name='The Bass Doc' post='1150670' date='Mar 5 2011, 04:02 PM']I find I'm in complete agreement with myself - just checked the 1982 tweed case I still have and all the details you have pictured match mine.[/quote]
What Howard said :)
Just checked my '57 AV case (came with V s/n P-bass bought last year) & it looks identical to OP's pictures, without the wear, + mine has a G&G - Fender original Case - label inside.

I'd say it could be anything from '83ish to present, not much help am I? Unlikely to be '60s though!

[quote name='The Bass Doc' post='1150670' date='Mar 5 2011, 05:02 PM']I find I'm in complete agreement with myself - just checked the 1982 tweed case I still have and all the details you have pictured match mine.[/quote]

I am wondering, as i would never doubt your knowledge.
The guy i bought the bass from is a very honest nearly 70 year old gentleman, who gave the case additional as a bonbon for free.
So he has no profit of telling that this is a 1967 case. Maybe he mixed up with his other stuff or maybe there is a second truth.

Edited by 73Jazz

[quote name='KiOgon' post='1150676' date='Mar 5 2011, 05:13 PM']What Howard said :)
Just checked my '57 AV case (came with V s/n P-bass bought last year) & it looks identical to OP's pictures, without the wear, + mine has a G&G - Fender original Case - label inside.

I'd say it could be anything from '83ish to present, not much help am I? Unlikely to be '60s though![/quote]

They have other latches and the G&G inside..so at least is my 57Ri Case and other actual tweed cases i owned

Edited by 73Jazz

[quote name='73Jazz' post='1150678' date='Mar 5 2011, 04:17 PM']I am wondering, as i would never doubt your knowledge.
The guy i bought the bass from is a very honest nearly 70 year old gentleman, who gave the case additional as a bonbon for free.
So he has no profit of telling that this is a 1967 case. Maybe he mixed up with his other stuff or maybe there is a second truth.[/quote]

Well I am not too far off 70 and can confirm that the memory fades.....or at least I think that's what I just said. :)

[quote name='The Bass Doc' post='1150685' date='Mar 5 2011, 05:24 PM']Well I am not too far off 70 and can confirm that the memory fades.....or at least I think that's what I just said. :)[/quote]

Don`t know for sure..but to avoid misunderstandings..what i wanted to say is, that i wouldn`t question what you have said.
But i wouldn`t do that for the other gentleman as well. So it is me, who is confused and i am far from 70:)

[quote name='KiOgon' post='1150676' date='Mar 5 2011, 05:13 PM']What Howard said :)

I'd say it could be anything from '83ish to present, not much help am I? Unlikely to be '60s though![/quote]

The inside material is different too. Just checked it.
The case you see on my pictures has a really smooth, mellow material like orange plush

the 57 RI Case is completely different to that

[quote name='73Jazz' post='1150679' date='Mar 5 2011, 04:17 PM']They have other latches and the G&G inside..so at least is my 57Ri Case and other actual tweed cases i owned[/quote]
On closer inspection the non locking catch is subtley different, the others pretty much the same.

[quote name='apa' post='1150710' date='Mar 5 2011, 04:47 PM']I find that fine wine, Belgian chocolates and a bunch of flowers usualy helps.......................

A[/quote]

I cannot believe it took till post 14 for this to appear. We are slacking :)

[quote name='owen' post='1151020' date='Mar 5 2011, 10:57 PM']I cannot believe it took till post 14 for this to appear. We are slacking :)[/quote]

I think we're all allowed to do this joke once in our lives - and today it was my turn :)

And now back to the bit about a fender case..................

A

Edited by apa