Why become a member? ×

Away from home insurance

stewblack

I'm sure this has been covered but it will stand reiterating.
I share a lock up with my brother in law. He keeps classic motorcycles and I keep my trailer and speaker cabs. In a reasonably quiet location on a pleasant estate.
Well it got broken into and being just after Christmas I had more stuff than usual in there to make room in the house for the festivities. To cut this short my flight case full of cables, effects pedals, microphones, straps, tools, ear plugs, torch, strings, batteries, fast fret, set lists, recording stuff, power supplies, gaffa tape etc etc etc etc was taken. Either it was too easy (being on wheels) or they got surprised or didn't expect to see such big heavy boxes but that was (thankfully) all they took.
Now I'm a musician, and therefore disorganised, shambolic and utterly dependant on my partner for anything practical. In this case that means my wife. Unbeknown to me she examined our insurance a while back and discovered that my gear is covered under our hose insurance but not anywhere else. For a minor financial adjustment she was able to procure a 'contents away from home' add-on to our policy.
Bear in mind I once caught a punter walking out of a gig with a very nice Strat under his coat belonging not to me but to the band that had just finished, it is all too easy to lose precious kit. I mean to say we've all had to leave stuff in the car in some pretty dodgy locations right?
So as I say - get covered, if I wasn't then I'd be looking at a couple of grand to replace kit and that is money I don't have.
ps she just shouted through to say my camera, mountain bike and all are covered too.

[quote name='Blademan_98' post='1149990' date='Mar 4 2011, 11:39 PM']I have been wondering if I should get insurance now I am gigging on a more regular basis.

Does house insurance cover the stuff if it's at a paid gig?

Perhaps it would be best to get musicians insurance?

(not that I class myself as a musician lol)[/quote]
Entirely up to you how you do it but I just recommend that you do. My stuff is covered in the venue, in the car park, in transit to and from, in rehearsal etc etc

[quote name='Blademan_98' post='1149990' date='Mar 4 2011, 09:39 PM']Does house insurance cover the stuff if it's at a paid gig?[/quote]

I don't know, but it's always wise to specifically disclose any 'material facts' regarding your requirements. A short letter to your insurance company explaining that you take your musical gear (provide a list) out of the house for gigs and require it to be covered while outside of the home.

They should advise if it is covered and/or any conditions they require. If they don't reply then at least you have made the disclosure and it would be hard(er) for them to wriggle out of a claim - assuming you had all-risks cover for a certain value of items in the first place. But that's not as satisfactory as formal confirmation of your cover.

[quote name='stewblack' post='1150054' date='Mar 4 2011, 10:28 PM']Anywhere away from the home is covered. Anywhere.[/quote]

Indeed, but for £48 for my annual, specific musician's insurance (i.e. I specify/list all of my gear in detail so that they would replace the EXACT item) I'm covered for any item/s that are stolen from an unattended vehicle. This could be when you're moving gear in/out of a gig with the boot open or if you park your car in a dodgy item packed full of gear.

I really agree with your advice about getting some insurance for such a small cost and such good cover. However, never had to use it so don't know if they ever actually pay out!

Edited by skej21

A good contents insurance policy will cover lock ups, garages, sheds & any other outbuildings that come with the house & usually within @ 1/4 - 1/2 mile radius (as long as it's locked) without any additional add ons.
Personal belongings/possessions will cover everyday things that you carry on you out & about worldwide (laptops, Mobiles, ipods, cameras, jewellery, etc) & often will cover musical instruments, but you might need to pay an extra premium to have them covered for gigging (some insurance companies won't offer cover if it's for paid gigs). Quite often the PB will only cover theft from a locked vehicle when the items are either concealed in the boot or the glove compartment.

Always read your schedule & call your insurance company if you want to know for sure (calling them usually results in the call being recorded, meaning if they say you're covered for something then there's recorded evidence that you asked).

No points for guessing what my day job is! :)

Yup, I'm an undertaker.