Why become a member? ×

Help Me Please

Pbassman

Can anyone help me?
I have been listening a lot lately to Free and Andy Fraser.
I am being tempted once again by the voices in my head telling me that I really want a Gibson EB-0 or EB-3 (or SG). (My 16 basses are testament to the fact I have sinned greatly in the past, but have been very well behaved for the last couple of years).
I have other Gibsons ('77 Triumph, '76 G3, Les Paul Std) so I am not a stranger to Gibson basses or even short-scale basses, though they are not a preference.
So can anyone tell me how well they play, is the sound as good as Andy Fraser gets it, do they age well, and is an Epiphone (long-scale) version likely to disappoint if I chicken out of going the whole hog? I have heard they are very head heavy.
Thanks.

A few threads on this; try [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=116948&hl=EB3"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=116948&hl=EB3[/url] and particularly check check 9th post down (ELJJ's)

For me it would have to be an old EB-3; still relatively affordable, much more tonal options than the "0", and more grunt than the SG. I'd have thought your Triumph would have ticked most of the boxes though?

Depends on your objective. If you're in a Free or Cream tribute band, then you need an EB3 just for the look. To get the sound, some of that was down to the bass, but the amplication was a big part of it too.

I had a Japanese-made Epi EB3 for a while, and they're supposed to be pretty close to a classic EB3. It made me feel a bit Bruce/Fraser, but I don't think it made it any easier to get the sound. I've had more "wow that sounds like Jack Bruce" moments with an MIJ Precision, or even a Ripper.

You have three fine Gibsons there, so I would say (as a fellow Gibson owner/player) that I would be disappointed by the Epiphone EB-3. That is not to say that all Epis are bad - I love my Epi Les Paul Standard and see no need whatsoever to get a Gibson of that kind. But having owned an Epiphone EB-3 in the past and long since sold it, I wouldn't want one back again, no matter how much I wanted some EB action in my life.

Also, I'd find an old Gibson EB-3 and not the SG reissue. Gibson's current output is so uninspiring to me - half baked reissues which fall well short of the mark in terms of the spirit of the original basses they are supposed to be paying tribute to.