Why become a member? ×

Fairport Convention

gelfin

Guitarist friend of mine asked me quite a while ago if I wanted to go to a Fairport Convention gig. Without thinking I said yeah OK.
Got to the gig and thought to myself "I've heard about them for years but haven't got a clue about the songs they play. (My ignorance) I knew they were folk / rock.
After a couple of songs I found myself really enjoying it. What really grabbed me was that they were all superb musicians and were obviously enjoying playing live. Even though they have been doing it for forty years. Dave Pegg's bass was quite big in the mix which was fine by me.

Why am I posting this? Basically to remind us all that playing music should be a fun and pleasurable experience and to be open minded to all genre's.

If any one can get to see this tour I recommend you make the effort to go.

[quote name='Blademan_98' post='1149023' date='Mar 3 2011, 10:45 PM']I have wanted see Fairport for a while as I had heard there performances were really good.[/quote]

They were playing at The Stables tonight - that completely sold out it seems!
That leaves you with Shrewsbury or Birmingham if you want to see them this side of Cropredy... :)

They really have to be one of the hardest touring bands I've ever come across - they have played 29 gigs in the last 32 days - pretty good going for a band whose combined ages is just under 300 years!

I went to college in Newark with Chris Leslie. Heck of a fiddle player even then. The folk sessions we had in the pubs were amazing... I was playing guitar in DADGAD in those days, don't any more...

I've got several of the classic Fairport LPs but have never seen them live! Really must put that right.

[quote name='icastle' post='1149071' date='Mar 4 2011, 12:18 AM']Cool :)

... and when our time is up we can see all our friends... :)[/quote]

Fair enough, but if you can't make it, I'l be all alone, but that's the only way to be.

So no worries.

[quote name='KK Jale' post='1149073' date='Mar 3 2011, 11:19 PM']I went to college in Newark with Chris Leslie. Heck of a fiddle player even then! The folk sessions we had in the pubs were amazing... I was playing guitar in DADGAD in those days, don't any more...

I've got several of the classic Fairport LPs but I've never seen them live! I've got to put that right.[/quote]

Oh you really [b]have[/b] to see them live - those guys are tighter than a ducks bottom. :)

[quote name='icastle' post='1149048' date='Mar 3 2011, 11:06 PM']They were playing at The Stables tonight - that completely sold out it seems!
That leaves you with Shrewsbury or Birmingham if you want to see them this side of Cropredy... :)[/quote]

I just checked and they have tickets available for the Town Hall Birmingham!

£22 that's cheap for a gig these days :)

Now, if I can just talk the misses into it.........

[quote name='leschirons' post='1149076' date='Mar 3 2011, 11:22 PM']Fair enough, but if you can't make it, I'l be all alone, but that's the only way to be.

So no worries.[/quote]

Never mind, you'll have your chance again, then you can do the work for me - 'cos I'm a lazy b*st*rd :)

[quote name='Blademan_98' post='1149078' date='Mar 3 2011, 11:26 PM']I just checked and they have tickets available for the Town Hall Birmingham!

£22 that's cheap for a gig these days :)

Now, if I can just talk the misses into it.........[/quote]

I know!
I only bought mine this afternoon. :)

A guitarist I do a lot of work with went to see them last year and was totally blown away by them.
His missus wasn't too keen on going because she 'doesn't really like that sort of stuff' and has ended up buying every Fairport CD she can find over the last six months and has been nagging us to do a couple of their songs.

[quote name='icastle' post='1149079' date='Mar 4 2011, 12:27 AM']Never mind, you'll have your chance again, then you can do the work for me - 'cos I'm a lazy b*st*rd :)[/quote]

Bugger, can't go anywhere from here now. :)

Saw most of Fairport in France a couple of years back in a big rock / folk / theatrical production. Absolutely brilliant.

[quote name='leschirons' post='1149086' date='Mar 3 2011, 11:35 PM']Bugger, can't go anywhere from here now. :)

Saw most of Fairport in France a couple of years back in a big rock / folk / theatrical production. Absolutely brilliant.[/quote]

Oh, was that the Excalibur rock opera thing they've been doing?
They're touring it in Europe again this year I think.

[quote name='icastle' post='1149096' date='Mar 4 2011, 12:44 AM']Oh, was that the Excalibur rock opera thing they've been doing?
They're touring it in Europe again this year I think.[/quote]

That's one of the operas yes. I think Martin Barre is now involved as well with that.

We saw them in "Anne de Bretagne", also written by Alain Simon. Also had Les Holroyd in it (bassist from Barclay James Harvest) but doing one of the main vocal parts. Dave Pegg was on bass all night. Great stuff.

Edited by leschirons

[quote name='leschirons' post='1149100' date='Mar 3 2011, 11:54 PM']That's one of the operas yes. I think Martin Barre is now involved as well with that.[/quote]
That wouldn't surprise me, Fairport and Tull have been swapping/sharing band members for years :)

[quote name='leschirons' post='1149100' date='Mar 3 2011, 11:54 PM']We saw them in "Anne de Bretagne", also written by Alain Simon. Also had Les Holroyd in it (bassist from Barclay James Harvest) but doing one of the main vocal parts. Dave Pegg was on bass all night. Great stuff.[/quote]

I love the music I've heard from it but not being a french speaker is a bit of a problem... :)

[quote name='chaypup' post='1149113' date='Mar 4 2011, 12:13 AM']I used to have one of Dave Pegg's old basses - it was a pearl Riverhead that he'd had defretted. Very nice it was too![/quote]

Last time I saw him he was back on Ibanez again.
I'll try and play 'name that bass' at the weekend. :)

I've played bass in a band with Chris Leslie - one of the nicest & most talented musicians you could ever hope to meet...and he even makes his own violins!
:)

[quote name='KK Jale' post='1149075' date='Mar 3 2011, 11:22 PM']I went to college in Newark with Chris Leslie. Heck of a fiddle player even then. The folk sessions we had in the pubs were amazing... I was playing guitar in DADGAD in those days, don't any more...

I've got several of the classic Fairport LPs but have never seen them live! Really must put that right.[/quote]

[quote name='99ster' post='1149141' date='Mar 4 2011, 01:08 AM']I've played bass in a band with Chris Leslie - one of the nicest & most talented musicians you could ever hope to meet...and he even makes his own violins!
:)[/quote]

Wow, great! What band was that? And yes, he's one of the loveliest (and most musical) blokes you could imagine.

We were both at college to learn violin-making... he had more talent in that as well :)

I also went to Newark Tech, but a few years after Chris Leslie!
I've seen Fairport live a few times, the last time was at Glastonbury a couple of years ago. I watched the set from about 10' in front of Dave Pegg, I'd always loved his playing but seeing it that close up was awsome. He was playing a Crafter Centaur bass , I did some research and they were about £300, not usually found in the uk.

Edited by Dom in Somerset

I've seen Fairport dozens of times, both at Cropredy & on tour.
Absolutely superb band & a great bunch of musicians (past & present) - Peggy is a legend & Simon Nicol is a very under-rated guitarist.
Missed them in Cardiff last night as I just didn't have the money.

[quote name='RhysP' post='1149485' date='Mar 4 2011, 02:25 PM']I've seen Fairport dozens of times, both at Cropredy & on tour.
Absolutely superb band & a great bunch of musicians (past & present) - Peggy is a legend & Simon Nicol is a very under-rated guitarist.
Missed them in Cardiff last night as I just didn't have the money.[/quote]

And a thoroughly nice bunch of chaps as well - you'll spot them queuing at the bar like everyone else and are very much of the attitude that its the audience that makes the whole thing worthwhile.

I occasionally see chris leslie on the bus to work in the morning.. and drink in some of the same pubs as Dave and Chris. I'll be going back to Cropredy this year after a 2 year break..seeing fairport every year does get a bit boring after 15 years on the trott. Yeah they are a bit good though.