Why become a member? ×

Fairport Convention

gelfin

[url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Meet-Ledge-History-Fairport-Convention/dp/0906008468/ref=sr_1_5?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1299508957&sr=1-5"]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Meet-Ledge-History...8957&sr=1-5[/url]

There's also a newer edition, but that's also out of print.
I think I might still have a copy of that somewhere, so if you have trouble finding one, PM me and I'll lend you mine.

[quote name='mart' post='1152536' date='Mar 7 2011, 02:44 PM'][url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Meet-Ledge-History-Fairport-Convention/dp/0906008468/ref=sr_1_5?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1299508957&sr=1-5"]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Meet-Ledge-History...8957&sr=1-5[/url]

There's also a newer edition, but that's also out of print.
I think I might still have a copy of that somewhere, so if you have trouble finding one, PM me and I'll lend you mine.[/quote]

Thats the one! :)

Seen them at Cropredy about 20 times but haven't bothered the last couple of years as I found I wasn't even watching them on the Saturday night. For me they have gone downhill since Dave Mattacks and Martin Allcock left. A bit too trad sounding now. Just not my cup of tea.

I went to see them at St Albans. They played the whole of the Babbacombe Lee album, which I must admit was superbly played, but frankly isn't my favourite Fairport stuff. They also played a lot of new songs in the second half, but wrapped up with a few faves. Not the most enjoyable gig I've seen of theirs (having done various gigs as well as several Cropredys inc one of the older ones when Robert Plant did a surprise appearance).

Best moment of the night - Simon Nichol stopping a song a few bars in 'cos he'd forgotten to put his glasses on... rock 'n' roll, eh?

Must admit I never really used to like Ric Sanders, but he's grown on me. Still not a great fan of Maart though, so Chris Leslie is fine by me :)

ahh fairport, i got into them a couple of years ago (december of 2009) a friend was given 2 tickets for the acoustic tour they were doing, Alnwick playhouse, we were front row centre, amazingly tight, a most enjoyable experience and then after the gig most of the band were out chatting to us, such a nice down to earth group of guys, all signed our programmes and chatted merrily about playing, giving tips and advice, we ended up on the stage chatting to the drummer while he was packing up, (we were led there by Peggy when he noticed we were missing a signature on the programmes, something like oh you're missing one, where is he, follow me we'll find him, next thing you know we're standing on stage surrounded by all the kit.)
i'd have to reccommend them to anyone even if you're not a folk fan, they are an inspiration and a great example of what music should be - FUN!

Oh and i think Peggy was playing 5 string Vintage that evening, sounded excellent.

[quote name='Matt P' post='1153510' date='Mar 8 2011, 10:30 AM']I'd have to reccommend them to anyone even if you're not a folk fan, they are an inspiration and a great example of what music should be - FUN![/quote]

+1

They take music far more seriously than they do themselves and that's a big part of what sets them apart from just about every band I've ever seen.

As people on here often say - 'if you aren't having fun, why do it?' :)

[quote name='spinynorman' post='1153279' date='Mar 8 2011, 01:16 AM']So if anyone wants to sell a reasonably clean copy of the Humphries Meet on the Ledge book for less than £20, PM me.

Why is when I want to sell an out of print book on Amazon there's hundreds for 1p + postage, but if I want to buy one ....[/quote]

I've found my copy. It's definitely not for sale, but if you can't find one to buy, and you want to borrow mine, I'd be happy to lend it.

[quote name='mart' post='1155102' date='Mar 9 2011, 11:38 AM']I've found my copy. It's definitely not for sale, but if you can't find one to buy, and you want to borrow mine, I'd be happy to lend it.[/quote]

Thanks, I really appreciate the offer. I've just bought the Ashley Hutchings bio, so that should keep me happy for a bit, and if I borrow yours it'll probably only make me want it more, so looks like I'm talking myself into paying some outrageous price for one.

Had the first album on in the car on a trip to London - it really was grossly under-rated.

Edited by spinynorman

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='ickleben' post='1149600' date='Mar 4 2011, 04:04 PM']I occasionally see chris leslie on the bus to work in the morning.. and drink in some of the same pubs as Dave and Chris. I'll be going back to Cropredy this year after a 2 year break..seeing fairport every year does get a bit boring after 15 years on the trott. Yeah they are a bit good though.[/quote]

I've just seen Chris Leslie having a bar meal in the Red Lion in Adderbury.....

[quote name='4-string-thing' post='1168406' date='Mar 19 2011, 04:04 PM']He's obviously a local.... no one could afford to stay here and eat! :)[/quote]

I was surprised actually - £50 a night with breakfast included.
I've stayed in far worse looking places than that over the years for not a lot less!

[quote name='icastle' post='1168460' date='Mar 19 2011, 04:47 PM']I was surprised actually - £50 a night with breakfast included.
I've stayed in far worse looking places than that over the years for not a lot less![/quote]

Actually, it is quite nice! Though 2 nights here with my G/F has cost me about as much as a week in Greece! (or a s/h MIM Fender) :)

[quote name='4-string-thing' post='1170098' date='Mar 20 2011, 09:43 PM']Ha ha... you mean the tourist hot-spot of NW Leics?

For anyone who's not familiar with the place, it really is as glamourous as it sounds!

Mind you, its only a few miles down the road from me.....[/quote]

Coalville - If the world had piles, that's where they'd be... :)

[quote name='icastle' post='1170109' date='Mar 20 2011, 09:51 PM']Coalville - If the world had piles, that's where they'd be... :)[/quote]

Mind you, I played at The Vic bikers pub there a few months ago and the place was packed....a brilliant gig!

It probably helped that the rest of the band are locals though....

[quote name='4-string-thing' post='1170118' date='Mar 20 2011, 09:54 PM']Mind you, I played at The Vic bikers pub there a few months ago and the place was packed....a brilliant gig!

It probably helped that the rest of the band are locals though....[/quote]

I've seen it but I've never been in - I kinda figured that they didn't mean mountain bikes... :)

+1s to all the positives about Fairport. Peggy is my biggest and longest serving bass influence, always takes the time to chat and offer a few down-to-earth nuggets of bassy wisdom. Bloody ace bloke, and I've never heard anyone say anything to the contrary.

The first 'proper' band I ever saw was Fairport in the back room of the Half Moon, Putney. I remember being most impressed by the epic tray of alcoholic beverages Johnny Jones left on the stage just before showtime. (Somebody said they were the British Grateful Dead with real ale instead of LSD...) It was sweaty, hot and as good natured as you could ever hope to enjoy.

Peggy and Simon invited me in to hang out and watch them sound check on my 16th birthday (n+x years ago), Peggy even got a stereo line off the desk so I could have a recording of my birthday gig, what a geezer! Swarb was most apologetic when he inadverently wee'd on my foot in Farnham Maltings almost as long ago, and I was as relieved as anyone else when Rick was finally persuaded to turn his bloody phaser off for 5 minutes. I've watched with nerdy interest as Peggy's gone through that lovely Precision, Riverheads, Musicmans(?men), Rob Armstrong customs and various Ibanez(ez), Ashdown, Randall and Trace. And a Boss chorus pedal.

I couldn't bring myself to see them on this tour, though. They remain, without doubt, tight, musical and good fun but seem a little insipid compared to former times. I remember when they used to take the p*ss out of The Spinners (who they seemed to follow on tours of fading seaside theatres) mocking their PA with a tiny megaphone. It seems that they may be moving into that league now though...

Mind you, I hope I'll be able to be tread the boards with that much confidence and dignity when I'm past 60...

Edited by bassninja