Why become a member? ×

Hello from Oxford

Paultrader

Hello Everyone,

Recently joined and thought I'd introduce myself. Been playing bass for many, many years, and like nothing more than being out there gigging. Being the bassman is definitely the best place to be in any band.

I currently play in a 10 piece soul band - here's the website: www.oxfordsoul.com
I also play in a barn dance band called Tumbledown Dick. Don't laugh, it's good fun and also much more lucrative!

I've always liked Fenders best, and I'm a four string only man. For years I used Trace Elliot gear which has an amazing sound, but just seemed to get heavier and heavier, especially at 1.30 a.m. on Sunday mornings when I was unloading the car after a gig. I've recently gone over to TC Electronics which is a dream come true - good sound, loud and easy to transport. I don't use any pedals - just set up the sound I like and stick with that.

My one regret was trading a two-colour sunburst Precision bass years ago (early 80s) for a Fender Mustang (I played rhythm guitar for a time). I'm now convinced that it was an early one, probably '61 or '62 or even older - I'd bought it in'73 and it was old then. What a plonker!

Paul

[quote name='Paultrader' post='1148979' date='Mar 3 2011, 09:59 PM']I hail from that comfy space between Oxford and Witney![/quote]

It might excite you to find that this site was started many moons ago from Witney! My parents still live there.

Eynsham - great little place! The husband and wife team are still in Tumbledown Dick. She gave up playing bass and is just the caller now. I plonk away happily - without a drummer I've developed quite a percussive style. The soul band is where I massage my ego!

Oxford has a busy music scene. That's interesting about the forum starting in Witney.

Actually it's quite interesting being in this folk band. The tune players are top notch. The fiddler is ex - LSO and to keep the amusement up we add variations. One 32 bar tune we play eight times through for the dance, so we play it in eight different keys - it's easier for me than for the guitarist who has to play loads of bar chords!

The punters don't notice of course - they're too busy swingin' their partners etc.

Thanks for all the greetings folks, and it's good to find out that I don't live in a completely anonymous spot!

This seems like a good chatroom. I've experienced others where everyone bitches all the time - there's a good feeling to this one. Perhaps bass players are (basically) just nice people!

Paul