Why become a member? ×

Slight difference in tone

norvegicusbass

When I play with my fingers and pluck the same note as you would in a driving bass line there seems a slight difference in tone between my index and middle finger. Its noticeable to me if not to others but I am getting into the habit of plucking these type of bass lines with one finger when the speed allows. Anyone else have this problem? I am wondering if my fingers are attacking the strings at a more pronounced angle as the body of my bass is so wide ( acoustic ).

I think it's probably a mix between the callous theory already mentioned here and the difference in angle between the middle and fore fingers as they hit the string.

If it really bugs you then try rotating your wrist just slightly when your middle finger is about to hit the string.

Another alternative would be to cut the top of your middle finger off to make it the same length as the forefinger... :)

[quote name='icastle' post='1147737' date='Mar 2 2011, 09:43 PM']Another alternative would be to cut the top of your middle finger off to make it the same length as the forefinger... :)[/quote]

Haha!! I wouldn't recommend it. The 'new' skin will be rather sensitive when playing the string.

But really, I am missing the tip of one of my fingers which stops me playing triplets with 3 fingers. It just doesn't reach the strings!

Dan

[quote name='pietruszka' post='1147774' date='Mar 2 2011, 10:11 PM']But really, I am missing the tip of one of my fingers which stops me playing triplets with 3 fingers. It just doesn't reach the strings![/quote]

That's gotta be a right nuiscance - do you avoid playing triplets or have you managed to master playing them with just two?

A guitarist I work with a lot managed to lose one of his left fingers at the knuckle about 15 years back - being a stubborn git he taught himself to play guitar left handed. :)

[quote]a slight difference in tone[/quote]
If it really [b]is[/b] a slight difference, then, I wouldn't worry about it. That's one of the differences between man and machine. In the past, producers and musicians alike will have spent hours programming their sequencers to get that "slight difference in tone". Nowt wrong with using one finger if you really want that machine-like quality.