Why become a member? ×

peavey tnt 115?

Looper

I dont' believe this model has the black widow speaker in it? If so then check it out first as the original speaker can get abused easily and start flapping under gigging load. A pupil of mine bought a TNT115 almost new a few years ago and then it started to flap and it was quite annoying. I put him in touch with a BC'er who was selling a black widow loaded cab. He got it and we swapped the speakers around. Wow, what a difference. He is blasting now with no problems and has a 2nd 15" cab for those monolithic stack rock moments.

[quote name='mep' post='1146572' date='Mar 1 2011, 11:17 PM']I dont' believe this model has the black widow speaker in it? If so then check it out first as the original speaker can get abused easily and start flapping under gigging load. A pupil of mine bought a TNT115 almost new a few years ago and then it started to flap and it was quite annoying. I put him in touch with a BC'er who was selling a black widow loaded cab. He got it and we swapped the speakers around. Wow, what a difference. He is blasting now with no problems and has a 2nd 15" cab for those monolithic stack rock moments.[/quote]

Peavey sold two different TNT115 models.
There was the TNT115 which had a Blue somethingorother driver and the TNT115-BW which had the Black Widow driver.

The BW will take some abuse.... the combos with them were hard working.

It depends on what sound you want as to how much use this will be to you, though.
If the chassis is in good conditon, it should be good for some classik rock sounds.

[quote name='icastle' post='1146639' date='Mar 2 2011, 12:39 AM']Peavey sold two different TNT115 models.
There was the TNT115 which had a Blue somethingorother driver and the TNT115-BW which had the Black Widow driver.[/quote]
The Blue Marvel speaker is the cheaper option.

If you can get the Black Widow option then rock on.

Years ago I had a TNT150 with the bi-amped top cab & loved it.

Edited by mep

Hi, one more quick question. What would anyone think is a fair price to pay for one of these? I'm in ireland so things are a bit dearer here, but just looking for a ball park figure to work from.
Thanks again for all the input.

[quote name='Looper' post='1149054' date='Mar 3 2011, 11:09 PM']Hi, one more quick question. What would anyone think is a fair price to pay for one of these? I'm in ireland so things are a bit dearer here, but just looking for a ball park figure to work from.
Thanks again for all the input.[/quote]

I've seen the TNT115BW going for around £230 in 'immaculate condition'.
The TNT115 was about £40 or £50 cheaper when new, so around £200 for one of those would be reasonable.

I had a 115 with a black widow and was easily a better sound than my top of the range Ashdown rig that blew up 18 months ago! I only changed rig because as someone said earlier it won't match a Marshall 4x12 which is exactly what our guitarist bought. Heavy and awkward but great sound and good volume for £2-300 I wouldn't hesitate if that was my budget :)

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1149127' date='Mar 4 2011, 12:35 AM']I had a 115 with a black widow and was easily a better sound than my top of the range Ashdown rig that blew up 18 months ago! I only changed rig because as someone said earlier it won't match a Marshall 4x12 which is exactly what our guitarist bought. Heavy and awkward but great sound and good volume for £2-300 I wouldn't hesitate if that was my budget :)[/quote]
You're going to have to show your guitarist the volume control. It might take a lot of explanation but they get there in the end.

[quote name='GarethFlatlands' post='1149707' date='Mar 4 2011, 05:41 PM']I use one of the older, non red fronted ones and it sounds really good. Picked it up for £150 which was a bit of a bargain.

It's heavy though, I can barely carry it because of the awkward size and top mounted handle. And I'm very weedy.[/quote]

Yes, the handle is pretty useless where it is.
Some heavy duty castors on the bottom and/or a couple of side mounted handles would be a good investment. :)

[quote name='icastle' post='1149749' date='Mar 4 2011, 06:24 PM']Yes, the handle is pretty useless where it is.
Some heavy duty castors on the bottom and/or a couple of side mounted handles would be a good investment. :)[/quote]
Massive now with bad posture and exclusively using light weight gear +1 !!!

I'll go with everyone else here looper. These are great wee combos.

I played with one for maybe 10 to 12 years in all sorts of venues. Ultra reliable and a good meaty sound. Bloody heavy but very tough.

Not certain about value but around £200 sounds OK.

Here's another decent deal if you live near Belfast.

[url="http://belfast.gumtree.com/belfast/56/75279456.html"]http://belfast.gumtree.com/belfast/56/75279456.html[/url]

Frank.