Why become a member? ×

Your personal practise space

Huw

I thought this fairly pertinent to good technique and also posture, so what is your actual practise space like?

I ask because I think my current set up is pretty uncomfortable and that's no doubt having a knock on effect on my desire to practise and, therefore, my playing in general.

These days, I'm perched on the edge of the sofa; where it's more wood than fabric. Trying to juggle my bass from resting on my right knee and sitting in between my legs. I considered buying something like a drum stool (or 'throne' as I see drummers have taken to calling it :)) or perhaps I should lug my stuff into my bedroom and sit on the bed like when I was a teenager. Or maybe a bean bag.

Just curious as to what you all tend to do. Have you got a special corner you skulk off to, or a comfy chair? Or not worry about it and just play wherever you feel or stand up, even?

I have the "box" room in our house. Basically, a 3 bed semi with the smallest bedroom used for the PC and my gear.

I try stand more, rather than sit, as standing is my position when playing live. But when I do sit, my problem is that my chair, although comfortable, has arms which means I have to sit almost side saddle. I did see a video on YouTube where the person sat on one of those gym balls (almost like a Space Hopper without the handles!) as he said it was much better for his posture, plus no restrictions.

Can't be doing with trying to practice sat on a sofa, etc. as the position is so unnatural.

+ 1 for the gymball idea.

as a physio, i spend all day trying to sort out backs/posture etc, so the idea of sitting for hours slumped over the bass, on the edge of a bed playing/practising is horrifying.....it'll play havoc with your spine (eventually).

you should ideally sit for shorter periods, but have your lower back supported. other than that, STAND.... its a more natural posture for playing, and the strap should take most of the weight evenly.

Edited by kdphysio

I agree - practice in the position you play in. I stand when I play (more comfortable) and, consequently, practice standing up.

My practice space doubles as a PC based home studio and includes 2 basses, 4 guitars, two amps, a piano/midi copntroller, mixer and all the usual computer stuff. It also includes a computer chair which has no arms so I can play the bass whilst I sit in it (but only for specific pieces of work like transcribing) and a soft chair (again, no arms) for sitting and listening to music (e.g. following an orchestral score or just enjoying a new cd). I have a conventional hi-fi (cd/tape/record player/tuner) and all my cds/tapes/records (my portable stuff is on an MP3 player - much less hassle than cd or tape walkmans, methinks). The room also has a phone in it, it is warm in the winter and cool in the summer.

Its my little piece of heaven and is strucutured on the basis of 27 years of insight (and a similar number of years of income!!). I think it is important to be comfortable when you are practising as you will get on with the work you are there to do and not sit there thinking about your physical environment. Transribing tunes takes hours of painstaking investment and you will not achieve the outcomes you want if you are uncomfortable.

I tend to practice through my headphone amp 99.9% of the time so I can hear every nuance of my playing and really play clean and hone my playing. Thus, my practice space at home tends to be standing up in front of the kitchen/work table with my Pandora and iPod (sometimes my laptop chips in). When I sit I sit ala classical guitar but with the guitar slightly more slung than propped, if you get my meaning. I love this setup because I can practice virtually anywhere, sitting down, standing up, in noise, in quiet, and I don't disturb anyone. I can practice technique, theory, grooves, rhythm, do transcription, the list is endless. It's portable, it's light, it's wonderful!

Mark

I have a wife and two children and when they are busy- I run to the living room and try to get a good 15 minutes in- either thru a small practice amp with ipod or thru the tascam cdbass trainer- stood up looking at my aging self in the mirror- I look a lot better looking with an expensive bass!!

A little and often works

Cheers

Bob

15' by 14' study wih the PC in it and work surfaces all round so loads of space in the centre. The big combo fits under the worktop so is out of the way. I have a tall bar stool type of thing that's comfortable for playing or I'll proactice standing up. We also have a hard chair in the study which is also just right for playing.

Daughter's keyboard - has a drum machine thing on it - and our Yamaha Pacifica guitar I was going to learn 5 years ago!!

Looking to soundproof the study at some point.