Why become a member? ×

Interesting to find out how much you'd pay for these

Kubickiboy

[quote name='cpt059' post='1139429' date='Feb 24 2011, 12:51 AM']what tuning system is the kubicki using?

adam[/quote]

All Kubicki ExFactors have the same tuning/bridge system, custom made by Kubicki. The advantage it has over some headless basses is that it is designed to use regular strings (ie: not double ball-end). I have one currently strung with Ernie Ball Slinkys.

Basically you string them in reverse: the ball end of the string sits in a small cavity above the nut and the other end of the string sits in a hole on a rotating cog wheel on the bridge end. The cogs are ratcheted, you first tighten them as much as possible by hand and then rotate the tuning knobs to bring them up to the correct pitch. It sounds complicated but is easy to do.

The action and intonation are also very easy to adjust.

Edited by matski

Thanks for your replies.

The Kubicki scratchplate was fitted by a small luthier in West Yorkshire called Adam Robinson. Very through and extremely well done. I sketched out a plan and he came back a couple of months later with a brand new antique white finish and scratchplate. It's a 9v model.

The Status, again custom made in 2000.

I am toying with the idea of downsizing to a MM Sterling or Fender Marcus Jazz and going back to basics with just one amp and a tuner!. Maybe keep my Sansamp BDDI for good measure. But I need an active cct as I play a lot of slap.

Thought I'd open it up as I don't know the current state of the market...

[quote name='Kubickiboy' post='1139252' date='Feb 23 2011, 09:47 PM']Interesting to find out how much you'd pay for these, Kubicki Ex Factor 4 & Status 5 S2 headed[/quote]
Hiya
you might find it helpful to change the headline which is what we see in the 'For Sale: Basses' thread...The speculation might put people off,
good luck with the sale, joe

He's retired and I've found a new meme I like more! :)

As it happens I've had the Kubicki out this week playing along to a few old 80's pop records. It gives the ultimate 80's sound; I remember one video of youtube of a guy playing Heathrow by Level 42 on his Kubicki and it just sounded incredible. Yum yum.